Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is a thinly disguised article to grab the wealth from suburbia and redistribute it to the cities.
This is the liberal agenda and education has always been liberal so it should come as no surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Explain students in Canada. They teach all their students.
.....but they don't expect the special needs students to take the same tests as the regular ed students...

Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
This is a thinly disguised article to grab the wealth from suburbia and redistribute it to the cities.
That already happens in our state...the inner city schools have the highest per pupil spending, partially funded by taxes from the suburbs and they are STILL horrible schools. It's not the money--yes, you need enough money for schools to do their job but ultimately it comes down to the students in the school and if you have 70+% of your kids showing up having not eaten since lunch the day before or maybe they stayed up 1/2 the night to take care of siblings...doing well on a math test just isn't a priority...

Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That already happens in our state...the inner city schools have the highest per pupil spending, partially funded by taxes from the suburbs and they are STILL horrible schools. It's not the money--yes, you need enough money for schools to do their job but ultimately it comes down to the students in the school and if you have 70+% of your kids showing up having not eaten since lunch the day before or maybe they stayed up 1/2 the night to take care of siblings...doing well on a math test just isn't a priority...
My school got a lot of money for low income kids. It was mostly spent on worthless "professional development" that no one wanted, an extra resource teacher here and there, who would teach some silly science lab or something else the students didn't care about, and a bunch of "reform" programs that everyone hated. Meanwhile the students were hungry and didn't have enough food or warm clothing.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
My school got a lot of money for low income kids. It was mostly spent on worthless "professional development" that no one wanted, an extra resource teacher here and there, who would teach some silly science lab or something else the students didn't care about, and a bunch of "reform" programs that everyone hated. Meanwhile the students were hungry and didn't have enough food or warm clothing.
Why is this the responsibility of the schools? This is a social welfare issue, not an education issue, yet people seem to think that schools need to be the be all, end all for social problems....and WHY these low income schools are dragging down test scores. Like I said, if they removed these schools from the tallies, our number would soar. Schools already have free breakfast and lunch programs for low income students...what more do you want them to do?

Also, just so you understand, money earmarked for educational resources can't be used to feed kids, they are separate funding sources. I sure hope you aren't a teacher too because professional development is important....

Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Also, just so you understand, money earmarked for educational resources can't be used to feed kids, they are separate funding sources. I sure hope you aren't a teacher too because professional development is important....
While professional development is important these funds would be better used by purchasing more adults, such as tutors and aides, to help educate the kids.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,632 times
Concerning professional development:

After 2 decades of experiencing "professional development", I've come to the conclusions that 90% of it was absolute bilge - completely worthless and a painful waste of my time. Money - and time - was/is completely wasted on in-service that could have been better spent on more useful things. I mean it - some of these were painful to sit through, knowing how much better my time could have been used, and how much better the system's money could have been spent. But no one asks us what type of professional development we the teachers would like and need. I contacted our directer of professional development once, asking if she knew of any classes, software, in-services, etc., that would train the science/math teachers to make computer animations as visual aids for hard-to-understand concepts. No answer. Asked again, and another teacher - coincidentally - emailed the same thing. No answer.

But we did get a mass e-mail later on a required in-service (5th one now) training us in PARCC assessments.

How does a profession take back their profession? How is it that we have absolutely no power/influence over policy? We did we do to merit such disrespect? This saddens me beyond belief.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 PM

3,323 posts, read 2,135,210 times
I believe it's a problem that quite a few of these failing-but-over-funded inner city schools (including the one in the capital city of my home state) have become yet another negative reflection of the status quo.

All of the school funding in the world isn't going to have a reasonably cost effective return in such areas, and these funds are ultimately relegated to being money sinks for the taxpayers. Many of these children are going home every day to households & communities steeped in various forms of criminality, drug use/dealing, poor hygiene, near-abandonment, violence, as well as perpetual self-victimization and government reliance. Worse yet, in my opinion, is that we've allowed these problems to become so large that, under the current system(s), there is virtually nothing that can be done to meaningfully address them. It truly saddens my heart.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM

542 posts, read 691,850 times
Quote:
Why is this the responsibility of the schools? This is a social welfare issue, not an education issue, yet people seem to think that schools need to be the be all, end all for social problems....and WHY these low income schools are dragging down test scores. Like I said, if they removed these schools from the tallies, our number would soar. Schools already have free breakfast and lunch programs for low income students...what more do you want them to do?
Did you read the article? It talks about how Finland has incorporated a lot of these social welfare issues and reformed their schools.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
Quote:
Actually in a lot of places the wealthier parts of the metropolitan area are in the city proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education