Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM

65 posts, read 267,204 times

Advertisements

I have a question my daughter started school of course on Monday and she attends hs in Garner. I was very surprised when she told me that there were quite a number of students pregnant attending the school. Are there not any HS for pregnant teenagers?? I feel that the students should attend school just for pregnant teenagers until they have their babies. It would be so much safer for them and I personally would prefer my child not to attend school with pregnant hs teenagers.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni007 View Post
I have a question my daughter started school of course on Monday and she attends hs in Garner. I was very surprised when she told me that there were quite a number of students pregnant attending the school. Are there not any HS for pregnant teenagers?? I feel that the students should attend school just for pregnant teenagers until they have their babies. It would be so much safer for them and I personally would prefer my child not to attend school with pregnant hs teenagers.
They don't send pregnant teens away anymore. I know some areas have schools schools set up to keep the girls in school for their education, but I am not aware that Raleigh has any.

Yes, they have made bad choices....but pregnancy is not contagious. They won't harm your daughter. If you talk to your daughter, make sure she has the facts and is in a supporting family enviorment, she won't look at motherhood as an escape or a glamourous way of being 'adult'.

And honestly, if anyone needs to stay in school, it's a teen that is soon to be a mother.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
There is no special school for pregnant teens. They go to school with everyone else and thank heavens they are staying in school no matter where they go!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Best bet is for parents to get involve with the schools in improving their education in sex absentance.

I think people move here to enjoy lower taxes and creating a school that may be used for around 9 months when their is a need for more schools for general population in the counties experiencing higher than normal enrollment is just bad economics.

Your kid is not going to get pregnant by being around pregnant students. Being a good parent who communicates well with the child will help them live a life that is closer to your moral values.

What next a special schools for gays, jews, little people, those who have no legs.

I dont think the general population should pay for your moral values.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Actually, seeing the consequences of poor planning may help her avoid similar mistakes.

My daughter grew up in NYC. One day, we were on 14th St and saw 7 NYPD officers beating hell out of a man crazed on PCP. He was filled with such power that he kept throwing the officers off of him.

One cop told my daughter and her friends "See what happens when you do drugs?"

It was a very good lesson.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
I distinctly remember a girl in my high school in Miami getting pregnant when we were at the end of our junior year, this was back in the late '90s. She stayed in school through her pregnancy. If anything, seeing her pregnancy was a constant reminder to the rest of us of what happens when you make irreponsible choices!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,843 times
Here is the WCPSS policy on pregnant students.

Quote:
6760: Pregnant students

The Board assumes responsibility for providing continuing educational opportunities for the pregnant student. The following reasonable safeguards shall be exercised.

Upon notification that a student is pregnant, the school shall assess the need for changes in the student's program on an individual basis.

Any decision to modify the student's program shall be made only after consultation with the student, parent or guardian, and medical consultant, as appropriate.

A pregnant student cannot be denied access to any educational program or extra curricular activity where reasonable modifications can be made to accommodate her pregnancy.

The school shall make referrals for services to community agencies in situations judged to be beneficial to the students.

Any service available to a student who is temporarily disable for any medical and/or physical reason shall not be denied to a pregnant student.

Adopted: May 4, 1981
Revised: May 20, 1991

Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,150,426 times
Forcing pregnant teens into a special school is a violation of Title IX. If there were a school it would have to be totally voluntary. However, I attended Wake County Schools 24+ years ago and as far as I know there has never been a school for pregnant teens here.

Also, ALL children 16 and under are required to attend school in NC, even if they are pregnant or parents.

There is a lot of good information for those kids, schools, and caregivers here: School of Government

Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Thank heaven they can finish their education to help provide for their children.

I feel really sorry to see young ladies end their childhood at such a young age. They will miss so much by being forced into adulthood prematurely.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 PM

112 posts, read 491,638 times
I lol'd when the women said she didn't want her child going to school with pregnant girls.

HAHAHAAH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education