Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,124 times

Advertisements

Fourth grade---straight A student----had a teacher I adored. I had, on my 2 bottom front teeth, one tiny white spot, and one tiny brown spot, caused by high fevers. Dentist wouldn't fill it, because that would mean broaching healthy enamel.
At lunch, sitting at the head of the table (whole class at table), she says, so everyone can hear, "Did you know you have a cavity in your tooth?" I was humiliated. 53 years later still remember, still hate her.
My mother had the dentist fill the spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM

271 posts, read 600,531 times
When I was in third grade in a catholic school I was having a hard time memorizing a prayer. My teacher who was a nun kept screaming at me, which of course made me mess it up even worse. I was a really shy, quiet kid so the screaming alone was totally humiliating.

I guess she finally got fed up with me, and smacked me hard across my face, I mean hard. I started crying and she made me go back to my seat.

At lunchtime I went home, I only lived a couple blocks from the school and at that time, a lot of the kids went home for lunch. I told my mother what happened and she was sympathetic at least. I refused to go back to school that afternoon. When my father came home, my mom told him what happened. He brought me back to school the next morning and told them they had better not ever hit me again.

I was a good kid, and I wasn't doing anything wrong, just having a problem memorizing something. To this day I remember this so vividly. That nun was just being sadistic.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
I developed a resentment for teachers early in school, between stealing my things and putting iching powder down my back ,among a list of other offences, it was a mind set that made learning any thing in school a big waste of time.
They graduated me to be rid of me ,not because I was a succesful student.
I get more educaton on my own than school had to offer.
I wasn't a trouble maker, but was picked on frequently enough to know the principal by his first name.
Supprizingly, though my wife did well in school ,she insisted on home schooling a much as possable ,both our children have their GED and deplomas .
Public schools are only getting worse, and I feel sorry for those being forced into that kind of life.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 PM

427 posts, read 947,512 times
My personal bad school memories are far in the past. Unfortunately, the way my kids were treated at their school was horrific at times, such the final graduation from high school was an occasion of good riddance. Simply a case the administration being unwilling to discipline teachers, and defend them at every turn.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
Wow this thread is exhilarating to read; I now know I'm not the only one who was targeted & harrassed by miserable, pathetic, abusive teachers.

I'll add a few examples to the thread:

3rd grade teacher dragging me by the hair in front of the entire class up to the front of the room, cause I didn't have my homework.
She was in my face, screaming, & made me sit on the ground while I did the work.
Same teacher, I overheard in the hallway mocking me to the other teachers. (That bit*h needed medication.)

8th grade principal (who was abusive to me since 1st grade) was insane one day, & trying to provoke me in the hall.
I didn't fall for it, instead just smiled at her while she let loose on me. Once I smiled, she hit me. Wrong move.
I hit her back & the rest is history.

I sometimes wish to this day I'd run into just a few of the sadistic hags- I'm not a helpless kid anymore.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
When I taught school, I knew there were teachers who disliked some students, I will admit I had students that were not my favorite students to work with, but I never intentionally caused any emotional scars.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When I taught school, I knew there were teachers who disliked some students, I will admit I had students that were not my favorite students to work with, but I never intentionally caused any emotional scars.
Me neither, Jasper, but I don't doubt that I unintentionally did it. By and large, I literally loved most of my students, but sometimes you have to practice tough love for their own good. I'm not sure all kids understood that.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
I grew up in a small northwest Washington town, the teachers I had, for the most part, were borderline mental cases. Some were kind and caring but they were definitely in the minority. P.E. jock type teachers were especially vicious, looking back I wonder where my parents were with regard to what they knew about these thugs and social misfits posing as educators. My experiences are still painful when remembered, the damage these creeps heaped on children should have resulted in their incarceration. This was in the fifties and teachers weren't challenged by parents as they are today. Bullying is a natural outcome of the teachers tolerance of it, and participating in it themselves. Oh I know most teachers will deny this, but I've also wondered how many of the good ones know about the bad ones. I am heartened to know that things may be changing, at least I hope they are. I'll be watching this thread to see if people have had these types of experiences in the last few years.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
I agree! There are teachers who should NOT be teachers, same as bosses who should not be bosses because they have their own emotional hang-ups and take them out on students and/or employees.

My experience with a rude teacher was in the 5th grade. The class read a book and the teacher would call on various students to give their thoughts about the story line. When I was called on, I related a part of the story wherein the child got up and went to the kitchen to get his own breakfast. The teacher stopped me and said that the child 'got dressed first' and then went into the kitchen. Then he said, "I guess your family is weird and doesn't believe in getting dressed before eating?" WTH? Yes, it hurt my feelings and what an inappropriate and unnecessary comment for him to make.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree! There are teachers who should NOT be teachers, same as bosses who should not be bosses because they have their own emotional hang-ups and take them out on students and/or employees.

My experience with a rude teacher was in the 5th grade. The class read a book and the teacher would call on various students to give their thoughts about the story line. When I was called on, I related a part of the story wherein the child got up and went to the kitchen to get his own breakfast. The teacher stopped me and said that the child 'got dressed first' and then went into the kitchen. Then he said, "I guess your family is weird and doesn't believe in getting dressed before eating?" WTH? Yes, it hurt my feelings and what an inappropriate and unnecessary comment for him to make.
This teacher didn't know people often eat breakfast in their pajamas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education