Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 AM

208 posts, read 218,526 times

Advertisements

I went to an all boys schools from 6 to 18 years old. It had military-like discipline. Teachers were all men of course. It was mandatory to take up sports and you would be shamed if your grades dropped below a certain level. You had to stay there from 8 AM to 6 PM even if your classes finished earlier.

My father, grandfather and brother also attended this school. My brother said he wishes to enroll my nephew there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
I think one reaps what one sows.

The family was joking around. My son replied to some comment I made with "Mom, you want me to be a manly man?" I asked what a manly man is. "You know what you see on tv. Muscle bound, hot, douchy and stupid".

That is what I would expect from an upbringing like you mention. Thankfully, it does not seem to be what I can expect from the upbringing that my son is receiving.

Now - mods. That is not a personal attack on ANYONE. That is a reply about what I think of that kind of "discipline".

Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
We both come from a law enforcement background and no, do not wish that upbringing on our two boys. We made the choice as adults to receive that form of discipline, I do not think that it is acceptable for children. And considering what sort of posts I have read from you, that is not the kind of male I would be proud to call my son, so, definitely not. It certainly promotes an attitude which completely lacks in empathy. Not becoming of a future husband or father, IMO.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I think that school is appropriate for a boy who is in desperate need of structure. But it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think one reaps what one sows.

The family was joking around. My son replied to some comment I made with "Mom, you want me to be a manly man?" I asked what a manly man is. "You know what you see on tv. Muscle bound, hot, douchy and stupid".

That is what I would expect from an upbringing like you mention. Thankfully, it does not seem to be what I can expect from the upbringing that my son is receiving.

Now - mods. That is not a personal attack on ANYONE. That is a reply about what I think of that kind of "discipline".
Actually, we were taught respect for authority. I go when I see the way kids speak to teachers these days.

In addition, we were taught to never leave anyone out in a group. We did everything together.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
We both come from a law enforcement background and no, do not wish that upbringing on our two boys. We made the choice as adults to receive that form of discipline, I do not think that it is acceptable for children. And considering what sort of posts I have read from you, that is not the kind of male I would be proud to call my son, so, definitely not. It certainly promotes an attitude which completely lacks in empathy. Not becoming of a future husband or father, IMO.
My mother would certainly disagree with you. Like I said, we were told respect above everything and that is certainly lacking these days. Besides, every guy from my class went on to university. I don't think any of them is unemployed these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think that school is appropriate for a boy who is in desperate need of structure. But it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.
Desperate need of structure? How so?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasX51 View Post
I went to an all boys schools from 6 to 18 years old. It had military-like discipline. Teachers were all men of course. It was mandatory to take up sports and you would be shamed if your grades dropped below a certain level. You had to stay there from 8 AM to 6 PM even if your classes finished earlier.

My father, grandfather and brother also attended this school. My brother said he wishes to enroll my nephew there as well.
Sounds expensive. Government schools have already been paid for. Take advantage of them.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasX51 View Post

There can be benefits to single gender education. I think that a school that offers music, art, theater, photography, dance and other arts classes would be beneficial to boys. Most public schools offer adequate athletic offerings for boys (and girls) who are athletic. In mixed gender schools many boys are afraid to take these classes because they worry about looking less masculine in front of the girls. An all boys school could provide a safe environment for boys who are interested in the arts but worried about how they will be perceived.

I do not think that single gender education is a one size fits all solution to education but it can be beneficial to certain kids. I don't think the fact that other men in the family attended this school automatically makes it a good fit for your nephew. Your brother should evaluate whether this school is a good fit for his child. It doesn't matter who else went there. It has to be a good fit for your nephew.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Sounds expensive. Government schools have already been paid for. Take advantage of them.
It's very expensive but worth every penny. It's much better than a government school. Smaller classes, way safer, discipline and politeness are unquestionable. And the quality is excellent, everyone had top grades.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Our son went to an all boys Catholic high school. (That was the only option around here for a non-public high school that didn't have an annual tuition bill of $25,000.) He got a great education there; however, I don't know that there are exceptional benefits to single gender schools for boys. (For girls, I think there is an advantage.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education