Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,327 times

Advertisements

My 11 year old granddaughter was suspended from school because her mother gave her a few cough drops to take for her cold. My granddaughter gave one to a friend and now she is being suspended. Cough drops are not illegal to buy in the store by an 11 year so why should she be suspended. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Our school has rules about that. Many OTC things can be dangerous, so no student is allowed to give anything to another student.

Here, if she broke the rules, she suffers the consequences.
That simple....

Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,327 times
I totaly disagree with you, its not that simple. I feel that they should have talked with her about it first and if it happens again then she would suffer the consequences as you stated. She didn't know that she was doing anything wrong and if anyone should be in trouble it should be her mother for giving it to her in the first place.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times
What if the friend had choked on the cough drop? Then what?

That's why they have rules.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,417 times
Did she get an inhouse suspension? Personally, I think they went a little over board. If you gave someone an eraser and they choked on it should they get suspended as well?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,875 times
Get your kid out of public school. It is a place of fear.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
What if the friend had choked on the cough drop? Then what?

That's why they have rules.

What if she choked on a piece of gum, or a chip or an apple slice or a raisin, or a .... ?

Your granddaughter was suspended because some school administrators and school boards are incapable of objectively looking at facts and making common sense decisions based on the totality of the circumstances.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
Well, to be fair, we're only hearing one side of the story. Was she warned before? Etc. Sounds like there's more to the story here than meets the eye.

If there's not and all she did was give a friend a cough drop, then yeah, that was overkill for punishment. But usually (at least around my neck of the woods) school administrators don't dole out suspensions for relatively petty offenses.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What if she choked on a piece of gum, or a chip or an apple slice or a raisin, or a .... ?

Your granddaughter was suspended because some school administrators and school boards are incapable of objectively looking at facts and making common sense decisions based on the totality of the circumstances.
I respect how hard it is both from the parent and administrator perspective. The problem is not so much that the administrator is incapable of objectively looking at facts (most are), but that the law requires consistent enforcement of school rules. Often, these "silly" (at least I think they seem silly) restrictions have come into place after another parent sued the school district. In order to protect itself from lawsuits, which ultimately cost the taxpayer, the school puts zero-tolerance policies into place in order to cover themselves. That's why the nurse can no longer give out Aspirin without a prescription from a doctor, why students can no longer bring certain things to school. The lawyers determine what presents the biggest liability.

Otherwise here's what could happen: The student who got the cough drop/Advil/whatever from your granddaughter was allergic (unknown to her) and dies or requires medical treatment after ingesting it. Parents sue the school for failing to provide a safe environment. The parents aren't going to say, "Well, it's our daughter's fault for accepting it." Nor will they likely go after the other family. They'll go after the school district because that's where the money is. This is how these policies come to be.

Personally, I think a suspension is a bit much, but on the other hand, I could see how the school might be eager to prove (if sued) that they had worked hard to keep those things off campus. This is one of the results of the society we live in, where someone must always be at fault and no tragedy can be deemed a simple accident.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
I totaly disagree with you, its not that simple. I feel that they should have talked with her about it first and if it happens again then she would suffer the consequences as you stated. She didn't know that she was doing anything wrong and if anyone should be in trouble it should be her mother for giving it to her in the first place.
Agree with you here. My guess is that this policy was likely included in the school rules and procedures (usually sent home to parents on the first day.) It's entirely possible that her parents didn't read or recall the policy, but my guess is that it's in there. I agree a suspension seems a bit much. As for the bolded statement, I agree as well, but the school doesn't have the authority to do anything to the mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education