Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When members of the student council at Queen Creek High School organized a schoolwide “Redneck Day” and encouraged classmates to dress — and spoof — accordingly, they hoped to build school spirit leading up to prom week.

Instead, Redneck Day has angered African-Americans and civil-rights leaders and touched off a debate about free speech, social stereotypes and good taste.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...nclick_check=1

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-23-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Why did it anger African-Americans? I thought it would anger lower class rural whites. Jeez just when you thought you figured out who gets offended by what, they go and turn it upside down.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,520 times
It's because rednecks are stereotypically racist against hispanics and blacks, that's why

Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM

OK, but you'd think being stereotyped llike that would anger lower class rural whites.

I guess as a northeastern middle class son of white working-class parents I'll never get it.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,775,164 times
Cannot open up the link, but my take on this is that "Redneck Day" is just in plain old bad taste.
Somebody at that school should've known better.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM

550 posts, read 1,283,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK, but you'd think being stereotyped llike that would anger lower class rural whites.

I guess as a northeastern middle class son of white working-class parents I'll never get it.
Unless it involves Hollywood or talking smack about Jesus, rural lower class whites won't get offended.

Couldn't view the link but honestly, I can't see why this sort of thing would offend anyone. We had something similar during prom week in high school and no one had any problems.

People that think it's in bad taste, can you explain why you think that?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When members of the student council at Queen Creek High School organized a schoolwide “Redneck Day” and encouraged classmates to dress — and spoof — accordingly, they hoped to build school spirit leading up to prom week.

Instead, Redneck Day has angered African-Americans and civil-rights leaders and touched off a debate about free speech, social stereotypes and good taste.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...nclick_check=1
Your url is redirecting. Hopefully, this one works.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...gers-some.html

This seems to be what cause the African Americans to be angry.

Quote:
Most offensive to Kirby and others was that one student chose to wear a Confederate flag — for many a grim reminder of slavery and segregation.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Most offensive to Kirby and others was that one student chose to wear a Confederate flag — for many a grim reminder of slavery and segregation.
OK, so it's the Confederate flag, not the idea of "Redneck Day" that upset them. That makes sense, and the original post omitted that fact.

One gets the impression that if that one student hadn't worn that flag there would have been no outcry.

Ironically the members of the Duck Dynasty business empire are pretty savvy and all have master's degrees (from what I hear; I've never watched it) and they don't fly any Confederate flags on the show.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
definitely not a smart idea ... but probably more made out of it than should be .... heck, queen creek is in my general metro and I haven't heard anything about this locally (it is a bit far flung though)

seems to be a big part of the issue is some transplant kid wore a confderate flag to school .... again a bad idea, but a good opportunity to have a dialogue

you also have this quote

Quote:
“This thing really got to Marcus,” Kirby said. “When you’re in 11th grade, that can break you down and make you feel at the bottom rung of the whole society, where everybody is being jubilant. No kid should have to go through that. We all know the connotation of ‘redneck.’”
I would completely disagree ..... we don't all know the connotation, no even close ... that is where issues can arise .... what you may consider "redneck" will depend on your age, experiences, geographic background and a host of other things

I still know people from the northeast who self identify as redneck and it has nothing to do with education, racist feeling, cleanliness, etc ....... they have degrees, good jobs, etc .... they just prefer pick up trucks, spending their time hunting/fishing/camping, barely use their computer let alone social media, have no interest is smart phones (barely interest in cell phones), really don't care much about fashion and generally just like to be left alone

Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
It's because rednecks are stereotypically racist against hispanics and blacks, that's why
And the reverse is true in REALITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education