Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,732,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't agree. There are plenty of teachers in that school who live in other towns and send their kids to the local public schools. Frankly, if this woman is rejecting the school system and public education for her kids yet makes a living off of public ed, then why should I believe she is genuine in her role?
I guess you don't really have to believe anything about her that you don't want to, but this is a strange statement. Why should she have to send her kids to what she feels is obviously not the best school for her children so that you feel she's more "genuine in her role"?

Old 11-15-2015, 02:52 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Curious what people's thoughts are. Normally, I don't care where you send your kids to school as long as you don't bash other people's schools. But the other day, I was reading about my son's former elementary school gym teacher who was promoted to the principal job. The school is in a city with a beat up reputation and the school system get slammed by a lot of people...usually people who have no involvement in the school. Like anything, it's never as bad as people think. Anyway, I learned that she sends her kids to private schools in the city. To me, it was kind of weird learning that. I seriously wondered if she didn't believe in her work. Worse, it sounded like she was perfectly fine collecting a paycheck working with city kids (including mine), but didn't want her own kids around them. Yes I'm totally judging, but it just sounds wrong. Curious what other people think.
The bolded. Public school teachers, more so than most people, know that how "good" or "bad" a school is depends on the children attending the school and their parents. They are also well aware of how powerful the need to fit in with peers or peer pressure can be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I'm Not a teacher (but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express once), I've worked for companies, where I honesty did not like there products, But my job was to work there, Server the needs of the company.

I don't have a problem with a teacher putting there kids in a Private school, The overall school and the education the district provides may not be good enough. but if you can not get good teachers it will never improve.

If you require the teacher to put there kids in that system, the Teachers will look what good for there family, not take the job in a struggling district, and get a job in a "Safe/Good" district. And overtime the struggling distinct will get worse, and worse since they can not get good teachers to teach there.
Absolutely. The truth is that your better teachers are at the public schools, and they need to be. The average private school student doesn't "need" as good of a teacher, they can often learn provided they are given the curriculum, books, and materials that give the information they need. Their parents will help them if they run into problems understanding something. In public schools, too often if the teacher doesn't cover it in a way the child can completely grasp, they will never learn it.

I would like to add, depending on the teacher and the student body, some teacher's kids get bullied or ostracized in retaliation for their parent's actions. I never worked at the school one of my children attended, although I did often work in the same district.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times
When you added that she sends the kids to Catholic school, I would think then that she wants them to have Catholic religious education that they would not get in a public school. If she was sending them to a secular private school, I think you would have more of a point.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:22 PM

107 posts, read 119,067 times
This is like saying if you work for the city, you should be required to live in the city. I am pretty sure it was Detroit where groups of firemen rented a big house so they could use the address. That was before it went totally belly up.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:27 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
This is like saying if you work for the city, you should be required to live in the city. I am pretty sure it was Detroit where groups of firemen rented a big house so they could use the address. That was before it went totally belly up.

Some cities/jurisdictions do require public employees to live within the jurisdiction. Others will pull perks like a take home vehicle (this is mostly law enforcement) if they don't live in lt.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:45 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,626,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some cities/jurisdictions do require public employees to live within the jurisdiction. Others will pull perks like a take home vehicle (this is mostly law enforcement) if they don't live in lt.

I never knew that. That explains the neighbor I worried would get in trouble for having his work town car in the driveway!

Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
OP...Would you send your kids to private school if you could afford it?? Then don't begrudge those that do.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I guess you don't really have to believe anything about her that you don't want to, but this is a strange statement. Why should she have to send her kids to what she feels is obviously not the best school for her children so that you feel she's more "genuine in her role"?
I'm curious why the other one is better. She's not the first person I know that does this. I know a high school math teacher tells me his kids go to private schools because his public school is "bad"...well, that's just bizarre and I wouldn't want my kids having a teacher who thinks so low of the school my kids attend.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Teachers do not make the school, the students and their families do.
Exactly.

So it may make perfect sense. They're not disparaging the facilities or the quality of the teaching. It's the student body and the influences that they are interested in their children having.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP...Would you send your kids to private school if you could afford it?? Then don't begrudge those that do.
No. The private schools around here (with the exception of the super pricey ones) aren't any better than the public schools. As I said before, people send their kids to keep them away from kids they think are unsavory. Even the pricey ones, I wouldn't go for. My sister went to an Ivy League school and roomed with a bunch of prep school kids. Being surrounded by kids who money wasn't an issue for wasn't the best influence. She finished school and does well, but had a huge entitlement issue expecting to get things as easily as her friends did. I've seen parents break their backs to send their kids to a private school only to deal with lots of material expectations. Not all kids are like this of course, but it's something I've noticed.

And I don't begrudge people sending their kids to private schools. I do begrudge someone who works in a school system but thinks so little of the students that she won't let her kids near them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education