Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times

Advertisements

I think that the punishment should be whatever the written policy says it is. In our school district, I think it's a suspension. I agree with the poster that said that it's pretty standard policy to not allow students to have ANY drugs OTC or prescription in their possession and it's kind of a "duh" moment for a parent not to know that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
You're missing my point. These overly zealous precautions have been put in place after ridiculous lawsuits against school districts. A child brings Tylenol to school with their parents' permission. They either give some to a friend or someone takes it from their backpack when they aren't looking. Maybe the kid has a bad reaction to Tylenol. Maybe they purposefully overdose. The second kid dies and their parents are heartbroken. They sue the school for failing to provide a safe environment and win. Who pays up? The taxpayers. The settlement money ultimately comes out of the same pot the district would have used on our kids.

What we need to be tired of is people thinking every one of life's misfortunes is an opportunity to cash in. Nowadays you can't have accidents. You can't have rotten luck. You can't have a kid coming across something they shouldn't or making a tragic mistake. It's all about finding someone to blame and suing their butt off. Until we as a society get past that and learn to recognize the difference between actually being harmed by someone else's extreme negligence and the tragedy of a terrible accident, we will continue to see public entities going to extremes to lessen risk. If we don't like that as a society, we need to work to change the laws.
I understood you and I agree 100%. My comment was meant more as a commentary that litigiousness can cut both ways and perhaps it will.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think that the punishment should be whatever the written policy says it is. In our school district, I think it's a suspension. I agree with the poster that said that it's pretty standard policy to not allow students to have ANY drugs OTC or prescription in their possession and it's kind of a "duh" moment for a parent not to know that.
Cough drops are not really drugs are they?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Agreed!
especially the bold part....

Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 AM

45 posts, read 104,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It is possible. While some contain only menthol or Vitamin C, others do and can contain medications, common example are the ones that numb your throat. There are other lozenges that actually have cough suppressant medication in them; taking a cough drop of this sort would be equivalent to taking a dose of Robitussin DM.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
Forget knowing what's in the student handbook - there are people who most likely don't know that their student handbook exists. I'm constantly amazed when there is an event listed on the school calendar and we are sent multiple reminders via memo and e-mail and parents still say "what event?" Seriously?

Even without consulting the handbook this 11 year old should know better. What were they thinking? You can't share OTC medication in school? Hmm let's see, we can't share our snack or any kind of food for that matter and we can't share chapstick or hair brushes but I guess cough drops aren't food or chapstick or hairbrushes so they are ok.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Sure, they are over the counter drugs. They're not sold in the candy aisle.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
I think this is once again the public schools taken things to an extreme. Homeschooling is getting to be a better option anymore.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
I don`t think that an 11 year old would know better. They are still kids and kids do stupid things. They don`t have the reasoning like an adult does.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
While i amy thinkt eh degree is not right. if that is the rules and consequenheces then it should be apllied. They can be chanegd if others agree enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education