Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,385,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Did you read the link to the document embedded in the original article, though? It shows how the study was conducted and how reading levels were assessed; tables, charts, graphs, etc.
Oh, yes, I've been through it with a fine tooth comb, and villageidiot is right. That so many seem to have missed it strikes me as hilariously funny, given this thread is all about critical reading ability. As usual, people in forums just want to argue what they already believe is true rather than evaluating the evidence as presented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 PM

483 posts, read 671,096 times
Quote:
Did you read the link to the document embedded in the original article, though? It shows how the study was conducted and how reading levels were assessed; tables, charts, graphs, etc.
The document embedded in the article is toilet paper from a private resource provider of....reading material. They have charts and graphs of...nothing pertaining to their assertion.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,359,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
“'We are spending billions of dollars trying to send students to college and maintain them there when, on average, they read at about the grade 6 or 7 level, according to Renaissance Learning’s latest report on what American students in grades 9-12 read, whether assigned or chosen,' said education expert Dr. Sandra Stotsky. Stotsky, a Professor Emerita at the University of Arkansas, served on the Common Core Validation Committee in 2009-10, during which she called the standards “inferior.” The study also found that most high school graduates don’t do much with mathematics past eighth-grade compared to students in other high-achieving countries. In addition, the lack of “difficulty and complexity” found in high school reading material is indicative of what colleges can assign to students once they enter higher education and professors aren’t requiring incoming students read at a college level."

The average college freshman reads at 7th grade level

Questions to parents: Do you even know at what level your child reads? Is that something you discuss at parent/teacher meetings? If your kid was in high school and planning for college and you found out he or she was only reading at the 7th grade level, what would you do about it?
My take on this subject: how much time is there in a school day... and how much of that time is devoted to academics? In other words, if schools did not have to teach values, life skills, and everything else that should be taught in the home, there would be more time to focus on what schools are there for in the first place.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM

21,877 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Poverty level depends on the program and they are not all at the same percentage.
No, poverty level depends on the poverty level. Most welfare programs these days cover people above the poverty level.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:53 AM

26,758 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, yes, I've been through it with a fine tooth comb, and villageidiot is right. That so many seem to have missed it strikes me as hilariously funny, given this thread is all about critical reading ability. As usual, people in forums just want to argue what they already believe is true...
I would imagine that most people on forums are reading quickly through threads. What I took out of my--yes, brief--scanning of the document was that Accelerated Reader's database showed that the books students read inside and outside of the classroom affects their college readiness....and that the reading levels of students have fallen substantially.

I highly doubt that the "average" college student reads on a 7th grade level (although if the data includes community colleges, that might be likely) but I do see a decline in reading skills from the alternative ed high school kids I work with, so it's interesting to find out what other reasons might contribute to this.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,385,633 times
A list of the institutions and their reading selections can be found in the following link.

Of the 341 colleges surveyed, 31 were community colleges. The remainder included a variety of public and private institutions. Fifty-one ranked in the top 100 national universities.

You can find the list beginning on page 59. The document as a whole provides a window into the purpose of common reading programs and a discussion of how the books were chosen.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-24-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
I would imagine that most people on forums are reading quickly through threads. What I took out of my--yes, brief--scanning of the document was that Accelerated Reader's database showed that the books students read inside and outside of the classroom affects their college readiness....and that the reading levels of students have fallen substantially.

I highly doubt that the "average" college student reads on a 7th grade level (although if the data includes community colleges, that might be likely) but I do see a decline in reading skills from the alternative ed high school kids I work with, so it's interesting to find out what other reasons might contribute to this.
Maybe it's CD members who read at a 7th grade level! (Not meaning you!)

I didn't read the study, I just noted that "blame the parents" was in full swing on this thread.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A list of the institutions and their reading selections can be found in the following link.
That is curious. They have The Speed of Dark

Quote:
Rutgers, School of Arts and
Sciences (honors program)

The Speed of Dark

Moon, Elizabeth

Disability/Disease

Fiction

But they do not admit that it is science fiction.

Quote:
Speed of Dark is a near-future science fiction novel by American author Elizabeth Moon. The story is told from the first person viewpoint of an autistic process analyst. Wikipedia
The trouble with good SF is that it puts too much information and ideas into too small a space. College is about dribbling information out. Nothing by Asimov, Clarke or Heinlein.

psik

Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,996 times
do we need to know whose fault it is to fix the problem?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:06 AM

12,863 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
That is curious. They have The Speed of Dark

But they do not admit that it is science fiction.

The trouble with good SF is that it puts too much information and ideas into too small a space. College is about dribbling information out. Nothing by Asimov, Clarke or Heinlein.

psik

Which college did you go to? I didn't get a dribble, I got a fire hose. When you're talking SF, the problem isn't college per se. The problem is lit profs who are too focused on "great" works or political poetry. They miss all the greatness in science fiction because it has that word SCIENCE in it -- something frightening to most in the humanities education system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education