Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,110 times

Advertisements

Charleston was just getting high-speed internet with @home in 1998-99. We got it in the summer of 1999, and we were a very early adapter. Until then, most people had the 60 channel cable.

High schools had just gotten T1 lines around 1998 or 99. It was a big deal for a computer lab to have one. And this wasn't for the entire area. The poorer schools in the rural areas didn't get high-speed lines until around 2000 or so.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 PM

411 posts, read 901,083 times
I graduated in 1991.

There were zero cell phones and no internet. Pagers were big though I thought they were stupid for someone my age so I never had one.

Someone said you knew your friends house #'s and that is certainly true.

Call waiting was here but I don't think my family had it till later. I remember the frustration of parents not getting the name of the caller (especially a female!!).

Hip hop culture was getting big.

Some white kids were starting to act black.

There was no way a gay person was going to come out in my high school at that time. Now, my old school has a gay/lesbian alliance program there.

Glam rock was HUGE until grunge hit big in the summer of '91. Within a few weeks all those pretty boy crap bands were wiped off the planet and stripped of all credibility. That was great!!

The mullet hair-don't was big in 1991 but soon became very dorky and/or trashy. This is also because of grunge.

TV was in a holding pattern. still pretty conservative like the 80's. Overall TV was not very exciting.

I almost died of shock when Tyson lost to Douglass. Many of us almost died because of that.

there were sluts of course. Now there are WAY more.

Steroids were starting to come into play in baseball.

American cars were awful.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Some white kids were starting to act black.
They started using cocoa butter to keep their skin from getting ashy and singing while picking cotton? What exactly do you mean by acting black?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They started using cocoa butter to keep their skin from getting ashy and singing while picking cotton? What exactly do you mean by acting black?
Without sounding rude...the term "wigger" was a word when I was in high school that referred to white kids that acted black. I came from a school that had a total of 550 kids in NH and that word was still used. I am surprised that this is new to you. The kids in reference listened to rap, wore urban style clothing, used "black slang", had pagers, etc...

At the time most white kids were not into this stuff (at least in my school anyway). As stated in a previous post we only had one black kid at our school but he was preppie and followed none of those traits listed above. "Wigger" was more of a ghetto style term.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
You must have been under a rock for a long time. This was and is a very common thing.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
This surprises me. For us in the 90s, online social networking was huge. We used AOL, forums (similar to CD), game sites like yahoo games and candystand, and so many forms of social networking sites. I guess it was regional...
Def. regional, as this was not the case in the rural midwest, until the late 90s-early 2000s.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Def. regional, as this was not the case in the rural midwest, until the late 90s-early 2000s.

I clearly remember the AOL social networking as early as 1996. That was my first experience although it could have been earlier.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,186 times
Yeah, I was typing on the good old electric ribbon typewriter as a freshman, and printing papers out from a computer with Word by the time I was a Senior, crazy!
As a Freshman, only the "elite" kids would turn in a non - hand written paper. Everyone was blown away. LOL

Also, I remember school teachers and librarians being very confused by using the internet and CD ROMS for research. AKA "Computer sources. For example, if you found a fact in World Book Encyclopdia, and were able to cite the page number out of a real live book, it was a "source". If you put the CD ROM for World Book into the computer and found the exact same article, and the exact same senctence of data, you couldn't use that information that was a dreaded "Computer Source". LOL.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,110 times
Computers have changed so much from what I remember. When I was in kindergarten and first grade, they were still using Macs from the early and mid 1990s in the elementary schools. That was 1997-99.

When I started middle school (2003), every school in our district had Dells with high-speed internet (slow compared to today) and most of the programs needed to be a good student.

There was TV in the classrooms, but until a few years ago, they were bulky 1980s models. All the TVs showed were educational programs. The nice schools here got video equipment in the mid to late 90s so they could show announcements on video. My elementary school, for example, had a media center with a makeshift studio. They did 7-10 minutes every morning.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
I think most people associate "social networking" with means of communication such as Facebook or Twitter that connect you with people you know in real life. I remember the older breed of "social networks" - ICQ, newsgroups, e-mail lists, chat rooms (IRC, Delphi, etc.) - had a lot of good conversations and met many nice people on there, but I didn't really get connected with my then-7th grade classmates until 2000 with AIM, and later 2006 with MySpace and Facebook.

We used the ancient Apple //e through 2nd grade, when we started using more modern Macs. I quit my public school from 1997 to 1999 to return to fully-upgraded computer labs with high-speed internet access and classrooms with TVs. I remember downloading something and thinking how impressive it was to do it at 180 kb/s (almost full T1 bandwidth) and being the first one in the class (and possibly the grade) to do a computer presentation, albeit on a 27" TV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education