Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

His parents could have waited 9 more days and let him get the haircut when school was out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I find this story very disturbing. Remember the huge out-in-space afros, the mohawks and the vomit-inducing Bieber mop? Did anybody get suspended over one of those haircuts?

could an exceptionally beautiful kid be suspended for being a distraction? or an exceptionally unattractive kid? flashing shoes, short shorts, and on and on it goes. I think the haircut is beautiful and he was brave to get it. Glad he and his family were rewarded by his favorite team.
Yes, people did get suspended for hair that was too long, etc. Some schools banned Mohawks when they first came out.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
It's just hair. I can understand the distraction issue, but . . . really?

Just make him wear an ugly hat. It is an appropriate consequence for an action.

Someday he will be an adult and have to conform to the confines of the working world. Can't he have a little fun while he is still young?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,283 times
This is definitely an overreaction. Suspensions, regardless of how long, should be saved for serious offenses.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
IMO, I think the teacher could have taken 5 minutes and let everyone look and talk about it, then, be done. The teacher also could have moved him to the back of the class and let the students know that it was enough talking and time to learn. Suspension was a bit much in this case.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Has been decades since I was in school. Recalled a woman teacher telling a class that they had 5 mins at the beginning to converse with anyone they wished too and after that it was all class work and to be attentive....worked like a charm.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
"Zero tolerance" is the problem here.
I agree to an extent, but the BIGGER problem with schools today is that they are passing kids who don't deserve it, failing to actually educate, and worrying more about petty BS like a child's haircut instead of their actualy jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Someday he will be an adult and have to conform to the confines of the working world. Can't he have a little fun while he is still young?
That is also subjective.

Yeah it's not such a good idea to apply for a CEO position with a green and pink mohawk in a sleevless leather suit with full sleeve tattoos; but for a rock band or a tattoo shop it's perfectly fine.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
That is far more than just a "haircut"...it's an art picture on the back of his head and most definitely would be distracting.

It's one of those things where if the code says distracting hair styles are unacceptable, then they knew what would happen (especially since mom is a teacher!). So if they have a problem with the dress code, then they should work to change it.

Considering they got free tickets...it could very well have been a stunt pulled just to see what they could get.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:58 AM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
IMO, I think the teacher could have taken 5 minutes and let everyone look and talk about it, then, be done. The teacher also could have moved him to the back of the class and let the students know that it was enough talking and time to learn. Suspension was a bit much in this case.
If I move one student in my room, then I have to move at least one other student. There is no extra space to place a desk by itself, so at the minimum, those two students would have to swap seats. I find it interesting that his mother thinks the solution would have been moving her son to the back of the room.

In the school district this student attends, the dress code specifically references extreme hairstyles and/or coloring. Most school districts in the area have similar statements regarding extreme or unconventional hairstyles that may be distracting or disruptive to the classroom environment. They also state that parents should contact the administrator if they have any questions about what is appropriate. In my school, unconventional hairstyles are not permitted, especially shaved designs in the head, nor are lines shaved in the eyebrows allowed. In the area around my school, these are both indicators of gang affiliation. Students who come to school with shaved designs or what is deemed an unconventional hairstyle have to change the hairstyle before returning to school. If the student in the article was permitted to keep his hairstyle, then the school would have to permit other students to come with any shaved designs. The district this student attends does also have some schools that may have issues with gang affiliation in the area, so I would be hard pressed to think that having an open acceptance policy for any shaved designs would be a good idea.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
His parents could have waited 9 more days and let him get the haircut when school was out.
In nine days the Spurs can be out of the playoffs.

(Stupid to suspend him for getting into the spirit of things. Let everyone look at his hair for five minutes then get back to the books.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education