Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2013 and that the OP no longer posts on this site.

This is more of a vent post, as I know there is no solution to my problem.

After 20 years, I finally started college. There were a handful of reasons I didn't go back when I graduated high school, bit I'm happy to be going back. However, I can't even pass Pre-Algebra. I failed it three times in High School and only graduated when the Summer School teacher coached me though every question, even on the final.

Time has passed, nothing has changed. My hopes are dashed. You can't get a degree without at least College Algebra. I BARELY passed the Remdial Math 1 class I tested into, and now half way through Pre-algebra and I realize its going to be a no go. I'm so disappointed. Everyone always says I'm so smart, but obviously Im not.

I think I'll just work in being as attractive and well liked as possible, since that seems to be my only strength in life.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-03-2019 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Welcome to the world of Dyscalculia.

Dyscalculia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dyscalculia Forum - Discussion Forum: is working memory fashionable?

Believe me you are not alone.

Dyscalculia is very real and very much an issue like dyslexia.

Many intellectuals suffer from Dyscalculia so your feelings of frustration and anger are acknowledged.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Welcome to the world of Dyscalculia.

Dyscalculia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dyscalculia Forum - Discussion Forum: is working memory fashionable?

Believe me you are not alone.

Dyscalculia is very real and very much an issue like dyslexia.

Many intellectuals suffer from Dyscalculia so your feelings of frustration and anger are acknowledged.
Sounds like me. Dyslexics get special accommodation. Dyscaculics get failed.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Apparently it's more common than one would think. //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...lliteracy.html

Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post

After 20 years, I finally started college. There were a handful of reasons I didn't go back when I graduated high school, bit I'm happy to be going back. However, I can't even pass Pre-Algebra. I failed it three times in High School and only graduated when the Summer School teacher coached me though every question, even on the final.

Time has passed, nothing has changed. My hopes are dashed. You can't get a degree without at least College Algebra. I BARELY passed the Remdial Math 1 class I tested into, and now half way through Pre-algebra and I realize its going to be a no go. I'm so disappointed. Everyone always says I'm so smart, but obviously Im not.

I think I'll just work in being as attractive and well liked as possible, since that seems to be my only strength in life.

I barely scraped by myself and the only reason I did is I had a friend who is excellent at all math and wrote out step by step guidelines/directions for every type of algebra problem out there and I was able to use those guidelines/directions during the final (only because they were not the actual problems on the final). I feel for you.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Quote:

You might consider going to the education department at your university to see if anyone there specializes in math disabilities. At the very least, they should be able to direct you to some useful resources.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:55 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I barely scraped by myself and the only reason I did is I had a friend who is excellent at all math and wrote out step by step guidelines/directions for every type of algebra problem out there and I was able to use those guidelines/directions during the final (only because they were not the actual problems on the final). I feel for you.
That's pretty awesome, actually... did you have a diagnosed disability or special permission or something? A big part of my math "issues" pertain to remembering the steps. If I'd ever been allowed to have notes like this, I would not have quite the history of math class failures that I currently do.

To the OP: I know exactly what you are going through. I have changed my major repeatedly based on what math was required for this or that degree or program! I finally settled on a BA in English because I can take "math for liberal arts" and I know, from having taken it before, that it will be the math class I am most likely to actually PASS.

I would advise you to ask around; the instructor or professor DOES matter. In fact, when I was attending community college, there were students who would actually travel to a different CC campus across town to take Algebra from one particular instructor who had a well known reputation for being REALLY good at helping those who had failed repeatedly.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

I am SO GLAD I went to college before Algebra was a required course! I probably never would have graduated, either! I feel your pain, OP! Get plenty of coaching at your college's math tutoring center. Give it a second go next year, if you have to. You're far from alone in your struggle! Maybe you could form a small study group with others who are struggling. Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
That's pretty awesome, actually... did you have a diagnosed disability or special permission or something? A big part of my math "issues" pertain to remembering the steps. If I'd ever been allowed to have notes like this, I would not have quite the history of math class failures that I currently do.
I teach courses on research methods (esp. quantitative methods) and statistics, and ALL of my quizzes, exams, and other assignments are OPEN-EVERYTHING. I have never understood the utility of having students memorize formulas etc. My assignments test how well students understand the material, not how well they can memorize things!

Statistics (or algebra or other forms of math) do NOT have to be so scary, even for students who are not particularly good at math.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Apparently it's more common than one would think. //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...lliteracy.html
What I'd like to know is, why doesn't dyscalculia seem to be an issue in Romania? What teaching methods does Romania use for math, that they routinely turn out a high percentage of math whizzes? What can we learn from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education