Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What are you talking about? Vouchers are government funding a school. You do realize that right?

If you are against government funding schools how can you be for vouchers?
Vouchers represent a taxpayer using their taxes, money they've paid into the education system, and using them not necessarily for their public school, but for a school of their choice. While I prefer no taxes being used to fund public schools, at least vouchers allow taxpayers to use their taxes (or part of them) to send their kids to a school of their choosing.

My ultimate preference is for parents to contract with a school directly and to leave the government completely out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Vouchers represent a taxpayer using their taxes, money they've paid into the education system, and using them not necessarily for their public school, but for a school of their choice. While I prefer no taxes being used to fund public schools, at least vouchers allow taxpayers to use their taxes (or part of them) to send their kids to a school of their choosing.

My ultimate preference is for parents to contract with a school directly and to leave the government completely out of it.
Apparently you do not realize the average voucher is FAR beyond the recipients tax contribution to the schools.

The MAJORITY of the voucher is paid for by OTHER PEOPLE.

The average property tax in this country is $1180 and that includes police, fire, and all other municipal costs. So since the national average is 53% of property taxes going to schools that means $625 dollar is what the average person is paying towards schools. The average voucher is well over $4k.

That means the GOVERNMENT is paying 85% of the tuition and the parents are only "paying" 15%.

Nice try, though.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Apparently you do not realize the average voucher is FAR beyond the recipients tax contribution to the schools.

The MAJORITY of the voucher is paid for by OTHER PEOPLE.

The average property tax in this country is $1180 and that includes police, fire, and all other municipal costs. So since the national average is 53% of property taxes going to schools that means $625 dollar is what the average person is paying towards schools. The average voucher is well over $4k.

That means the GOVERNMENT is paying 85% of the tuition and the parents are only "paying" 15%.

Nice try, though.
Anything that has to do with the government is incredibly inefficient. Allow the free market to work and the price comes way down.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Quote:

I think you have vouchers (especially this specific case) confused with tax credits. Not the same thing.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Quote:
Anything that has to do with the government is incredibly inefficient. Allow the free market to work and the price comes way down.
Taking the government out of education and allowing the free market to work would simply insure that a huge swath of the public would be unschooled.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Good job, completely ignore facts in favor of spouting some nonsense irrelevant to the conversation.

And yes, a school that teaches students that the lochness monster is both real and "disproves" the single most supported theory in all of biology as part of science class for the rock bottom price of $8k is a testament to the beauty of the free market.

So really you are just going to ignore the FACT that vouchers are government funding?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Taking the government out of education and allowing the free market to work would simply insure that a huge swath of the public would be unschooled.
If we take away the "safety net" it will become obvious that education is necessary for survival. At the present time, we have a situation where there are no consequences for irresponsibility. We aren't doing anyone any favors, simply keeping them in a cycle of poverty and despair. I want something better.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Good job, completely ignore facts in favor of spouting some nonsense irrelevant to the conversation.

And yes, a school that teaches students that the lochness monster is both real and "disproves" the single most supported theory in all of biology as part of science class for the rock bottom price of $8k is a testament to the beauty of the free market.

So really you are just going to ignore the FACT that vouchers are government funding?
I am simply saying that if the government is taken out of the equation, we will see the true cost of education, minus the bloated bureaucracy that presently exists. If parents want to send their kids to a school that teaches their kids that the lochness monster is real, that's their business. *I* wouldn't send my kids there, but that's their choice.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I am simply saying that if the government is taken out of the equation, we will see the true cost of education, minus the bloated bureaucracy that presently exists. If parents want to send their kids to a school that teaches their kids that the lochness monster is real, that's their business. *I* wouldn't send my kids there, but that's their choice.
Which part of the government is paying that tuition do you not understand??

That school was 8k. OK that means the GOVERNMENT paid $7400 for that parents choice.

And you think that is fine? That this person take $7400 in entitlements from the government to pay to send their child to a religious school?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Which part of the government is paying that tuition do you not understand??

That school was 8k. OK that means the GOVERNMENT paid $7400 for that parents choice.

And you think that is fine? That this person take $7400 in entitlements from the government to pay to send their child to a religious school?
Read carefully. I think that parents should pay 100% of the cost of educating their child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education