Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,025 times

Advertisements

Photo tour of $116M Wellesley High School

Am I that out of touch or is the price tag for this school seem really outrageous? Or is it a very large school (I can't find a square footage figure)? If it is large, don't like that much either: personally I think large schools create an oppressive, impersonal and factory-like atmosphere for the kids, not to mention the fact that additional (and needless) stress will be created because those students will probably literally have to run to class if this is another district that imposes some ridiculously short inter-class time period so popular these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
First impressions can shock and awe a lot of people into thinking $116M = QUALITY education.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Here in Texas the going rate for an urban high school for 3000 students is between $100-$125M. I think that will be about 400,000 sq. ft and should include a mix of theater arts and athletic facilities in addition to the classrooms, science labs, library, etc. That would also include parking lots, etc.

It will not be extravagant but it will be attractive and designed for many decades of use.

Compare to the $578M public school built in Los Angeles a few years ago for 4,000 students. That was an outrageous abuse of taxpayer money.

Los Angeles unveils new $578 million public school, the most expensive in the country | syracuse.com

Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Seems on the high side to me. We had a secondary school open in 2005. It serves about 2,000 students and the cost estimates to build it were in the mid $65 million range.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Seems on the high side to me. We had a secondary school open in 2005. It serves about 2,000 students and the cost estimates to build it were in the mid $65 million range.
Secondary = middle school? If so, that price seems in the ballpark, even for that many students.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,362 times
Most of world's most valuable and profitable cos. have rather cheap suburban offices w/lots of millionaire and billionaire employees who work far harder/smarter than 99+% of other workers....think Apple, Google, Oracle, Microsoft, etc

Costly skyscrapers/campuses suggest cos. w/crappy stock prices and profitability....and unproductive, entitled workers and execs (and dumb shareholders whose money is being squandered)

In online era, fancy bricks and mortar campuses, whether for K-12 or college, public or pvt, simply represent corrupt, Luddite fleecing of taxpayer who subsidizes any of this crap (through taxes, tax subsidies for pvt schools and ultimately for taxpayer bailouts when the college credit bubble/scam pops, much like housing)

In era of tech/Net/kindle/khanacademy, etc, if anything, cost of any education should be plummeting along with cost of computing power....dramatic deflation not inflation

Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,712,733 times
The nice thing is that school expenditures like this are locally controlled. The community voted in the school board that elected to build it.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Secondary = middle school? If so, that price seems in the ballpark, even for that many students.
It is a combined middle/high school, but from what I was just reading, the district didn't have any land costs which helped to keep the cost down.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That is on the very low side of a building for a school that size really. In our old town they built a very reasonable high school, had the land donated and their performing arts center funded by a local business and the overall cost was $65 million for a school that houses 900 students. With various grants, etc. the town only had to pay about 35 million though.

Student Data

School profile for that high school....the cost for that school is OUTRAGEOUS for a school that size, 1294 students in the high school. Unless they are expecting an influx of a several thousand students in the next couple years I would NOT be happy.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is on the very low side of a building for a school that size really. In our old town they built a very reasonable high school, had the land donated and their performing arts center funded by a local business and the overall cost was $65 million for a school that houses 900 students. With various grants, etc. the town only had to pay about 35 million though.

Student Data

School profile for that high school....the cost for that school is OUTRAGEOUS for a school that size, 1294 students in the high school. Unless they are expecting an influx of a several thousand students in the next couple years I would NOT be happy.
That is indeed very expensive for so few students unless the actual building is anticipated to hold more.

I did some looking in Virginia - and noticed Fairfax county is spending $85M right now to renovate an existing high high school. Most of Fairfax county's high schools are 3,000 range (I think).

None of this is anywhere near as crazy as over half a billion for that school in Los Angeles. The voters that approved that are nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education