Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:15 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,577 times

Advertisements

I have one at a Catholic high school and one at a larger public high school. We live in suburban Wisconsin. I would say that around a third of the students at both high schools take alegbra 2 as sophomores, while the remainder take it as juniors. There are also a handful who take it as freshmen, although they are definitely in the minority.

Standard track is algebra 1 as a freshman, geometry as a sophomore, algebra 2 as a junior, and precalculus as a senior. That's how it was when I was in high school, too.

99%+ of the students at my son's high school (the private one) attend a four-year college, regardless of the math "track" they were one. At my daughter's high school, that number is obviously less, but the vast majority of students who take pre-calculus attend college, some even pursuing STEM fields. Many even attend college with just algebra 2. It's not that uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:04 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
This is what I've always been told is the generic college track math curriculum. You can switch calculus for AP Stats for students who are not going STEM (who are thinking they might be psychology or sociology or something along those lines). But generally, it's Algebra by the 8th grade and then follow the sequence to Calculus in senior year.
I graduated in 99. I too AP calc to be precise. Some took AP Stats. Generally, the middling kids finished with Trig. Now, in saying that, the minimum to graduate was Geometry.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,158 times
So I'm in 9th grade and im just wondering is it good im taking alegrba II already?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,158 times
Post quick reply needed

So I'm in 9th grade is it good im taking alegrba II already?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good student View Post
So I'm in 9th grade is it good im taking alegrba II already?
Yes. It puts you on a solid track for college, especially selective ones if you keep good grades and make it to calculus.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
This is a two year old thread about what grade level someone should put on their student teacher application. I believe the OP has resolved his/her problem by now.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:06 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good student View Post
So I'm in 9th grade and im just wondering is it good im taking alegrba II already?
How did you get into Algebra 2 already, in 9th grade?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How did you get into Algebra 2 already, in 9th grade?
My son did Algebra II/Trig in 9th grade back in the 80s because he was in the advanced math course - Algebra I honors in 7th grade and Geometry honors (1st period bused to the high school and returned to jr. high for 2nd period) in 8th grade. That meant he could take Agebra II/Trig in 9th grade.

My dd was a year behind that taking Algebra I honors in 8th grade and Geometry honors in 9th grade and then Algebra II/Trig in 10th grade.

The regular sequence (even honors) did Algebra I (either honors or regular) in 9th grade, Geometry (either honors or regular) in 10th grade and Algebra II/Trig (either honors or regular) in 11th grade.

They then could take either Precalculus or Calculus the following year depending on how advanced they were. AP Calculus had AB and BC tracks and did not require PreCalculus as a prerequisite.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:25 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My son did Algebra II/Trig in 9th grade back in the 80s because he was in the advanced math course - Algebra I honors in 7th grade and Geometry honors (1st period bused to the high school and returned to jr. high for 2nd period) in 8th grade. That meant he could take Agebra II/Trig in 9th grade.

My dd was a year behind that taking Algebra I honors in 8th grade and Geometry honors in 9th grade and then Algebra II/Trig in 10th grade.

The regular sequence (even honors) did Algebra I (either honors or regular) in 9th grade, Geometry (either honors or regular) in 10th grade and Algebra II/Trig (either honors or regular) in 11th grade.

They then could take either Precalculus or Calculus the following year depending on how advanced they were. AP Calculus had AB and BC tracks and did not require PreCalculus as a prerequisite.
Ah, thank you. The "regular sequence" is what I'm familiar with. It's great that some kids really love math, though, and can jump ahead! Why don't those kids ever factor into those international academic rankings?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ah, thank you. The "regular sequence" is what I'm familiar with. It's great that some kids really love math, though, and can jump ahead! Why don't those kids ever factor into those international academic rankings?
They do, but since they are a minority of those who take the tests and they are not separated out, the scores reflect averages.

Each district and school is different in the way they do this. My granddaughter will take Algebra II/Trig as a 10th grader, but she could have taken it as a 9th grader if she had doubled up Geometry and Algebra II which some of her friends did, but she did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education