Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
THAT would not work. Grades are the only power the teacher holds. If there are no grades, there will be no incentive for 90% of our students to do anything. I think the top 10% who value education will stilll want to learn but I think you'll see dismal results on state tests if you tried this. The threat of failure does work on some kids. Good grades entice others. What motivation do you think kids will have if they aren't graded?

I do agree, to a large extent, that grades are meaningless but they are a carrot or whip for some kids. Most kids, at least, don't want to fail. Take the threat of failure away and you'd demotivate many of them.

I would have no issue with no grades IF we went to exit exams that students had to pass to pass the class.
If the school loses the lawsuit, it opens the door to more lawsuits over contested grades. Should that happen, why wouldn't a school district protect itself by simply not issuing grades? I don't agree with that course of action, but I can see where it could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,985,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
If the school loses the lawsuit, it opens the door to more lawsuits over contested grades. Should that happen, why wouldn't a school district protect itself by simply not issuing grades? I don't agree with that course of action, but I can see where it could happen.
The school will lose the lawsuit (if the facts in the article are accurate) because they didn't follow the district policy regarding makeup work for excused absences. If they had, and the student didn't earn an A at that point, they would have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Aside from that this young man was in court for his sister's adoption according to the article. That would certainly be an excused absence.
So we have a student who is involved in something very important to his family. His court appearance is within the boundaries of an excused absence. He's there for his sibling on his/her special day. He's involved with his family. He's in on the official welcome of his sibling into his family.

Gee. Anyone else think the student did a GOOD thing? Yet he's punished by his teacher and his school.

What's wrong with this picture?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So we have a student who is involved in something very important to his family. His court appearance is within the boundaries of an excused absence. He's there for his sibling on his/her special day. He's involved with his family. He's in on the official welcome of his sibling into his family.

Gee. Anyone else think the student did a GOOD thing? Yet he's punished by his teacher and his school.

What's wrong with this picture?
Like I said, we don't know the school's perspective. We need to know what the school did/didn't do. I don't disagree that it was a nice event for the young man to attend- but the school has rules, and he needs to follow them.

Interesting article here, including the comments section from the teacher's former students: http://albany.patch.com/articles/c-i...chool-district

Last edited by mimimomx3; 07-28-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,574,981 times
Quote:
Because if you don't grade students, you don't know if they are learning what they should. As a teacher, what do I do about students who don't do their labs or don't do the work if I'm not giving grades? Just pass them on good looks?

Without grades, what will be the pass/fail criteria?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Like I said, we don't know the school's perspective. We need to know what the school did/didn't do. I don't disagree that it was a nice event for the young man to attend- but the school has rules, and he needs to follow them.

Interesting article here, including the comments section from the teacher's former students: 'C+' in Chemistry Leads To Lawsuit Against School District - Albany, CA Patch
"and that he had failed his final"....Um, if you failed my final, you'd be lucky to get a C+ in my class.

My guess is the school increasted the grade to an A because of the lab but the failing grade on the final killed any chance of an A in the class. I find that students often perform worse on the final than they did in the class.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:18 PM

57,394 posts, read 26,310,785 times
The article is pretty much from the parents point of view. The fact that the administrator threatened to have the parent removed from the premises and claimed the teacher harassed her son during the final exam gives you a good perspective, but still waiting to hear from the school district on the accusations.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because if you don't grade students, you don't know if they are learning what they should. As a teacher, what do I do about students who don't do their labs or don't do the work if I'm not giving grades? Just pass them on good looks?

Without grades, what will be the pass/fail criteria?
I agree with you- grades are important. But if grades are going to suddenly be subject to lawsuits, school districts won't be able to afford giving them.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,850,635 times
There will not be lawsuits if they just follow their own policies. I do not understand why people think schools should not be subjected to lawsuits over grades, as if they walk on water or something.

There are psychotic teachers out there, to state teachers are all angels is ridiculous.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I agree with you- grades are important. But if grades are going to suddenly be subject to lawsuits, school districts won't be able to afford giving them.
They'll give them, they'll just have to be very objective....like end of year exams (which this student, apparently, failed) that are 80% of the grade. Subjective grades like lab reports could be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education