Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:18 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
My 11 year old granddaughter was suspended from school because her mother gave her a few cough drops to take for her cold. My granddaughter gave one to a friend and now she is being suspended. Cough drops are not illegal to buy in the store by an 11 year so why should she be suspended. What are your thoughts?
It's getting really ridiculous out there. It's a shame that some school administrators lack basic common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
My 11 year old granddaughter was suspended from school because her mother gave her a few cough drops to take for her cold. My granddaughter gave one to a friend and now she is being suspended. Cough drops are not illegal to buy in the store by an 11 year so why should she be suspended. What are your thoughts?
Yes. I live in a school district with a high number of drug users. You don't want take anything these kids may arrive at school with.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,760 times
Possible reasons for cough drops not being allowed at school:

Side Effects of Cough Drops - OrganizedWisdom Health

Research Note on Side Effects of Cough Drops WisdomCard™

A brief digest about this topic

Cough drops come in a variety of flavors and are commonly used for the relief of a sore throat or cough. Cough drops are generally safe, however if you have allergies, you will want to read the ingredients prior to use. There are also many herbal cough drops available today, which may also contain allergens for some individuals.

Fast Facts:
  • You should avoid menthol cough drops if you have ever had an allergic reaction to menthol.
  • There are two types of active ingredients in a non-prescrption cough drop, which are expectorants and a cough suppressant.
  • Cough drops are made up of mostly sugar and corn syrup, diabetics should seek sugar free cough drops.
Sometimes a "harmless" cough drop is not so innocent. Like I've said before, the rule is there for a reason and was probably put there by someone who knows WAY more than you do. IJS.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM

262 posts, read 650,199 times
There's probably a rule against it in the handbook. OTC drugs can be dangerous. While I'm sure she was just trying to help the other girl, the other girl could have had an allergic reaction to the medicine - or what if she had choked on it? Anything stronger than caffeine is disallowed. Her mom should have read the handbook she signed.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

262 posts, read 650,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I respect how hard it is both from the parent and administrator perspective. The problem is not so much that the administrator is incapable of objectively looking at facts (most are), but that the law requires consistent enforcement of school rules. Often, these "silly" (at least I think they seem silly) restrictions have come into place after another parent sued the school district. In order to protect itself from lawsuits, which ultimately cost the taxpayer, the school puts zero-tolerance policies into place in order to cover themselves. That's why the nurse can no longer give out Aspirin without a prescription from a doctor, why students can no longer bring certain things to school. The lawyers determine what presents the biggest liability.
Absolutely. Zero tolerance means zero tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education