Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:30 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,141,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Why did it anger African-Americans? I thought it would anger lower class rural whites. Jeez just when you thought you figured out who gets offended by what, they go and turn it upside down.
IT'S MEANT TO BE A JOKE PEOPLE! Flag this if you will, but what nowadays DOES NOT anger african americans? Maybe this could be a new thread if out moderator wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,146,567 times
LOL, we had a redneck day, a ghetto day, and a nerd day in my school.

For the nerd day I wore hiked-up sweat pants. Can't remember what I wore for a top.

People get offended to easily, methinks.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:43 PM

15 posts, read 15,249 times

Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,265,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Unless it involves Hollywood or talking smack about Jesus, rural lower class whites won't get offended.

Couldn't view the link but honestly, I can't see why this sort of thing would offend anyone. We had something similar during prom week in high school and no one had any problems.

People that think it's in bad taste, can you explain why you think that?
For some people, the definition of "Red Neck' is 'ignorant, crude, rude, loudmouth, unwashed, unsanitary in habits, using foul language, sometimes dishonest and tricky, also immoral. For these people, the term "Red Neck" ranks right up there with 'poor white trash; and the "N" word. It is something you do not call people.

All those slanderous terms are applied by some people and accepted as what a Red Neck is by those who consider themselves of 'higher class'.

That answers your "why take offense". It doesn't make it fact, just answers your question. There are other people who love the term Red Neck and call themselves Red Necks just for the fun of it. The group has rather disbanded now but I once was part of a family history group who delighted in calling themselves Red Necks. When they adopted that name, two members immediately dropped out and I considered it but the research and sharing we were doing kept me in.

We could also why there. Knowing the connotation, why would anyone want to call himself a Red Neck?

Plain and simple: "Red Neck" has long been an offensive term not used in polite society. Certainly more offensive than Confederate Flag Day. Confederate Flag Day would be part of history. Red Neck Day would not.

I do agree with the person who said 'you can't win' when it comes to knowing what offends and what doesn't. We just carry on and learn. Then, as soon as you learn, it changes.

P.S. All right - finishing my reading, someone wore the Confederate flag to school and that offended. Why? I see people running around all the time with the American flag made into blouses, shirts and skirts. At one time that was almost forbidden. If one is acceptable now, why not the other? How about wearing the Irish flag or the German flag? Aren't these offenses based on who won the war and such?

Last edited by Hazel W; 03-24-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
IT'S MEANT TO BE A JOKE PEOPLE! Flag this if you will, but what nowadays DOES NOT anger african americans? Maybe this could be a new thread if out moderator wants.
Good Point. There's no limit to the vocabulary that's acceptable to say as long as you're black.

Heck, what do I know. Anybody can insult my ancestry and it's perfectly acceptable.. Drunken Irish Mick, insensitive beer bombing Nazi, and wooden shoe finger in the dam Dutchman. Definitely a "cracker".

People can use the term redneck as an insult, but I'll guarantee you that there is a very large contingent of people that are proud to be called such. Why, because it denotes one very important trait. They're not a bunch of phonies who'll stab even their friends in the back to get ahead. What you see is what you get.

Nobody that fills the various definitions of a redneck would be insulted by what this school was proposing. It would take someone outside of this lifestyle to be the ones offended and by the sounds of things, that's exactly what happened.

Last edited by jmgg; 03-24-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,451,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Why did it anger African-Americans? I thought it would anger lower class rural whites. Jeez just when you thought you figured out who gets offended by what, they go and turn it upside down.

So true!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
We had "redneck day" at my rural high school. It was called "every day."

Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We had "redneck day" at my rural high school. It was called "every day."

Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
Someone is offended by something every day....people just need to get over themselves is usually the solution...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education