Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:43 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times

Advertisements

I have a vast variety of knowledge in many fields yet I don't have a college degree (though I have dabbled in community college), and it annoys me when people assume I'm uneducated or lack skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
And what are you doing to overcome being annoyed?

IMHO, the things you mention - knowledge, education and skills - are quite different. You can have much knowledge AND be uneducated, for example. I know skilled people that lack knowledge, etc.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
I am well educated, but I employ people without degrees and don't have any preconceived notions. The only people I have a problem with is people without degrees, who for whatever reason, nitpick people who have them. Respect is a two way street and all of that.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,071 times
No, I encounter too many dummies with degrees.

I find this video amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wk4qG2mIg

I could have explained the seasons when I was in grade school, but not because it was taught at my school. It is as though our schools are designed to maintain controlled ignorance and kill curiosity. So many people with degrees are actually boring.

psik

Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
No college degree. The education I received that helped me to get my job came from my 8 years in the Navy working in the engine room of a steam driven ship. Now work at a hospital's boiler room. On nights and weekends there is only one of us to cover the whole hospital. We're responsible for the entire hospital's HVAC, medical gas, water, fire alarm, elevators, and first responders for non-medical emergencies (fire, flooding, elevator entrapment, etc). Lot of responsibility for one person to cover an entire 10 floor hospital with 5 wings and surrounding buildings owned by the hospital. I've had a nurse tell me she's responsible for 5 patients. I told her I'm responsible for 5 buildings including the main hospital and yes, people can potentially die if I did my job wrong or not at all.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,969 times
I don't think most college-educated people do this. At least, it hasn't been my experience. I do see a lot of people who suffer from a lack of self-confidence because they don't have a degree "I'm not likely to get a better job/make more money because I never finished college." This for people who having years of experience in their non-technical field, so it really doesn't matter as much as they think.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
My husband has no degree (he started at UCI, but did not graduate), but he is highly skilled, owns a small business, and we're doing quite well in the very high COL area of Orange County, CA. No one ever assumes that he lacks skills. I suppose there are a few who might look down on him for being "undereducated," but I wouldn't know who they are because no one has ever said anything like that. Yes, if that happened it would be very annoying.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
What is your definition of "educated?"

Is it different than "vocationally trained?" or "have obtained hands-on professionally relevant experience?"

To some, "education" is synonymous with having completed a prescribed course of academic study.

"Uneducated" and "lacking skills" are two different things.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I am well educated, but I employ people without degrees and don't have any preconceived notions. The only people I have a problem with is people without degrees, who for whatever reason, nitpick people who have them. Respect is a two way street and all of that.
Agreed! I work with a woman who constantly does that. And you know what? She's not real bright.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
People confuse formal education with intelligence. I know many people who don't have degrees who are extremely intelligent.

My general take is this:

In order to obtain a degree you must have a reasonable level of intelligence (which can be well above average or even possibly a bit below in some cases, within the exception of some fields that demand super high IQs like medicine, physics, etc. Someone who isn't super intelligent will just have to work much harder for a degree.

But there's absolutely no requirement that a person with a reasonable or even exceptional (genius level) intelligence possess a degree.

Being educated and intelligent often correlate with one another, but not always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education