Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,025 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts? Religious arguments aside, I thought a key purpose of attending university, especially one with the prestige of Duke, was to open your mind to new perspectives.

What do you think Duke should to in this instance? Simply give Fs to those who did not participate?

http://wgntv.com/2015/08/24/duke-uni...nti-christian/

MOD EDIT: Since many people seem to read only the first post and then comment, I'm adding in more info here. The book in question, Fun Home, was a book for all freshman to read and discuss when they first arrived at college: https://studentaffairs.duke.edu/new-...mon-experience Many colleges do this. It is not part of a class.

From the aforementioned link:
Quote:
The Duke Common Experience Program is designed to give incoming students a shared intellectual experience with other members of their class, with the summer reading choice as a key focal point. During orientation welcome week activities, students will discuss the book in small groups and as a larger community as part of their evening at the Durham Performing Arts Center.
a bit more,
Quote:
“I think it will be a great vehicle for conversations among the incoming class about art and storytelling; about personal and sexual identities; about truth and lies, and the harm both can cause; and about judgment and forgiveness,” said selection committee member Simon Partner, a professor of history and director of the Asian/Pacific Studies Institute at Duke.

“Because of its treatment of sexual identity, the book is likely to be controversial among students, parents and alumni. I think this, in turn, will stimulate interesting and useful discussion about what it means, as a young adult, to take a position on a controversial topic,” he added.
The book is a graphic novel, not graphic as in sexual, graphic as in line drawn. I understand the drawings are not especially racy. http://www.amazon.com/Fun-Home-Tragi...words=fun+home

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-26-2015 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 04:17 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,308,373 times
A link would be helpful for the masses who have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
A link would be helpful for the masses who have no idea what you are talking about.
Sorry, I hit send before pasting the link. It's in there now.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Assignments generally aren't optional. Don't do the assignment, take your lumps. *shrug* Also, I don't EVER recall being consulted on the curriculum choices my professors made, at either the undergraduate or graduate level. If they had, I'd surely have chosen less costly textbooks, hah.

At any rate, reading a book doesn't really require you to "compromise your moral beliefs."

Old 08-24-2015, 04:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
The world has gotten too PC and everyone now is a dainty snowflake that must be treated with kid gloves because they are "special".

It's a book for crying out loud. Read it and comment on it.
Not like they are forcing the students to actually become gay (at least not yet )

Old 08-24-2015, 04:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The world has gotten too PC and everyone now is a dainty snowflake that must be treated with kid gloves because they are "special".

It's a book for crying out loud. Read it and comment on it.
Not like they are forcing the students to actually become gay (at least not yet )
I agree. Students should also be open to reading The Book of Genesis, from The Old Testament and The Book of Revelation, from The New Testament.

"It's a book for crying out loud."

Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I agree. Students should also be open to reading The Book of Genesis, from The Old Testament and The Book of Revelation, from The New Testament.

"It's a book for crying out loud."
I know you are being sarcastic, but if those books are relevant to the class in which they are being assigned, I don't see why students reading them would be a problem.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
I'm a Christian. I think all of those students should get a big fat "F." Books are about learning and becoming educated. Gay people aren't going anywhere. At least read the book to find some human common ground.

Seriously, all types of books feature characters that are murderers, liars, thieves, adulterers, etc. Heck, that describes a good portion of the Bible. Are they going to refuse to read most literature because the characters aren't perfect?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm a Christian. I think all of those students should get a big fat "F." Books are about learning and becoming educated. Gay people aren't going anywhere. At least read the book to find some human common ground.

Seriously, all types of books feature characters that are murderers, liars, thieves, adulterers, etc. Heck, that describes a good portion of the Bible. Are they going to refuse to read most literature because the characters aren't perfect?
You do realize, don't you, that no small part of the problem for these students is that Fun Home is a graphic novel? It is one thing to ask students to read the viewpoint of others but quite another to put them in a position where they must view pictures that they deem offensive.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You do realize, don't you, that no small part of the problem for these students is that Fun Home is a graphic novel? It is one thing to ask students to read the viewpoint of others but quite another to put them in a position where they must view pictures that they deem offensive.
If the photos are in the book, they can skip over those. Also, in life, we are bombarded with stuff we deem offensive.

I'm quite offended by all the racists on C-D. I still hang around and post.

I'm okay that the students don't want to read the book. That's their choice. In life, our choices have consequences. I'm sure they'll gladly take the "F." I would if I felt that strongly about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education