Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

I don't have a degree, but I'm in a position where most people assume I do. Back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I started working, there was something called secretarial school, in which you got training that got you into good companies. From there you could work your way up. Now you need a degree to be a secretary, which isn't called a secretary anymore.

I have not had anyone look down on me. Usually they are surprised if it is revealed that I don't have my degree. Now that I'd like to retire and work somewhere else, it's a problem because no one will even look at a resume without a degree. Something I have figure out how to work around.

We did have a woman in the office--nice person--but she had her Master's and was annoyed that another woman, who like me had worked her way up without a degree, was made her supervisor. However, the person with the degree wasn't moving up because for reasons the rest of us can't figure out, it takes her twice as long to do the same work, her priorities are sometimes not what management's priorities are, and she doesn't seem to understand or grasp the importance of the political influences that create those priorities, and when she's reprimanded for missing a deadline, she seems confused as to why that's a problem and launches into stories of why she didn't make the deadline. Most of those stories are, "But I was working on this other <unimportant> thing over here." Or "I was catching up on organizing my files."

Having a Master's in this case really doesn't help. Education doesn't fix on-the-job deficiencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Takes an ignorant person to say that "X group of people are dumb"
Doesn't matter if they are educated, uneducated, conservative, liberal, etc.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
A statistics course (from Formal Education) would have taught you that 1 in a million is no explanation for something.
Except this isn't some odd anomaly. Hell my uncle has a successful business and not a single piece of paper, pretty sure he's a millionaire or if not very close to it.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:25 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I have a vast variety of knowledge in many fields yet I don't have a college degree (though I have dabbled in community college), and it annoys me when people assume I'm uneducated or lack skills.
To some degree (no pun intended).
But what irks me more: individuals who have the idea distance education either isn't as good as attending a brick-and-mortar school, or doesn't count at all. Seems weird to me, as it's becoming more and more popular, and it's offered by many "traditional" colleges/universities.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:32 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Well, it is not like an engineering major is expected to kick back and discuss the finer points of Homer, in Greek.

I believe it to be more common for a degree holder to look down on other degrees, or certain degrees, or certain schools and so on. I have yet to meet someone with a college degree who looked down upon those without but one thing is for sure; City-Data is full of people who claim to have never earned a college degree and boy do some sure have strong opinions of those who do.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Except this isn't some odd anomaly. Hell my uncle has a successful business and not a single piece of paper, pretty sure he's a millionaire or if not very close to it.
It is not hard to be a millionaire today. With houses costing $1/2 mil or more, there's a good chunk of it right there.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:49 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It is not hard to be a millionaire today. With houses costing $1/2 mil or more, there's a good chunk of it right there.
Wow, really? If you have a $1/2 million house and you owe $1/2 million that's a zero-dollar asset. Also, there's a difference between net worth and liquid assets.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:51 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
But what irks me more: individuals who have the idea distance education either isn't as good as attending a brick-and-mortar school, or doesn't count at all. Seems weird to me, as it's becoming more and more popular, and it's offered by many "traditional" colleges/universities.
Oh sure, no pun
So, do you mean "certain" people don't believe one can obtain a degree attending an online university, because there are some that are accredited and some that aren't. There has to be a large enough group of people to ascertain which online university gets the green light to be accredited or not. Not sure what the standards of measure are in that regard.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:22 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post

Have you taken an online class? I don't think that you learn as much taking classes 100% online as you do in a classroom. A large part of a college education is the exchange of ideas and information from both the professors and the fellow students. That is much more difficult to accomplish via the Internet. That said, if it's either online or no college, I guess it's better than nothing.

----

Having attained my degree late in life, I have seen both sides. I know what it's like to have people look down upon those that do not have a degree. I have also been that person without a degree that looks down upon those who have attained a degree. In the latter instance, it was not only jealousy but a defense mechanism.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Wow, really? If you have a $1/2 million house and you owe $1/2 million that's a zero-dollar asset. Also, there's a difference between net worth and liquid assets.
His point was a millionaire isnt the same thing it was back when. Today a conservatively invested million will give you about 50k before taxes. Thats not a big deal when compared to millionaires back 50 years ago due to inflation. 50k would provide you with a healthy retirement assuming all debts are paid off, but you wont be enjoying your summer home and a yacht...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education