Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times

Advertisements

i would make parent pay out of pocket for the schools, like college. let them pick and pay for the good teachers, good schools, god books, and those without kids, no expense, let those that use the system pay for it. then they could see what their getting for the money. good teacher be making over 100k, bad teacher minimum wage.

make them buy the books and keep them, they own them, write in them, under line, keep for further refrence. pass a cllass move on, fail well keep taking till they pass. have student keep up with class, not class slow down for student
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:04 AM

151 posts, read 159,490 times
1. Teach people life skills like how to do taxes, how to drive, how to write a resume/cover letter, how to fix things etc...
2. Make college cheaper
3. Make homework optional
4. Give us individual showers in the locker rooms

Old 10-07-2015, 11:10 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Get rid of multiple choice exams, especially for math. No more guessing. Force all students to show their true color. Let them cry if they fail.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:50 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i would make parent pay out of pocket for the schools, like college. let them pick and pay for the good teachers, good schools, god books, and those without kids, no expense, let those that use the system pay for it. then they could see what their getting for the money. good teacher be making over 100k, bad teacher minimum wage.

make them buy the books and keep them, they own them, write in them, under line, keep for further refrence. pass a cllass move on, fail well keep taking till they pass. have student keep up with class, not class slow down for student
What would you do about the kids whose parents decide they don't want to spend their money to educate their child? Another issue with your plan is you don't know a good teacher from a bad for several years. Kids and parents may hate a teacher who is actually a good teacher while loving a teacher who stinks. Passing scores on the state tests were up 47% and 52% the two years I worked at a charter school. They dropped back to their former dismal levels after they fired me because I wasn't a good fit for the school. I was not liked but I was effective. All too often good/bad in teaching is really liked/disliked.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Here's what I'd do:

Cut back on resources spent on "gifted" kids - these kids are already gifted, they're gonna do very well in life, so why do we need to spend public monies to make their lives even more golden than they are already? Let the parents (who usually are quite well-off) pay for "enrichment" programs for these kids.

I'd take the savings from the jettisoned "gifted" programs and put them to helping the bottom 25%. And double (or triple) that again. These kids NEED help, and we should go all-out to make sure they're just as educated as anyone else. We should NOT be preparing kids for a career in fast food - that's doing them - and us, a huge disservice.

As for the school year, it should be split into two parts, one 150 days long and the other 50 or 60 days. The kids that need help would go the full 200/210 days, with the secondary portion of the school year tailored to their needs, like math or reading, so they're able to keep up with their grade level. The 150-day portion of the year would be mandatory for all students, and it should teach the same things to every child, smart or not-so-smart. The smart kids who don't need help would not be required to go the secondary portion of the school year - this would be left open to parents to do what they like with their kids - like specialized camps or just learning at home. Or perhaps this could be used for art and music, if enough money can be found.

Oh yeah, get rid of standardized testing - kids need to get an education, not learn how to take a multiple-choice test just so their school can get funding.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Here's what I'd do:

Cut back on resources spent on "gifted" kids - these kids are already gifted, they're gonna do very well in life, so why do we need to spend public monies to make their lives even more golden than they are already? Let the parents (who usually are quite well-off) pay for "enrichment" programs for these kids.

I'd take the savings from the jettisoned "gifted" programs and put them to helping the bottom 25%. And double (or triple) that again. These kids NEED help, and we should go all-out to make sure they're just as educated as anyone else. We should NOT be preparing kids for a career in fast food - that's doing them - and us, a huge disservice.

As for the school year, it should be split into two parts, one 150 days long and the other 50 or 60 days. The kids that need help would go the full 200/210 days, with the secondary portion of the school year tailored to their needs, like math or reading, so they're able to keep up with their grade level. The 150-day portion of the year would be mandatory for all students, and it should teach the same things to every child, smart or not-so-smart. The smart kids who don't need help would not be required to go the secondary portion of the school year - this would be left open to parents to do what they like with their kids - like specialized camps or just learning at home. Or perhaps this could be used for art and music, if enough money can be found.

Oh yeah, get rid of standardized testing - kids need to get an education, not learn how to take a multiple-choice test just so their school can get funding.
You're late to the game. We already did that. And as far as any honors/AP classes they are now open to all students regardless of their grades.

We have set our financial priorities in K-12 to the lower end of the skill set.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Here's what I'd do:

I totally disagree.
Why punish the gifted kids to accommodate the less advantaged???
Those disadvantaged kids & families are already draining the system....
In more ways than the educational system.....

So now- in your mind take away programs rewarding gifted students????

No way in Hell would I do that.
How much are we supposed to give to these low income people constantly reproducing?

Free food, free housing, free school lunch programs, free healthcare, free stuff at X-Mas.
Omg that's why this country is a joke.

Btw, my kids are gifted.
But they never were "well off"
I struggled & home schooled them...
I couldn't fathom the idea of them being dumbed down by public schools

Old 10-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I totally disagree.
Why punish the gifted kids to accommodate the less advantaged???
Those disadvantaged kids & families are already draining the system....
In more ways than the educational system.....

So now- in your mind take away programs rewarding gifted students????

No way in Hell would I do that.
How much are we supposed to give to these low income people constantly reproducing?

Free food, free housing, free school lunch programs, free healthcare, free stuff at X-Mas.
Omg that's why this country is a joke.

Btw, my kids are gifted.
But they never were "well off"
I struggled & home schooled them...
I couldn't fathom the idea of them being dumbed down by public schools
And exactly why do we do that? Maybe it's because they don't have the educational / life skills to support themselves as adults. I think we need to double down and do what it takes to get these kids educated so they can live middle-class lives. We've been making progress on this front, but we've got a long, long ways to go.

And when it comes to "gifted" kids, I'm going to have a serious bone to pick with the big man upstairs when I make it up there. If only a way could be found to make every child be born with a 150-IQ and a burning desire to learn. Sigh.

We're just gonna have to do this the hard way, and if it stiffs the tiny 1% at the top, I think that's a small price to pay for a much more equitable society.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're late to the game. We already did that. And as far as any honors/AP classes they are now open to all students regardless of their grades.

We have set our financial priorities in K-12 to the lower end of the skill set.
And that's a good thing. We're just getting started - this is a generations-long project we're embarking on here.

Sorry this offends those with "gifted" kids - but it's for the best. It really is.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
And that's a good thing. We're just getting started - this is a generations-long project we're embarking on here.

Sorry this offends those with "gifted" kids - but it's for the best. It really is.
Putting a failing kid in an AP class is a "good thing" ?

Sorry to rain on your parade here but putting a failing kid in an AP class just drags down the AP class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education