Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times

Advertisements

Moravian is a great school. The music teacher went to HS with my daughter. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,590 times
Really? You're going to put your kids through nearly a 3 hour commute and spend that kind of money? Gosh....I hope there's another option. Good luck. Must be a tough thought process.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
It sounds as though the OP is happy with her decision to send her daughter to private school. And it sounds as though her daughter is really enjoying the new school, which is very important.

The long (nearly 3 hour) commute, the early wake up time (5AM) and the extra homework demands sound a bit daunting to me. But maybe the added social opportunities for the OP's daughter and the more academically focused peer group are worth all of that.

Personally, I would probably send my child to the public school (unless there were safety concerns) and then fill in any educational gaps at home.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Now, if there's a trip to China this summer (she's taking Chinese) we will be in trouble. There's a definite wealth issue with some kids that we're already noticing. Everyone has iPhones; my daughter has a Tracfone (yes, this is sixth grade we're talking about -- but she's two counties away, and we wanted her to be able to contact us at all times). Other kids have computers and foosball tables in their bedroom and our kids don't have these things. Other kids will probably get BMWs on their 16th birthday and our kids will have to work to earn money for their first car. I am OK with the disparities my daughter is beginning to notice, however, because they are the same everywhere, maybe just more concentrated here. At least it's not the school drug dealer with all the money that she's envying.
I can dig it. I went to a very posh private non-sectarian school in 9th and 10th grades, and while my Dad's union job allowed my parents to afford the tuition without much concern, there were plenty of kids who were rich and even super-rich and kids got cars on their 17th birthday, etc. That stuff happens in the real world. I made a few lasting friendships despite being in the minority class-wise and it was a great experience for me.

I think you've made a good decision for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education