Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 11:14 AM

276 posts, read 338,352 times

Advertisements

Teachers; ever had to teach curriculum that you disagreed with?
I suspect it happens from time to time when you're required to teach something that has political or religious undertones rather than scientific fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 01:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Thematically, no.

But I'm not necessarily required to teach scientific fact, given that I teach literature. When there are political or religious themes in various literature, as there often are, I teach it within the context of that, teach why the work was written as it is, who wrote it, where and when it was written, what factors contributed to the writing, etc. Typically, understanding the political and religious situation in which the work was created is central to understanding the literature itself.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:29 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
I once had to teach sex ed and say that the only way to avoid AIDS was to be abstinent.

And I didn't teach it, but apparently my son's elementary curriculum teaches that Columbus was a hero. I wasn't too happy when he came home with coloring pages of a sweet-looking, smiling Christopher Columbus, a man who proudly admitted selling 9 year old girls into sexual slavery.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:11 PM

41 posts, read 41,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I once had to teach sex ed and say that the only way to avoid AIDS was to be abstinent.

And I didn't teach it, but apparently my son's elementary curriculum teaches that Columbus was a hero. I wasn't too happy when he came home with coloring pages of a sweet-looking, smiling Christopher Columbus, a man who proudly admitted selling 9 year old girls into sexual slavery.
I got the same BS when I was in elementary school. I don't think most kids learn about the real Christopher Columbus until they get to college.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I loved teaching math and was quite proficient at it. My kids had the highest scores in our school. The joke was that I could teach anyone math, which I happily did until they adopted Everyday Math/Common Core Math, which requires the students to jump through various hoops and explain in detail how they got their answers rather than using the standard algorithms. Here's an example:

You’ve Just Got to See What a ‘Frustrated Parent’ Wrote on Their Child’s Common Core Math Assignment | TheBlaze.com

I understood the theory behind this, but it's implementation was bad, the kids (and many of the teachers) found it confusing, and it made the kids hate math, especially the lower functioning kids, who didn't understand all of these steps, and the kids who were gifted at math, and could simply look at a problem and know the answer without all of these gyrations. I just didn't feel good about it or believe in it, so I asked my principal to reassign me, which he did. I'm so thankful because I was pretty torn up about it.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Not quite.

But there are things that in application differ from the possibilities in reality. For example, if we are teaching (and testing) on surface artificial respiration, we tell the students to remove their face mask. BUT, I tell them that if they have to swim a distance in reality, especially in salt water, they may want to keep their mask on.

Sort of like when I was being taught how to fly and having the engine go out. The FIRST thing you do is fly the plane, but along the way, you want to do all those other things, call for help, try to restart the engine, look for a field, etc.. But when you are practicing it, you say that, but you don't actually do it, (well, maybe look for that field).

Sometimes, it is hard to learn what needs to be done in the actual event if you aren't able to practice them in a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education