Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys, I was just thinking about my days in school and remember having assigned lunch seats.

I hated them. Do you think kids should be assigned to a table to sit for lunch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 PM

340 posts, read 523,711 times
No. I see no benefit to imposing such.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
i have mixed feelings about this. Cliques can be so hurtful, especially starting in middle school. They sometimes leave kids out, bully others and make their life miserable. The shy kids are left to fend for themselves and may not feel good about just going to sit with kids they might want to be friends with. I was the new kid in school too many times to remember and I can still see myself standing with my tray in the cafeteria wondering where to sit. Usually there was a kid or group of kids who would invite me to sit with them but not always. Assigned seats force kids to at least acknowledge others maybe outside their usual circle of friends.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Our kids don't have assigned seats, but they do have assigned tables and they sit with their class at least in k-4 (elementary). I am not sure about the middle school as I never asked my granddaughter about that.

It hasn't been a problem so far and neither of my grandchildren minded it.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
i have mixed feelings about this. Cliques can be so hurtful, especially starting in middle school. They sometimes leave kids out, bully others and make their life miserable. The shy kids are left to fend for themselves and may not feel good about just going to sit with kids they might want to be friends with. I was the new kid in school too many times to remember and I can still see myself standing with my tray in the cafeteria wondering where to sit. Usually there was a kid or group of kids who would invite me to sit with them but not always. Assigned seats force kids to at least acknowledge others maybe outside their usual circle of friends.
I must admit that this is a very good point

Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
I had to assign a few seats last year to keep a few kids apart, but as long as there are no behavior issues I say no.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 PM

421 posts, read 879,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't think that would matter though in a school where cliques are a huge problem.

If anything, that gives cliques an excuse for their bullying because they can always say, "Well you forced me to sit next to this person I hate, so it's your fault."

Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Not at all!

Kids are required to keep quiet and sit in their assigned seats all day long. Lunch is their only 30 minutes of freedom. A child left out due to cliques can be fixed.

At some point in life, the shy kids/introverts are going to have to learn to that the world wasn't made for them. And as far a new kids go (I've been one, several times), it's a lot easier when teachers have them buddy up with the friendly kid in class. Unfortunately, that's just the way life is...

Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
I teach middle school. The first two weeks of school, I walk my 5th period class to the cafeteria, they all sit at the same table, and I pick them all up and walk them back 30 minutes later. After the first two weeks, they may sit wherever they'd like and I no longer play mother duck.

Those first two weeks are torturous for that age. It's all about cliques and feeling included, so by setting precedent the first couple weeks that everyone has a seat, and it's okay to sit with people who aren't your friend, we find there are a lot less issues the rest of the year when kids can sit with whomever they'd like.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
We start off with open lunch. If we have trouble, and we invariably do, we go to seating by room. The next ratchet up is assigned seats.

The first poster was right, the children hate it. After a week or so, if they improve, and I can assure you they do, we open it up again. We do this very infrequently twice. Never three times. It works.

Personally, I hate it, because it is just one more thing to keep track of, but it is very very effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education