Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,812,148 times

Advertisements

Greetings, I am interested in any methods any one knows of on how to teach a baby so as to be advanced or even a prodigy.

Something along the lines of the Suzuki method.

I have come to the conclusion that learning videos are a complete waste of time. Obviously I am reading to the Baby already and trying to work on things like the alphabet. I don't just mean mentally advanced, but physically as well.

The idea is to help this child be extremely skilled simply by starting many things at a much younger age.

I was reading about the child genius who at age 4 is being asked to join Mensa. I don't believe something like that simply happens, that she clearly was being worked with is obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Not sure if you can teach your baby to be extremely skilled, but you could teach her to be extremely frustrated and super resentful of your efforts.

The best thing I did for my kids as babies was spend a lot of time talking TO them, even in their car seats, and engaging them well before they could speak.

Read to her, play with her, expose her to lots of new and interesting things in our world. And be sure to give her PLENTY of time off to do things SHE chooses.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,219,289 times
First, make sure that you were born to parents with extremely high IQs then make sure that you marry someone who has a high IQ, also with parents with extremely high IQs. Make sure that both of your take all of you vitamins, eat healthy, do not drink or use drugs, your entire lives (including when you were children).

Perhaps, you will have a child prodigy.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,509,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Greetings, I am interested in any methods any one knows of on how to teach a baby so as to be advanced or even a prodigy.

Something along the lines of the Suzuki method.

I have come to the conclusion that learning videos are a complete waste of time. Obviously I am reading to the Baby already and trying to work on things like the alphabet. I don't just mean mentally advanced, but physically as well.

The idea is to help this child be extremely skilled simply by starting many things at a much younger age.

I was reading about the child genius who at age 4 is being asked to join Mensa. I don't believe something like that simply happens, that she clearly was being worked with is obvious.
Nope, it does "simply happen" a genius child teaches themselves. Enjoy your baby, don't push and they will turn out great.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,787,171 times
The great Judge Judy once (or twice) said "you can't fix stupid"

Well, some people are plain ol' stupid (I get paid to work with stupid people) and then there is the Dunning-Kruger Effect and so forth...So in conclusion, as the great Lady Gaga wrote "I was born this way".

Ah, forget my rambling, the point is you can't teach your kid to be smart, although reading to them and teaching them will give them a leg up.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,882,817 times
I started my oldest when she was 5 months old on the better baby institute materials, and she was 4.0 all the way thru school including college.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

22,643 posts, read 47,828,778 times
Nothing will teach a child to be a prodigy.
Either they are or they aren't.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,231,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nothing will teach a child to be a prodigy.
Either they are or they aren't.
This.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,812,148 times
Thanks for nothing. Do any of you actually have any sort of background in learning or psychology?

I'm appalled by the responses. None of you have a clue what you are even talking about.

You really think a girl learned the ABC's on her own by month 4?

I could cite many sources but I won't even waste the time. Clearly the nature vs. nurture debate had been ongoing for many years. I was curious if any of you knew of any sort of unique teaching methods, all you had to do is say no.

Though I think most of you clearly misunderstood. I'm talking about helping someone reach their full potential. Clearly I chose the wrong forum and should look towards one that is more academic in nature. Psycho motor learning is my specialty. You'd be quite amazed what the research suggest. Novice can be taught to be quite skilled. The idea that it is inherited has certainly not been proven by any means.

Thanks Jrsygrl5 for responding and not simply passing same inane judgmental blather.

If any one else has something to add to the conversation besides some uneducated nonsense I am all ears.

The topic is about teaching techniques to help your child, not how to turn them into prodigies. It was simply brought up in the light of the little girl I saw in the news today who has been asked to join Mensa.

Believe it are not, some people are so talented as young adults, because they started learning well before the average child. I'll do my own research I guess. Perhaps some people on the teaching forum might appreciate my efforts.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
If you want to control the results you get, DON'T ask your question on an online forum. Just Google.

Do what you wish, just do your kid a favor and NEVER speak to any of her teachers the way you've responded here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education