Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times

Advertisements

Interesting twist on the special ed debate.

School District Sues 'Vexatious' Mother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,767 times
Oh I have all my fingers crossed that the school district wins... Please Please Please some real justice.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Good for them. There is a district in MN that is forking out over $80,000/year for one student to attend a neighboring school in a different district for similar reasons. The child has some kind of a handicap-not gifted-but same thing. The worst part is that MN has statewide open enrollment so the family could have enrolled in the school anyway. I don't remember all the details as it was a few years ago but it was totally frivolous, something like the bathroom was outside of the special ed room instead of inside or something really important like that.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM

223 posts, read 531,953 times
I attended school in this district, and it was a quality education. I hope that the district wins!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:31 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
I attended school in this district, and it was a quality education. I hope that the district wins!
It will be an interesting precident if they do. I wonder if it will open the door for suing parents of special ed kids when they make demands that infringe on the right of other students to get an education.

I look around and think someone needs to stand up for the average student. Everyone seems to have rights but them.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I look around and think someone needs to stand up for the average student. Everyone seems to have rights but them.
Totally right, I was a one-on-one aide at a middle school for awhile following around a kid who had anger issues just to keep him from getting into fights, I made over a $1000 a month after taxes so that’s about $10,000 a year roughly, going towards one kid. There were plenty of other kids in the district who could benefit from having an aide or help with homework but this one kid got all the attention because of his bad temper just because he was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. I think he should have had to have gone to school for violent students instead of making the state pay for his own personal assistant when it wasn't even necessary.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
Totally right, I was a one-on-one aide at a middle school for awhile following around a kid who had anger issues just to keep him from getting into fights, I made over a $1000 a month after taxes so that’s about $10,000 a year roughly, going towards one kid. There were plenty of other kids in the district who could benefit from having an aide or help with homework but this one kid got all the attention because of his bad temper just because he was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. I think he should have had to have gone to school for violent students instead of making the state pay for his own personal assistant when it wasn't even necessary.
Been there, done that (didn't make quite as much ).

Nevertheless, I continue to be amazed at how what used to be considered a therapeutic way of dealing with children and/or adults who had certain issues by trying to incent good behavior, seems to be lacking now. My brother has come across this very issue in a group home where he works with all types of clients with mental issues such as Asperger Syndrome, MR, Downs, etc. When he worked at the same agency a few years before, the residents were expected to keep their rooms and persons clean in exchange for trips, movies, etc...it wasn't much, but they were at least expected to take a shower, brush their teeth, and make their bed. One of the biggest changes he's encountered since he's gone back is those small chores aren't required, and he's practically got to wear a mask to be in the same room with a couple of the residents.

I think sometimes things like this can go overboard. I agree that we should help kids by all means, but at least be realistic about the abilities and/or liabilities of each child and plan accordingly (IMO).

Last edited by cebdark; 08-06-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Been there, done that (didn't make quite as much ).

Nevertheless, I continue to be amazed at how what used to be considered a therapeutic way of dealing with children and/or adults who had certain issues by trying to incent good behavior, seems to be lacking now. My brother has come across this very issue in a group home where he works with all types of clients with mental issues such as Asperger Syndrome, MR, Downs, etc. When he worked at the same agency a few years before, the residents were expected to keep their rooms and persons clean in exchange for trips, movies, etc...it wasn't much, but they were at least expected to take a shower, brush their teeth, and make their bed. One of the biggest changes he's encountered since he's gone back is those small chores aren't required, and he's practically got to wear a mask to be in the same room with a couple of the residents.

I think sometimes things like this can go overboard. I agree that we should help kids by all means, but at least be realistic about the abilities and/or liabilities of each child and plan accordingly (IMO).
ITA. You have to be realistic. Unfortunately, in education, the pendulum tends to swing to extremes. With all the budget cuts to regular ed while special ed is protected, I anticipate a backlash against special ed. Of course it's not PC so it will take a while but I hear more and more grumbling about how much money is spent on a few kids while the majority make do with less and less.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:52 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ITA. You have to be realistic. Unfortunately, in education, the pendulum tends to swing to extremes. With all the budget cuts to regular ed while special ed is protected, I anticipate a backlash against special ed. Of course it's not PC so it will take a while but I hear more and more grumbling about how much money is spent on a few kids while the majority make do with less and less.

Yes, I agree. I hear grumblings about it here too. "Faddish" seems to be the rage throughout pedagogical planning. Learning is such an individual endeavor. No two people will ever learn alike. It has got to be incredibly frustrating to try to find a common ground. That's why I like to try and be reasonable and realistic when I work with the teachers that my children have.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Good for them. There is a district in MN that is forking out over $80,000/year for one student to attend a neighboring school in a different district for similar reasons. The child has some kind of a handicap-not gifted-but same thing. The worst part is that MN has statewide open enrollment so the family could have enrolled in the school anyway. I don't remember all the details as it was a few years ago but it was totally frivolous, something like the bathroom was outside of the special ed room instead of inside or something really important like that.

As a special education teacher I can tell you the bathroom can be a HUGE DEAL. Especially if the child can not be safe around other students. I've had students that were unable to safely transition to the restroom in the hall. Also if the student is not potty trained it's an even bigger issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education