Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable!

CUNY's got math problem: Report shows many freshmen from city HS fail at basic algebra

Thats just so sad.

But I bet they all know how to put condoms on bananas! Yep, learning what is really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Unbelievable!

CUNY's got math problem: Report shows many freshmen from city HS fail at basic algebra

Thats just so sad.

But I bet they all know how to put condoms on bananas! Yep, learning what is really important.
Just because some districts are bad does not mean they all are.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I wish we would collectively stop saying that public schools failed these kids (and not all public schools fail all kids, by the way) and say that society as a whole failed these kids. School is just one part of the equation, and if the kids aren't getting what they need in the other parts of their lives schools, even the best funded, can only do so much. Not that there isn't room for improvement.

Not to sound flippant, but I'd also say that knowing how to use a condom is probably a far more important skill for many people than is algebra. (although of course it's not an either/or sort of thing; it is possible to know how to do both)

Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I wish we would collectively stop saying that public schools failed these kids (and not all public schools fail all kids, by the way) and say that society as a whole failed these kids. School is just one part of the equation, and if the kids aren't getting what they need in the other parts of their lives schools, even the best funded, can only do so much. Not that there isn't room for improvement.

Not to sound flippant, but I'd also say that knowing how to use a condom is probably a far more important skill for many people than is algebra. (although of course it's not an either/or sort of thing; it is possible to know how to do both)
Problem is WE ARE doing are part! We pay taxes don't we!? I DO NOT trust ANYONE who trys to shift or spread the blame around, who REFUSE to take ownership. As a country, our education SUCKS. Even the "good" districts are underpreforming compared to other countries.

As one person pointed out someplace, sex, condoms, and sex ed in general is using outdated sources to teach from. An intact male will most likely not be properly taught how to use the condom, regardless of the fact that circumcision is about 50/50 now. Bring home a crying baby doll courses were required at my neices schools....for all females...not males though. Seriously, there is a lot lacking in sex ed.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
IMO the Federal government intrusion into education watered down standards in the name of equality.
Lower the bar and more graduate but what is the quality of those graduates ?

Take a look at Community College offerings..this where you see page after page of "developmental" Math and English classes. These are high school level classes to help the students acquire the skills they should already have so they can take college level classes.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
I really don't see what the big deal about highschool freshmen not knowing algebra is. My school didn't even offer algebra till freshman year, geometry and algebra 2 sophomore years, calc and trig(?) junior and senior.. It really doesn't matter if freshman don't know it. I bet if they were to poll seniors they'd find out they know plenty of algebra and beyond.

That being said, I do think its a shame that they graduate kids who've taken four years of basic mathematics.. I think at least algebra2 should be required in highschool(I think algebra2 equals out to about college level algebra..)

Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Just because some districts are bad does not mean they all are.
You've obviously never taught at a public school.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I really don't see what the big deal about highschool freshmen not knowing algebra is. My school didn't even offer algebra till freshman year, geometry and algebra 2 sophomore years, calc and trig(?) junior and senior.. It really doesn't matter if freshman don't know it. I bet if they were to poll seniors they'd find out they know plenty of algebra and beyond.

That being said, I do think its a shame that they graduate kids who've taken four years of basic mathematics.. I think at least algebra2 should be required in highschool(I think algebra2 equals out to about college level algebra..)
I think you missed a part. These are college freshman not knowing basic algebra from high school.

Algebra is the foundation math for all the subsequent math classes.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:34 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Problem is WE ARE doing are part! We pay taxes don't we!? I DO NOT trust ANYONE who trys to shift or spread the blame around, who REFUSE to take ownership. As a country, our education SUCKS. Even the "good" districts are underpreforming compared to other countries.
Of COURSE it's fair to spread the blame around. Schools are only one part of a whole, and taxes are certainly not fair and uniformly spread around. Public schools also aren't equally all bad or all bad; there are immense differences in the quality of public schools found around the country, and at least some of that is due to funding. Unfortunately the schools in the poorest areas usually have the greatest needs but often don't have the funding necessary to tackle the immense problems that come with the territory. Schools can only do so much, as they only get to have the kids for part of their lives. Sure, they try to take on additional roles through offering breakfast and lunch programs, sometimes having a health clinic on site, etc., but if they start doing too much then some people start complaining about getting back to the "basics" and not wanting to pay for "unnecessary" social services. Kids need food, safe housing, safe neighborhoods, supportive parents, and some vision for the future. They obviously need good teachers, adequate school supplies, and other things, too, and we need to provide that, but we can't expect our public school system by itself to magically solve all of the problems. They have an essential role to play, but it's not shifting the blame to say that we need to look at the big picture if we want to actually make progress, and not just have scapegoat so we can play "bash the schools", which seems to be usually done with some personal or political agenda in mind, rather than out of actual concern for the kids who need our help.

How can a school or teacher be expected to solve all of a child's problems if that kid isn't getting what he or she needs at home? If that child comes to school at age five or six and has never held a book?

And no, the good districts are not underperforming. America's top public school students can hold their own on the international front.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:18 AM

305 posts, read 539,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
You've obviously never taught at a public school.

Obviously neither have you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education