Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times

Advertisements

Yahoo! News

First, I do not let me kids ride on the bus anymore because of a bullying incident, but this story sent chills up my spine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
That's a horrible story, but.... our bus drivers have some kind of system on the bus that they could use to call for help. Not sure why this bus did not have that. The bus driver should have pulled over and called and waited until help came, imo.

Oh, and one other thing, have the victim sit down at the front of the bus near you if you are the driver.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
More than likely, I will not be having my son ride the bus to or from school at any age. Not because of this story. I've always known this is where soooo many fights break out, and there's very little a kid can do to protect him/herself.

Some districts, if not all, should have a second adult on the bus specifically to keep the kids under control (or at least get the names of those who misbehave so they can ban them). A bus driver = NO supervision, because he absolutely has to keep his eyes on the road.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 AM

Time on the school bus takes place with little and no structure and many problems arise. Some districts equip the driver with a Radio that communicates with the bus garage. In these days, nobody had a cell phone to dial 911. If you look at schools today, you see more and more car riders.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
More than likely, I will not be having my son ride the bus to or from school at any age. Not because of this story. I've always known this is where soooo many fights break out, and there's very little a kid can do to protect him/herself.

Some districts, if not all, should have a second adult on the bus specifically to keep the kids under control (or at least get the names of those who misbehave so they can ban them). A bus driver = NO supervision, because he absolutely has to keep his eyes on the road.
My granddaughter has been riding the bus since she was in kindergarten. We have neighbors who were protective of her. The only problem she had was at one point a child tried to take her thermos and back pack. The school took action for that and she did get her things back.

The buses here are for k-4 (elementary), then for middle school (5-6), jr high (7-8) and high school (9-12). I am not sure what we will do next year. She will probably be driven as she has begun to have problems with some bullies this year. She has asperger's and is not very socially aware and it can be a problem.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Our buses have video camera's, and the footage is reviewed each day. It's very useful if an incident is reported to go back and check the footage.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Not to mention this crash today:

Bus Driver And Child Die In Indianapolis School Bus Crash (VIDEO)

We don't have school buses here so it's not an option. Where we are moving does have 'em but I think I will drive the kids myself.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Not to mention this crash today:

Bus Driver And Child Die In Indianapolis School Bus Crash (VIDEO)

We don't have school buses here so it's not an option. Where we are moving does have 'em but I think I will drive the kids myself.

To be honest Oberero, these incidents are an eye-opener. I feel better driving, and so do the numerous car riders that join me every morning and afternoon. I would suspect if parents felt confident, then they would all be taking the bus.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
I kid you not, today I was sitting at a red light with a school bus 2 cars in front of me. The left turn lane got the green arrow, and what do ya know, the school bus goes straight through the red light. And this was around the time the driver was dropping kids off at home as I followed her for a while when we got to the light. I couldn't believe it. Thankfully no accident happened.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
All this sensationalism! My educated guess is that riding the bus is safer than being driven in a private car. Too tired to google it tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education