Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
"She was held at the principals office most of the day" O my gosh, this is so rediculous...They acted like she had commited a crime. This is so over the top....
And to think it all could have been avoided if she abided by the rules.....

Oh, well... do the crime, do the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times
Pitt, She is eleven years old, not twenty!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
My 11 year old granddaughter was suspended from school because her mother gave her a few cough drops to take for her cold. My granddaughter gave one to a friend and now she is being suspended. Cough drops are not illegal to buy in the store by an 11 year so why should she be suspended. What are your thoughts?
In another era, an 11 year old giving cough drops to another 11 year old would have been an act of FRIENDSHIP. It's called adolescence. That's not in the student manual, isn't it.

I think these draconian laws and rules ruin, and stifle real childhood. They turn "kids", who make mistakes, get scrapes on their knee.....god forbid, pass a cough drop (or it could have been gum) to another student. These "rules" stifle kid action, and turn them into little robots....who have to "follow the rules".

If a kid pulls a gun or something, obviously you can't have that. These schools (prisons?) interfere with the kind of childhood huckleberry finn would have had. I think schools find that kind of freedom dangerous and threatning. Thus, these draconian zero tolerance laws. Little Johnny can't give little Suzy a hug anymore. Or they can't play marbles. The marble could hurt little Suzy's knee! This is madness.

Politically correct state madness aimed to control.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
It has nothing to do with the schools themselves or what they would prefer. It has to do with our sue-happy society and its inability to take any unfortunate circumstances as simple bad luck, or a childhood mistake. It's all about finding someone at fault for something and suing them. If that kid who received the cough drop had died of an allergic reaction, the parents would sue the school district. Taxpayer money would be wasted to defend the lawsuit and perhaps pay the settlement instead of being put into the classroom. Therefore lawyers have determined to reduce risk they must ban cough drops.

If we as a society find this level of hyper-paranoid behavior unacceptable, then we must work to change the laws allowing people to sue over every little inane thing. There is a difference between someone actually wronging you through gross misconduct and a simple accident. Until we change the thinking of our society, we can expect more measures such as this to reduce risk.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
My 11 year old granddaughter was suspended from school because her mother gave her a few cough drops to take for her cold. My granddaughter gave one to a friend and now she is being suspended. Cough drops are not illegal to buy in the store by an 11 year so why should she be suspended. What are your thoughts?

Yes.

Does the school policy state this?

Does your child know if the other child has any allergies?

I say if rules were broken...

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Well, to be fair, we're only hearing one side of the story. Was she warned before? Etc. Sounds like there's more to the story here than meets the eye.

If there's not and all she did was give a friend a cough drop, then yeah, that was overkill for punishment. But usually (at least around my neck of the woods) school administrators don't dole out suspensions for relatively petty offenses.

My guess is it is in the school handbook.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
These schools (prisons?) interfere with the kind of childhood huckleberry finn would have had.
You do know that Huckleberry Finn hated school even back in that time, don't you? And that he was a fictional character?

Huck, in the book, goes to school, but mostly to spite his abusive pap.

Mark Twain said the typical school of the day was "a place where tender young humanity devoted itself for eight to ten hours a day to learning incomprehensible rubbish by heart out of books and reciting it by rote, like parrots; so that a finished education consisted simply of a permanent headache and the ability to read without stopping to spell the words or take a breath." It seems to me that the schools back in those days were more prisonlike than the ones today are though certainly they have something in common.

In point of fact Samuel Clemens never went to school much as a boy himself. He knew how to entertain himself and played hookey all the time.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
In another era, an 11 year old giving cough drops to another 11 year old would have been an act of FRIENDSHIP. It's called adolescence. That's not in the student manual, isn't it.

I think these draconian laws and rules ruin, and stifle real childhood. They turn "kids", who make mistakes, get scrapes on their knee.....god forbid, pass a cough drop (or it could have been gum) to another student. These "rules" stifle kid action, and turn them into little robots....who have to "follow the rules".

If a kid pulls a gun or something, obviously you can't have that. These schools (prisons?) interfere with the kind of childhood huckleberry finn would have had. I think schools find that kind of freedom dangerous and threatning. Thus, these draconian zero tolerance laws. Little Johnny can't give little Suzy a hug anymore. Or they can't play marbles. The marble could hurt little Suzy's knee! This is madness.

Politically correct state madness aimed to control.
Sigh.

As oft-mentioned on this thread, it's not political correctness, it's a pre-emptive strike against lawsuit-happy deadbeat parents who figure they can squeeze some money out of the system if little Suzy's glands swell from an allergic reaction to little Johnny's Hall's MenthoLyptus.

Blame the parents trying to make an easy buck for the draconian zero tolerance laws. Public schools can't afford having to devote time, energy, and resources to fend of frivolous lawsuits left and right because some kid's scumbag parent thinks that they see a chance to make a buck at taxpayer expense.

Also, neither here nor there, but if you could find even a couple of grade school-aged kids who actually knows how to play marbles, I wish you'd send them my way, so that we could mount a production of "Newsies," complete with knickers, wool caps, and leather straps for carrying their reading primers home.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times
In this day in age, kids are not allowed to make mistakes anymore because if they do, they get severly, over the top punished for it. Kids are not allowed to be kids anymore. Society wants them to be mini adults, which they are not and never will be.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 AM

35 posts, read 46,951 times
Your daughter did nothing wrong in wanting to help a friend. It's unfortunate you did not know the rules so that you both could be properly informed. Take time to explain why schools have rules such as this.

Did you know kids were bringing lollips to school laced with drugs? Meth can be manufactured from OTC drugs. It's become such a problem in TN, we can't even buy some OTC medicines in TN without a driver's license. Sure this wasn't the case with your daughter but what about someone else? What about allergies? What would you say the friend's parents if the kid had serious adverse reaction?

When viewed as a SAFETY issue, how could anyone not agree? Every single rule is intended to PROTECT the students, OUR KIDS, that are in their care. As someone mentioned earlier, the rules are probably the result of a previous lawsuit.

It's an overreaction to think that rules like these are somehow a hindrance to kids education and development. They can still learn and play an make friends even though they can't pass around gum, candy, cough drops, etc. Better pay more attention to the restrictive curriculum than school's safety policies.

PS cough drops barely work. Gargle (don't swallow) APPLE CIDER VINEGAR & HONEY. It tastes horrible; works wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education