Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Really that's surprising? I think that may have something to do with how you were taught...not because you are not "great at math". I mean most people are...what, 12 in 7th grade? Surely there are lots of opportunities to practice and expand on that level of knowledge.

I was sort of miffed I had to take an entrance exam to enroll in CC because my SAT scores were so old. I was pretty shocked that I got 100% on an algebra exam that didn't allow a calculator. And I hadn't take a math class in ages. But I owe that mainly to some superb teachers; including a college professor who taught us to "get over our math fear already". He was also very handsome (think "Mr. McSteamy)...but I digress. Then I had a crush on a guy that thinks math is the most amazing thing since sliced bread (actually, I think I still have that crush!).

As far as remembering, math is sort of like a language; practice makes perfect, but if you have used the language in a variety of situations, then it sticks a bit more.

So anyway, my point is that math shouldn't be seen as a drag...like everyone sees it as. It's interesting...including fractions. We should be asking for more, more, more! Ironically enough, I'm also in accounting, and I love the daily "math interaction" on the job.
I don’t know. I don’t see where I’ve had opportunities to expand much on fractions. If I need to figure out three quarters of something, I automatically multiply it by .75, and that’s not even complex. Maybe I’m being short-sighted here, but I really don’t think I use actual fractions much in every day life, other than in cooking, as mentioned in the article. I guess my point is, sure, I could expand on my level of knowledge of fractions, but if I can use decimals, or a calculator for that matter, why would I do this unless fractions really interest me? That’s probably another reason I forgot how to do it…it just doesn’t interest me. I don’t think how I was taught really had anything to do with it.

And another thing...I spent $500 on a class that was re-teaching me how to calculate fractions. Granted, the whole class wasn't about fractions, but who wants to pay for something they don't need? That kind of math I can do easily. Maybe fractions should be saved for higher learning in areas the professor was speaking of. I personally don't plan on going any farther in math education than I have to.

I never had a cute math teacher…LOL Thinking back…yeah, not even close!

I don’t think everyone sees math as a drag, but like anything else, you’ll do better if you like it. I’m a spelling freak myself. Spelling comes easy to me. Math, I do not have a natural aptitude for. I was kind of eased into accounting from working in customer service at a bank years ago. Don’t love the daily math and am happy that the position I have now has a technical side to it as well. I’m slowly finding my way out of accounting and I like that.

Last edited by wannabeaTexan; 01-31-2008 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Had a couple more thoughts I wanted to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I hope they don't stop teaching something like this! Cooks use fractions in recipes all the time! I was trying to half a recipe the other day and I had to figure out what half of 3/4 was. At 36, I had a hard time remembering how to do it. I looked it up on Google so I'd know next time. I never liked math but our kids need to learn basic stuff like this. Now algebra, I don't use. Never saw the use of substituting letters for numbers and all that. I took it and got through it and for some it probably is useful. Basic math definitely needs to be taught!
I was thinking the same thing regarding cooking.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
Fractions make advanced math ten times easier than it would be otherwise, and it's not like they're that hard to begin with.

Seriously, what's so hard about fractions that we have to do away with fractional exponents, without which we don't have calculus, or polynomials, without which we don't have algebra?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:28 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,555 times
I really really really encourage someone to ATTEMPT calculus proofs without knowing fractions.

You kinda need to know the whole 'divide by 0' issue. Likelihood that you'll face that if you don't touch fractions? Slim.

However, multiplying and dividing fractions and such is not as essential as it used to be, and as someone said, .75=3/4, and multiplying with decimals is a lot easier than using fractions for some. So, you could step either way. Decimals to Fractions or back. Personally, decimals are easier, because it makes putting them into the calculator easier.

I can see SOME validity to his belief that fractions should be taught later, but I bet to best understand them, you need to teach them along with decimals, so you really understand that they're the same thing.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:10 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
I sew and quilt extensively. I ask for 1 1/3 yards of fabric, which is something a person at Joann's will understand. Fractions are an integral part of cutting out triangles and providing allowances in quilting. Not saying that fractions are that important, but any quilter will tell you that not knowing fractions is a severe handicap in this art. Decimals are klunky because you have to use rulers, marked in 1/16" increments at the most, and most if not all sewing machines use fractions in any of its guides.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I sew and quilt extensively. I ask for 1 1/3 yards of fabric, which is something a person at Joann's will understand. Fractions are an integral part of cutting out triangles and providing allowances in quilting. Not saying that fractions are that important, but any quilter will tell you that not knowing fractions is a severe handicap in this art. Decimals are klunky because you have to use rulers, marked in 1/16" increments at the most, and most if not all sewing machines use fractions in any of its guides.
If we switch to the metric system, those fractions wouldn't be necessary.

Or you can ask for 4 feet.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I've always found fractions MUCH easier than decimals. I never quite understood why fractions were supposed to be this horrible thing that all schoolchildren should fear!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,122 times
I'm in the camp that converts to decimal rather than use fractions. I do see the concepts used in working with fractions as being useful but I don't see why we bother with clunky fractions in most endeavors. The article mentions baking and carpentry as two activities people say we "need" fractions. Those would be much better served with decimals.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,479 times
Fractions and decimals are the same thing in slightly different forms.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Fractions and decimals are the same thing in slightly different forms.
Which is why there is a discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education