Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

so.. hmm.. I'm a junior and I took my SAT on May 2nd. My bf told me about that the scores are here! "I was oh crap!". So as I look ,it says (math 290, reading 270, writing 280)... I mean I understand the reading part was bad because I have a bad reading skill, and I have ARDS meetings , but I'm passing all my classes with A's and B's my GPA is 2.77. My monitor said I'm doing good as an regular average student, even though I'm struggling with reading, but I'm getting up there for my skill level. I'm taking English AP, because even though my reading level is low, I still love reading books (chapter books with no pictures.. humor) I still want to challenge myself so my record looks good for a scholarship. Since I'm in ROTC program and that I'm on the varsity team, and that I'm enlisted for Marines branch. Do you think I should worry about my scores and just take ?(again because this is my first time taking a SAT test).....Help me please!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 02:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,559,574 times
Did you study for them? SAT's are as much about test taking strategies and skills as they are about knowledge. There are numerous books and on-line classes available as well as places you can go and tutors you can hire. https://sat.collegeboard.org/practice

Good luck!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,942,383 times
Are you sure those scores are correct?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:49 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,564,111 times
I would take it again of those scores are correct.

National Average on the new SAT is 1500. You scored 840.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:26 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,679,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightward97 View Post
Since I'm in ROTC program and that I'm on the varsity team, and that I'm enlisted for Marines branch. Do you think I should worry about my scores and just take ?(again because this is my first time taking a SAT test).....Help me please!!
Do you mean JROTC or are you planning to go to college and then becoming a Marine officer? If you just plan to enlist in the Marines right after high school, I would worry more about doing well on the ASVAB.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,283,230 times
Are those the scores you get for putting your name on it?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,123 times
Default Free SAT Resources to Help You Study

Often times, your school curriculum doesn't really prepare you for the types of questions on the SAT -- Hopefully your higher grades will mean that you can study and raise your scores fairly quickly -- I wouldn't give up! I would try studying for the SAT, the way that you would a test or final. Figure out what's on the test. Study the areas you don't know. Take a practice test. Repeat.

Here are some free resources to help you get started:

Kahn Academy has free SAT prep for all three subjects. After you work through practice problems, I could recommend taking a practice test to assess your progress.

TooBusyToday also mentioned College Board and I'd totally recommend the free collegeboard resources also. The Collegeboard creates the SATs, so all their questions are actual SAT questions (ie. really good practice).

Good luck!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-25-2015 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: removed inactive links

Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,599 times
Hon, you definitely need to take the SAT again, and maybe try the ACT. Those scores are very, very low. There are lots of online helps and study guides for both tests, many which are listed in above posts. I am concerned that your school is not truly preparing you for the next steps in education. The A & B average grades do not match up with your SAT score. It is a bit perplexing that you can keep up (with an A or B) in AP English with those scores.

I am glad to hear you are trying to challenge yourself with a difficult class even though you struggle with reading. I truly wish you every good thing in your future :-)

Old 05-22-2015, 04:39 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,860 times
If your grades are As and Bs your GPA should not be a 2.77. The means you have Bs and Cs. Are the higher grades more recent?

Also, I will second those that say not every high school has a curriculum that matches up with the SAT. This is why college savvy parents jockey to get thier kids in "good" high schools. A high school following a college prep curriculum would have made sure you covered all the material you needed by spring of junior year.

You need to sign up for one of those online test prep things that lets you take a practice tests and beaks down the score by area, letting you know presicely what you have to work on. Be prepared to teach yourself A LOT. Check out Khan Academy, etc for subject areas you are missing. Buy a SAT prep book that gives test taking strategies. Spend all summer studying and taking practice tests then retake it in the fall. Also consider taking the ACT. Hopefully you can get your score up to something manageable.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,563,727 times
If you have ARD's, then you are receiving some Special Ed services. What type of accommodations/modifications are you getting? They may explain some of the discrepancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education