Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I find this story very disturbing. Remember the huge out-in-space afros, the mohawks and the vomit-inducing Bieber mop? Did anybody get suspended over one of those haircuts?

could an exceptionally beautiful kid be suspended for being a distraction? or an exceptionally unattractive kid? flashing shoes, short shorts, and on and on it goes. I think the haircut is beautiful and he was brave to get it. Glad he and his family were rewarded by his favorite team.

Haircut depicting NBA's Matt Bonner earns Patrick Gonzalez, 12, a suspension - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:40 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I find this story very disturbing. Remember the huge out-in-space afros, the mohawks and the vomit-inducing Bieber mop? Did anybody get suspended over one of those haircuts?

could an exceptionally beautiful kid be suspended for being a distraction? or an exceptionally unattractive kid? flashing shoes, short shorts, and on and on it goes. I think the haircut is beautiful and he was brave to get it. Glad he and his family were rewarded by his favorite team.

Haircut depicting NBA's Matt Bonner earns Patrick Gonzalez, 12, a suspension - CBS News
Boys got suspended for hair longer than their collar when I was in high school in the mid to late '80s. Not something I think was right but I think it was widespread back then.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

If several students in a class are disrupting the lesson because they want to see/touch/talk about the haircut instead of doing their schoolwork, I can see it being a problem.

Texas is well-known for its schools having very conservative dress codes. Apparently they are supported by a majority of the parents. This is when majority/minority rights come into play.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Boys got suspended for hair longer than their collar when I was in high school in the mid to late '80s. Not something I think was right but I think it was widespread back then.

That was the case at MY high school in the early 70s.

A classmate actually wore a wig to school so that he did not have to have short hair.

A one day suspension is not a huge deal....

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Length of hair is sometimes included in dress codes. I'm betting that having a particular haircut is not.

The question is begged whether or not removing a kid from a learning environment was necessary...dangerous or aberrant behavior is a justifiable reason for suspension of services. So is not adhering to the dress code (again, I'm pretty skeptical that any school dress code specifies anything about what one may or may not shave into one's head, although there are probably loopholes that would exclude profanity on one's person...but I could be wrong). You start to get into slippery territory when you remove a kid from class because something about their physical appearance (not clothing, which can be easily removed and swapped out) might distract other kids. The administration probably only served to cause this to be MORE of a distraction by their reaction. Something like this is an abuse of a disciplinary policy...suspending kids when they have not broken rules (and I'm betting this is true, but don't know 100%) is improper. Suspensions should only be enacted when a student's actions cause a real is a serious threat to school safety. Kids being distracted by an unusual haircut momentarily doesn't really constitute a serious threat to school safety, IMO.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Length of hair is sometimes included in dress codes. I'm betting that having a particular haircut is not.

The question is begged whether or not removing a kid from a learning environment was necessary...dangerous or aberrant behavior is a justifiable reason for suspension of services. So is not adhering to the dress code (again, I'm pretty skeptical that any school dress code specifies anything about what one may or may not shave into one's head, although there are probably loopholes that would exclude profanity on one's person...but I could be wrong). You start to get into slippery territory when you remove a kid from class because something about their physical appearance (not clothing, which can be easily removed and swapped out) might distract other kids. The administration probably only served to cause this to be MORE of a distraction by their reaction. Something like this is an abuse of a disciplinary policy...suspending kids when they have not broken rules (and I'm betting this is true, but don't know 100%) is improper. Suspensions should only be enacted when a student's actions cause a real is a serious threat to school safety. Kids being distracted by an unusual haircut momentarily doesn't really constitute a serious threat to school safety, IMO.
I agree. save the suspension for serious problem.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Suspension over HAIR.

What if he shaved all his hair to have the BALD look.

Would that require a suspension also?

My dad was Bald...as am I along with two of my sons today.

Are we part of a group that would require a suspension of sorts.

Seems to me there are too many little gods running the school system nowdays.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Texas is well-known for its schools having very conservative dress codes. Apparently they are supported by a majority of the parents. This is when majority/minority rights come into play.
I think you are perpetuating a VERY dated stereotype and really don't know what you are talking about.

I attended a public high school in San Antonio in in the 1970s. The school was not an inner city school but our dress code was mainstream. In those days if you went to inner city Houston or Dallas you would see most of the same stuff you saw anywhere else.

Today the schools are typically concerned with distractions. And it is a bigger issue with girls than boys. Some girls clearly have a need to display body parts and that is what usually gets them in trouble. Some schools are concerned with gang symbols. But other than that, the dress code is a non issue in most parts of Texas.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That was the case at MY high school in the early 70s.

A classmate actually wore a wig to school so that he did not have to have short hair.

A one day suspension is not a huge deal....

Did you live in San Antonio? In the early 70s all the gorgeous long hair guys used to do the wig thing and take they wigs off when they were leaving school with the wig in their back pocket and their hair flowing in the breeze.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
"Zero tolerance" is the problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education