Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:33 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Some are. You should come to my class on the Friday before a big game and see how many students are trying to get the E to a D so they can play. Also, some parents will ground their kids if their grades are low enough. The ones who aren't in sports and have parents who just don't care often don't care about grades either but we can catch some of them with grades. I have no idea what to do with the rest of them. I WISH my school had detention for missing assignments.
Ivory, my school doesn't have that as a policy, but I do have it as a class consequence. Here's how I pitched it:

"I want to help students make successful choices for themselves, but when they don't do work, they don't pass. Now, obviously there are some students who don't do work because they make irresponsible choices, but some students don't because they might need that extra five minutes' worth of explanation. I'd like to give them that explanation and help them be successful. Can I count on your support if I start assigning detentions after school from X:00 to X:00? Of course, I'll call or make an attempt to contact parents to give them 24 hours' notice, but I need your support for further consequences if any students skip out on detention or don't take it seriously - maybe a required parent conference so we can all get together and help that student make wiser decisions?"

Worked for me. Is it extra time for me? Yup. Does my failure rate look pretty good this quarter? Yup. Did I have to inflate grades? Nope.

Are students learning that if they do a crummy piece of work in my class, it will result in at least a half-hour of extra school time for them in which they redo the crummy work they did poorly in the first place? Yep.

Do some of them get the extra instruction they need? Yep.

For the students who are failing, do the assigned and skipped detentions mount up paperwork that says, "Look, I took steps to intervene between this student and his repeated attempts to fail"? Yes. (I made special NCS forms for detention students that I have kept throughout the year as documentation.)

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Ivory, my school doesn't have that as a policy, but I do have it as a class consequence. Here's how I pitched it:
Sounds similar to my policy. If I assign kiddos to Friday detention, I'm responsible for manning it. That means I don't get to leave until 6 pm on Friday, but it's SO WORTH IT. I actually get paid $20/hour to staff it, but better then that is that kids get work turned into me, either to avoid detention or, once in detention, because I'm sitting there babysitting them and helping them to understand the concepts. If they finish all their math work in the 3 hours, then they are welcome to do work for another class (because usually these are chronic offenders who are behind in multiple classes).

All "Friday" kids have to have had discussions with administration beforehand (to determine why they aren't doing work, and to attempt to scare them into doing it), have to have had parents contacted several times before (letting them know their student is falling behind so the Friday threat isn't a surprise), and finally have to have parental sign off and a parent pick them up at 6 pm, but it's been incredibly helpful in getting kids to get their work done.

I cap it at no more than 6 kids per week so that I can actually get around to help them. If there are only a couple kids, I can often get some work done myself once I get them started. The best part is, all kids in Friday are not allowed to talk to each other, at all...so it's quiet (and not a social outlet!)

Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Sounds similar to my policy. If I assign kiddos to Friday detention, I'm responsible for manning it. That means I don't get to leave until 6 pm on Friday, but it's SO WORTH IT. I actually get paid $20/hour to staff it, but better then that is that kids get work turned into me, either to avoid detention or, once in detention, because I'm sitting there babysitting them and helping them to understand the concepts. If they finish all their math work in the 3 hours, then they are welcome to do work for another class (because usually these are chronic offenders who are behind in multiple classes).

All "Friday" kids have to have had discussions with administration beforehand (to determine why they aren't doing work, and to attempt to scare them into doing it), have to have had parents contacted several times before (letting them know their student is falling behind so the Friday threat isn't a surprise), and finally have to have parental sign off and a parent pick them up at 6 pm, but it's been incredibly helpful in getting kids to get their work done.

I cap it at no more than 6 kids per week so that I can actually get around to help them. If there are only a couple kids, I can often get some work done myself once I get them started. The best part is, all kids in Friday are not allowed to talk to each other, at all...so it's quiet (and not a social outlet!)
3 hour detention? Boy that's tough!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
If I were a teacher, I'd rather assign no homework if I don't get to grade it.

Homework reinforces what was taught earlier in the classroom and ensures the teacher that the students know what they are doing and can move on to the next lesson and schedule test. If I can't grade homework, I don't know what students have no idea what they are doing. So I'd rather just not assign it.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post

Homework reinforces what was taught earlier in the classroom and ensures the teacher that the students know what they are doing and can move on to the next lesson and schedule test. If I can't grade homework, I don't know what students have no idea what they are doing. So I'd rather just not assign it.
I don't grade it for correctness. I expect my students to do that. Before a test, I tell them what I'm collecting and the answers had better be corrected.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post

We don't grade it because you really don't know how much was done independently by the student. We can only use work completed in school towards the academic grade.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,655 times
I've heard the French are banning work as well. No, wait, they've already done that.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times
I personally don't give lots of homework. I think that there is a place for homework, but it should be used for practice. Homework is completely ineffective when it is being used for the purposes of problem solving. And it actually makes the student more stressed, more fatigued, and less mentally prepared for classroom learning. It's not a matter of sparing children hardship; it's the fact that mounds of homework aren't contributing to the mission.

I also think schools should reconsider the traditional classroom hours. Classes at 7:30 or even 8:30??? There's no point. Minds aren't awake at those early hours of the day. Some of my students come in late and then fall asleep, and I find it hard to be critical of them. I get it. Their brains simply aren't awake then (mine isn't either, truth to tell). Moreover, I think we should also have extended lunches from 12:30 to about 3:00 and restart schools at about 3 p.m. in the afternoon and go until about 5:30 or 6 p.m. Homework should be minimal. Meaningful tasks should be completed during those school hours.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post

"I want to help students make successful choices for themselves, but when they don't do work, they don't pass. Now, obviously there are some students who don't do work because they make irresponsible choices, but some students don't because they might need that extra five minutes' worth of explanation. I'd like to give them that explanation and help them be successful. Can I count on your support if I start assigning detentions after school from X:00 to X:00? Of course, I'll call or make an attempt to contact parents to give them 24 hours' notice, but I need your support for further consequences if any students skip out on detention or don't take it seriously - maybe a required parent conference so we can all get together and help that student make wiser decisions?"

Worked for me. Is it extra time for me? Yup. Does my failure rate look pretty good this quarter? Yup. Did I have to inflate grades? Nope.

Are students learning that if they do a crummy piece of work in my class, it will result in at least a half-hour of extra school time for them in which they redo the crummy work they did poorly in the first place? Yep.

Do some of them get the extra instruction they need? Yep.

For the students who are failing, do the assigned and skipped detentions mount up paperwork that says, "Look, I took steps to intervene between this student and his repeated attempts to fail"? Yes. (I made special NCS forms for detention students that I have kept throughout the year as documentation.)

Hope that helps.
Just wanted to let you know that I talked to my vice principal and he said he'd support homework detention. I'm at the school until 4:30 most days anyway.

You should have seen the looks on my kids faces when I told them. I had kids who normally do nothing for me asking for my help!!! Apparently, they dislike me enough that they don't want to hang out with me after school, lol.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Yet another example of why France sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education