Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:00 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,328 times

Advertisements

Since it is a Catholic school, how about this policy: "the last shall be first and the first shall be last"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It IS bullying. It's even got a name - social exclusion. It's the worst kind of bullying and does the most psychological damage. This is the bullying that people kill themselves over.

Teenagers have been acting this way forever is just about the stupidest reason I've ever heard for saying a thing is OK. Teenagers text and drive, drink and drive, commit suicide, get addicted to drugs, get eating disorders, get pregnant accidentally, and a whole host of other truly not-ok things that they have been doing forever. Should we just let them keep doing those things too, seeing as how they've been doing them forever?

People evolve. Society evolves. We try to make things better. We try to stop treating each other like animals and we try to stop cruelty. People had slaves "forever" before that ended, people discriminated against certain groups "forever" before we decided that wasn't ok, men beat their wives "forever" before laws were made against it, and I could go on, but I don't need to.

Your statements are absurdly inaccurate and it scares me that someone is even out there who actually thinks this way.
You are a perfect example of the softening and complete pussification of America. Cograts on achieving that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Being picked last is now considered bullying? What is next - someone can sue an HR interviewer for bullying them because they didn't get the job?
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see that happen at some point. God forbid is someone "socially excluded" for any reason at all. Hell, they might just kill themselves over it!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Do it like the military. Line up (tall to short if you want) and count off by two's. All the one's over here, all the two's over there.
Kids learn how to outfox that system; they learn to stand two people away from their friend(s). I guess if you lined them up tall to short, that might be prevented, but my daughter hated always being the shortest. There would always be a fight, too, at the end of the line over who has to be THE shortest.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
So- my daughter started a new Catholic elementary school this year. It is a small, cliquey school. Seems to be major favoritism at work here. So...in PE- the teacher allows the students to choose teams (generally the same few kids chosen as captains). According to my daughter she is always picked last- and the captain who picks last always sighs and says "ugh. why do we have to have her?'' Now- here is the interesting part- my daughter is probably the most athletic child in the grade. She plays travel for three sports. But she is not "popular" and has been basically ignored as the new student. I am sort of in disbelief that this sort of blatant bullying/popularity contest is allowed in PE class. These are 4th graders! This seems very 1980's to me. Thoughts?
Very 1980s? What's wrong with that? People should be allowed to pick who they want to pick. If your daughter is good then they will pick her next time.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Do it like the military. Line up (tall to short if you want) and count off by two's. All the one's over here, all the two's over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Kids learn how to outfox that system; they learn to stand two people away from their friend(s).
I knew a group of kids that tried to "outfox" their gym teacher by doing that. He outfoxed them by always having that class count off by fours. Sometimes 1 and 2 would be on one team and sometimes it would be 1 and 3 or 1 and 4. So the kids never knew how the teacher would divide them up and the teams were always evenly divided.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I knew a group of kids that tried to "outfox" their gym teacher by doing that. He outfoxed them by always having that class count off by fours. Sometimes 1 and 2 would be on one team and sometimes it would be 1 and 3 or 1 and 4. So the kids never knew how the teacher would divide them up and the teams were always evenly divided.
That's a good idea!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times
Sounds classic sixth grade circa 1963 to me. But then again, girls menestrate earlier these days. It's of no consequence. She has 8 more years of social development and "seniority" ahead. Just tell her to take it in stride and do her best. She's a fourth grader - not like she's up for appointment as assistant CEO.

Shrug your shoulders, take it cool and see that she does the same.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Sounds classic sixth grade circa 1963 to me. But then again, girls menestrate earlier these days. It's of no consequence. She has 8 more years of social development ahead. Just tell her to take it in stride and do her best. She's a fourth grader - not yet up for appointment as assistant CEO.
Do you not get that this issue has NOTHING to do with athletic ability?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
it was like that in my school too, last two years i just stop going to P.E. ,took the failing grade instead

Old 04-25-2015, 08:53 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times
I hate picking teams, and dreaded it in high school since I was always picked last.

Especially when you consider young kids and preteens/teens these days, in this internet day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education