Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,011,381 times

Advertisements

There are pros and cons to both. Before middle school, I think co-ed makes sense. My brothers all attended all-boys schools for high school, and did well academically. They faced fierce competition to make any sports teams though. My parents wanted to send me to the all-girls "sister" school for high school, and I objected. In hindsight, I would have been a better student if I had gone there.

A strong, dedicated student will do well under either scenario. An athletically minded student may do better in a coed school.
An easily distracted, less disciplined student will probably do better in a single sex classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,234,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There are pros and cons to both. Before middle school, I think co-ed makes sense. My brothers all attended all-boys schools for high school, and did well academically. They faced fierce competition to make any sports teams though. My parents wanted to send me to the all-girls "sister" school for high school, and I objected. In hindsight, I would have been a better student if I had gone there.

A strong, dedicated student will do well under either scenario. An athletically minded student may do better in a coed school.
An easily distracted, less disciplined student will probably do better in a single sex classroom.
Great post.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,511,016 times
It depends on the school and the student. I went to a girls school through 9th grade and hated it. But I had friends who really felt their single sex school was a wonderful experience, so I think like most things there isn't one answer.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM

8,876 posts, read 8,483,588 times
Taiwan has tons of single sex schools,I personally don't think being educated in co-ed or single sex schools makes any difference.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:00 PM

27 posts, read 34,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Socialization involves much more than dating.

It's the process of learning your society's customs and norms. If you live in a co-ed society, a single-sex education can delay that process.
but as someone pointed out above, the workplace isn't exactly how schools are like either.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:48 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,877,040 times
Quote:
Socialization involves much more than dating.

It's the process of learning your society's customs and norms. If you live in a co-ed society, a single-sex education can delay that process.
As can home schooling, to an even greater degree.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,993,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
which is better in your opinion? Would you feel differently if your child was a boy or a girl?
I attended both. My classroom was all girls but our school was mixed and we interacted with boys during after school activities and at lunch. We also were friends with a lot of boys in our neighborhood.

I would prefer coed. I cannot imagine how boring must be growing up in a suburb and on top of that not knowing anybody from the opposite sex except for people in your family. Why do people love to torture their kids and create these ridiculous bubbles?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:33 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,924,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I attended both. My classroom was all girls but our school was mixed and we interacted with boys during after school activities and at lunch. We also were friends with a lot of boys in our neighborhood.

I would prefer coed. I cannot imagine how boring must be growing up in a suburb and on top of that not knowing anybody from the opposite sex except for people in your family. Why do people love to torture their kids and create these ridiculous bubbles?
Huh. I'm not sure why someone who attends a single-sex school would ONLY know females? When you were in school, did you only know those you attended school with? Only friends were ones from school? I have my reservations about single sex schooling, but this idea that one is completely sheltered from the opposite gender and never, ever associates with them if attending a single sex school is rather ridiculous. And rather untrue, in my experience.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,124,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
but as someone pointed out above, the workplace isn't exactly how schools are like either.
You work in a single-sex workplace??

Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,511,016 times
Quote:
You work in a single-sex workplace??
When I worked in investment banking it certainly felt that away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education