Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,127,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I may have had an apathetic nature while in high school, but at least I am optimistic about college and my future. I know plenty of people who are not.
I hope your optimism lasts, but based on your past I am not entirely convinced. What happens when you have to take classes that you don't like in college?

You spent much of your original post complaining about the uselessness of the material taught in high school, but the thing is, you don't know what need to know. As I get older, I am constantly amazed at the amount of information and the skills I learned in high school that has relevance in my life now.

Here is an analogy: during your life, you will need all sorts of tools. You spend your educational career filling your toolbox with those tools so that you can use the tools as needed. You never know which tools you will need to use on any given day, but it is better to have a tool and not need it, than to need a tool and not have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
He also coined the pharade "Dance like there's nobody watching."
Sorry....that should have been "phrase". Too late to edit.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_incentives View Post
Hi all,

I'm reading through everyones thoughts on education; especially at the high school level. Me and my friends who are trying to do something about it would like your feedback. We are building a company that intends to motivate students to excel. The idea is to incentivize learning so students get instant feedback as they go through school and complete assignments.

We have a survey that we are conducting to find out if teachers and parents would be interested.

They are really brief (9-10 questions).

Responses to these questions will shape what the program will do so please be honest and thoughtful.

Thank you all in advance for helping us make education a priority for kids again.

Parents

Parent Interest Form Survey

Teachers

Admin/Educator Incentive Platform Interest Survey
Are you in college??

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
Yes I'm a student at UIC writing a business plan for this potential venture.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What good is it to brag about passing standardized multiple choice tests when reality shows American education is producing adults that are actually less educated than the generation before them ?

Life doesn't consist of scantron sheets and multiple choice questions.
Instructions are not read to you and repeated and your forms checked over for completeness.

College statistics should be a wakeup call to K-12 but it's not.
All we hear is about how many apply to college each year.
But the eye opening statistics is how many don't make it to the end.
By any measure you want, some schools are wildly successful. Want to know our college acceptance rate? College graduation rate? Graduate school rate? Whatever you like it will be above and beyond the norm. Because we are able to offer a style of education much more on par with that found elsewhere, like Singapore.

Want to know how to improve education? Start by looking at the schools that are working, well.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Want to know how to improve education? Start by looking at the schools that are working, well.
What would you say the schools that are working well are doing? Do you have any examples of schools that are working well so that we can examine it?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,240,580 times
Quote:
Wrong about what? How good many of the schools are in my state? Especially the ones in my district?

Uhm no. We have 100% of our students pass the state exams EVERY year. Even our kids with IEPs and 504s.

Wrong about the power of GOOD tracking and intense differentiation? Nope, the proof is in the pudding again.

About our inability to enact that system on a larger scale? Well it hasn't been done yet.

What exactly was "wrong" in the post you quoted?
I don't presume to speak for Stepka, but I believe s/he was saying that you were wrong that nobody wants to hear about the successes. I agree with that sentiment. I love hearing about your school. I'm very glad that your school exists for those students who want that kind of experience. I wish I had had the chance to attend a school that allowed me to soar. I am so glad that you decided to stay there.

If I were at a school that supported teachers, I might stay. Instead, I'm headed to an IT fair tomorrow to start investigating summer jobs so that I can start my new career. I feel guilty for abandoning my students, but I can't conscience being a part of the fraud any longer, and I won't be able to succeed in fighting against it. Your stories help me have faith that there are still some people around who actually want public school students to get a quality education.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Wrong about what? How good many of the schools are in my state? Especially the ones in my district?

Uhm no. We have 100% of our students pass the state exams EVERY year. Even our kids with IEPs and 504s.

Wrong about the power of GOOD tracking and intense differentiation? Nope, the proof is in the pudding again.

About our inability to enact that system on a larger scale? Well it hasn't been done yet.

What exactly was "wrong" in the post you quoted?
Sorry I wasn't more clear. . .

Quote:
But no one wants to hear from those who are successful.
I for one would like to know how you all did it and with what kind of budget. If you've made a thread about it, please direct me there and if you haven't started a thread yet, I wish you would.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
By any measure you want, some schools are wildly successful. Want to know our college acceptance rate? College graduation rate? Graduate school rate? Whatever you like it will be above and beyond the norm. Because we are able to offer a style of education much more on par with that found elsewhere, like Singapore.

Please start a thread and tell us.
Me, I'm in no position to change the rules.
I give my feedback and I offer suggestions.
But those in power have their agendas and plans and there's no stopping them.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsligar View Post
if you don't mind me asking, what state do you hail from?
nj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education