Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 PM

65 posts, read 228,675 times

Advertisements

My son will be coming to 11th grade next year and now we are looking at course selection. It seems that he has lot of AP courses as shown below. He is also supposed to take AP US history also but not sure if he can handle this much load.

Chemistry AP
Biology AP
Statistics AP
Physics AP
English AP
Spanish IV AP
Computer Science AP

We wanted to know if it is OK to take the AP US History in summer to get some relief in 11th grade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey0915 View Post
My son will be coming to 11th grade next year and now we are looking at course selection. It seems that he has lot of AP courses as shown below. He is also supposed to take AP US history also but not sure if he can handle this much load.

Chemistry AP
Biology AP
Statistics AP
Physics AP
English AP
Spanish IV AP
Computer Science AP

We wanted to know if it is OK to take the AP US History in summer to get some relief in 11th grade?
That depends on whether he can handle the course and all the summer work he'll have from the other AP courses. I'm surprised they'd even offer AP anything in the summer. The courses are usually work horses as 7 month courses (leading up to the exam) and they include a significant amount of summer work before class starts. Cramming that all into 12 weeks along with summer work for the 7 other course you have listed here will be very difficult.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Wow, that looks like a crazy intense schedule. Why is he doubling up in both Math and Science?? I see zero breathing room. No English and no history? I agree with Ivorytickler about summer AP.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
IS that list the course selection you mention, or is that his actual schedule?

No school around me does AP courses in the summer. That would be nuts....

Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Depending on what he plans on going to college for, I would scratch some of those AP classes altogether. For example, unless he plans on doing a comp sci degree, the ap comp sci class wont help (In my school it wouldn't help anyhow, you'd still be required the take the intro class). If he's good with English and Spanish, he may be able to CLEP out of the college classes without taking the AP courses in highschool. Also, most colleges don't have any kind of foreign language requirement, so the AP spanish might just go to waste anyhow.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Depending on what he plans on going to college for, I would scratch some of those AP classes altogether. For example, unless he plans on doing a comp sci degree, the ap comp sci class wont help (In my school it wouldn't help anyhow, you'd still be required the take the intro class). If he's good with English and Spanish, he may be able to CLEP out of the college classes without taking the AP courses in highschool. Also, most colleges don't have any kind of foreign language requirement, so the AP spanish might just go to waste anyhow.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that many of the "elite" schools even accept CLEP scores as replacement for courses/credit. Many state schools do, but if the OP's son is looking at going on to an Ivy Plus type of a school (which seems quite possible given the junior year course load listed above), CLEP may not really be an option.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey0915 View Post

Chemistry AP
Biology AP
Statistics AP
Physics AP
English AP
Spanish IV AP
Computer Science AP

OMG! This is an absolute KILLER courseload. Are you for real, or are you making this up to get a point across? Unless the kid is a genius workaholic who is incredibly efficient, no way should he take this. What does his school guidance counselor say?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IS that list the course selection you mention, or is that his actual schedule?

No school around me does AP courses in the summer. That would be nuts....
In most school systems AP Spanish is Spanish 5 and is either Language or Literature.

He's too loaded down.

As mentioned, many colleges will not allot AP credit for subjects in the student's major. And it's just not the schedule, anyone can have a "schedule", it's the score on the AP exam that matters. Many schools are also suspending granting credit or exemptions for AP because of the proliferation of kids taking the courses now. That, or the minimum score for credit or exemption has been raised from a 3 to a 4 or, in some cases, a 5.

AP students burn out. There, I've said it. Especially when you couple academic pressure with parental pressure.

If your state is like most he does need to fit a History in there. Whatever your state requires.

Signed:
Thirty year teacher, AP teacher, AP Coordinator.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM

389 posts, read 916,840 times
You do realize that the only time the students actually take the AP exams is early in May, right? So even if a high school offered the AP classes during the summer (which I do not believe any do), the exam for the class would not be until the following May.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
It depends on your student and school. How is he currently handling his classes? Are they AP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education