Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:50 PM

19,148 posts, read 25,375,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We need a bigger market for limited-capability cell phones for adolescents.

Absolutely!
Because we have limited-capacity adolescents, somebody should be manufacturing cell phones for those particular teenagers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,361,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
The Sun

in your opinion , did the school make the right call?
My POV:

Combine both points:
a) 'no smoking' is the school's rule, and
b) it's a sensible rule.

So the real problem isn't whether or not the teen should smoke, but what he's essentially hearing from his mother: 'There are rules- but you don't have to follow them.'
Not a good start in life for a kid.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:12 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,726,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We need a bigger market for limited-capability cell phones for adolescents.
Sure, but do you think parents will buy their little snowflakes a limited phone. Most of my students have the latest and greatest $700 iPhone.

I can understand high schoolers having a phone. They drive and often have activities outside of school, so may need to call home. However, a middle schooler or younger has no need for a phone. They need an adult to transport them and very rarely go places without adult supervision, so I just don't see the need for a phone.

I'm in my 20s and I didn't get a cell phone until my senior year of high school.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Kearsley Academy is a fully private school in the United Kingdom, receiving little or no public funding. . The parents, who pay tuition fees for their children, do so under contract that (probably) gives the school administration wide latitude to impose limitations and restrictions on the students classroom and on-campus behavior.

If any litigation comes out of this, it will most likely be the school suing the mother for defamation. But there has apparently been none, it (like nearly all Sun stories) is little more than a media stunt foisted off on a gullible readership. This story could have just as easily been in The Onion.

This thing is so bad, it makes a travesty of an online discussion forum, which is saying something.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Kearsley Academy is a fully private school in the United Kingdom, receiving little or no public funding. . The parents, who pay tuition fees for their children, do so under contract that (probably) authorizes the school administration to impose limitations and restrictions on the students classroom behavior.
Where did you see it Private School, From there website its attached to the local government council, So it would get UK Government funding.

From what I understand, the Upper Grades (US Type) 6th thru 12th are open Enrollment to many different "Academies"

Old 09-29-2015, 11:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Where did you see it Private School, From there website its attached to the local government council, So it would get UK Government funding.

From what I understand, the Upper Grades (US Type) 6th thru 12th are open Enrollment to many different "Academies"
It's still a bunk story. Is every crank letter from an angry parent to a school administrator anywhee in the world worthy of a story in the tabloids, and discussion on internet forums? And it's still in England, where the outrage of American posters is not germane, personal sense of justified global hegemony aside..

When I was in elementary school, boys played marbles as soon as the snow melted, and took them to school in their pockets. The teacher confiscated marbles that were dropped on the floor in the classroom, which which was frequent. (I lost some of mine.) Where was The Sun Online to run a pictorial feature on a boy having his marbles taken away? Where was the outrage from the American Civil Liberties Union and the House Un-American Activities Committee and UNESCO?

Last edited by jtur88; 09-29-2015 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 03:19 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,810,296 times
Yes the school was right. There a a lot of people who believe the chemicals in the vapors can be harmful to others. Here in California they are working to get them treated the same as regular cigarettes.

Senate Passes Bill Protecting Public Against Exposure to E-Cigarettes | Senator Mark Leno

I have a co-worker who has started using these things. He was doing it in the office. I had headaches every day for weeks, but didn't realize that might be why until he stopped doing it inside and my headaches went away. Now he is doing it all the time. I'm talking he takes a break every 10 minutes. Before he smoked maybe one cigarette an hour or less. These things make the nicotine addiction worse if you ask me.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,361,917 times
Quote:
It's still a bunk story. Is every crank letter from an angry parent to a school administrator anywhee in the world worthy of a story in the tabloids, and discussion on internet forums? And it's still in England, where the outrage of American posters is not germane, personal sense of justified global hegemony aside..

When I was in elementary school, boys played marbles as soon as the snow melted, and took them to school in their pockets. The teacher confiscated marbles that were dropped on the floor in the classroom, which which was frequent. (I lost some of mine.) Where was The Sun Online to run a pictorial feature on a boy having his marbles taken away? Where was the outrage from the American Civil Liberties Union and the House Un-American Activities Committee and UNESCO?
I think the story is only one example of how more and more people these days can't seem to grasp there's a huge difference between someone standing his/her ground when they feel a law/rule/policy is truly unjust, and 'waaa waaa I didn't get my own way!'

Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Indeed. The school confiscated a student's cigarettes (e- or otherwise)? The only reason this becomes a story is because the Internet has no space limitations the way a page of newsprint has.

Back in the late 80s, a news producer of a 24/7 news station said to me, "BS is better than static."

Old 10-02-2015, 12:35 PM

919 posts, read 1,692,410 times
Yes they did the right thing. He is 14. I understand that he started smoking at 11 but that should have been handled at that point and not when the kid was going through 10 a day. "After Mason’s habit reached ten a day she steered him on to e-cigs over the summer holidays to try to help him stop."

Why not go through the steps that other addicts go through? Why not try a patch? I think it's ridiculous for the mom to expect the school to stand by this. It's a health hazard to those around him as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education