Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

I believe that babies and children have a much larger capacity to learn than most people give them credit for and I do believe that they can learn advanced information/concepts at a much younger age than generally thought.

I am not a parent, but if I were I would be pursuing every possible aspect of teaching them as much as possible as soon as possible. I believe that we do have the capability of being geniuses if taught properly.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,585 times
Here is a decent webpage for the early teaching naysayers.

I suppose it is okay to have your opinion. Don't castigate others for wanting to work with our babies.

Debate on Early Learning, Early Education, Teaching Babies to Read

Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I believe that babies and children have a much larger capacity to learn than most people give them credit for and I do believe that they can learn advanced information/concepts at a much younger age than generally thought.

I am not a parent, but if I were I would be pursuing every possible aspect of teaching them as much as possible as soon as possible. I believe that we do have the capability of being geniuses if taught properly.

20yrsinBranson

I believe so, I've been reading some scholarly journals and they actually suggest that their is no such thing as the exceptional human, that all humans pretty much have the same capacity for learning. Some are just able to unlock it, by chance or choice. Their are exceptions though. Savants like Ken Peek being one.

It's a lively debate though, many people believe (foolishly) that talented people are just born that way. Generally they worked at it. Autonomy is a very important aspect though. Tiger Woods for example was a child who was taught to be a great golfer from I believe the age of 2. his Dad never made him practice per se, he worked to make him want to practice.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

I suppose it is okay to have your opinion. Don't castigate others for wanting to work with our babies.

You do realize your "decent webpage" is a sales pitch right?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
The topic is about teaching techniques to help your child, not how to turn them into prodigies.
Maybe you should rephrase your original post then to reflect the question you are truly asking.

Quote:
Greetings, I am interested in any methods any one knows of on how to teach a baby so as to be advanced or even a prodigy.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
I believe so, I've been reading some scholarly journals and they actually suggest that their is no such thing as the exceptional human, that all humans pretty much have the same capacity for learning. Some are just able to unlock it, by chance or choice. Their are exceptions though. Savants like Ken Peek being one.

It's a lively debate though, many people believe (foolishly) that talented people are just born that way. Generally they worked at it. Autonomy is a very important aspect though. Tiger Woods for example was a child who was taught to be a great golfer from I believe the age of 2. his Dad never made him practice per se, he worked to make him want to practice.
I think it takes both hard work and the luck of good genes. I also think being extremely good at something, be it academics, music, dance, soccer, golf, or whatever, means practicing/working during your formative years, to the exclusion of all else. To me, it isn't worth the sacrifice. I think babies should be allowed to be babies.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Thanks for nothing. Do any of you actually have any sort of background in learning or psychology?

I'm appalled by the responses. None of you have a clue what you are even talking about.

You really think a girl learned the ABC's on her own by month 4?

I could cite many sources but I won't even waste the time. Clearly the nature vs. nurture debate had been ongoing for many years. I was curious if any of you knew of any sort of unique teaching methods, all you had to do is say no.

Though I think most of you clearly misunderstood. I'm talking about helping someone reach their full potential. Clearly I chose the wrong forum and should look towards one that is more academic in nature. Psycho motor learning is my specialty. You'd be quite amazed what the research suggest. Novice can be taught to be quite skilled. The idea that it is inherited has certainly not been proven by any means.

Thanks Jrsygrl5 for responding and not simply passing same inane judgmental blather.

If any one else has something to add to the conversation besides some uneducated nonsense I am all ears.

The topic is about teaching techniques to help your child, not how to turn them into prodigies. It was simply brought up in the light of the little girl I saw in the news today who has been asked to join Mensa.

Believe it are not, some people are so talented as young adults, because they started learning well before the average child. I'll do my own research I guess. Perhaps some people on the teaching forum might appreciate my efforts.
Perhaps they might. Although why you need people to appreciate your efforts toward your own baby is beyond me. Oh, and it doesn't matter how above average you are, if you're awfully rude you'll be awfully lonely. Do be sure to include that in your teaching efforts.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
I started my oldest when she was 5 months old on the better baby institute materials, and she was 4.0 all the way thru school including college.

So was I and I never had anything but a plain old being raised by my Mother and going to school and doing my best. I'm betting that institute material you used wasn't even invented when I was a kid.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
Well, if your kid doesn't "have it", you can do whatever the heck you want and they won't know their alphabets by 4 months. I personally don't think that's possible unless the child is extremely gifted. It's a gift. you can't "teach" it.

With that said, read the book Outliers. Maybe it might give you some ideas.

Last edited by foma; 07-30-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
Quote:
Thanks for nothing. Do any of you actually have any sort of background in learning or psychology?
Any sort of background? One of my undergrad degrees is psych. It left me suspicious of social science being called a science.

Quote:
I could cite many sources but I won't even waste the time. Clearly the nature vs. nurture debate had been ongoing for many years. I was curious if any of you knew of any sort of unique teaching methods, all you had to do is say no.

Though I think most of you clearly misunderstood. I'm talking about helping someone reach their full potential. Clearly I chose the wrong forum and should look towards one that is more academic in nature. Psycho motor learning is my specialty. You'd be quite amazed what the research suggest. Novice can be taught to be quite skilled. The idea that it is inherited has certainly not been proven by any means.
Sounds interesting, tho I'm not sure what's all involved here. What does the research suggest?

Regarding nurture vs nature, as with most things human related it's a combination. Anyhow, I don't have any methods to offer, but I'm a new mom of a three month old and I'm interested in learning.

Quote:

The link reminds me of my baby411 book. I would be interested in reading about outcome and how it relates to parents professional background. For example, my best friend is HS English teacher and her dh is a writer. Her daughter is advanced in reading/writing. Makes sense since that's what they're into. How about parents that are both techies or scientists? I wonder if there is any data on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education