Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 03:19 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times

Advertisements

Unless sending your kids to a public school in the local school district is a stated qualification for the job (somewhat like the residency requirement for some cops and firefighters), you don't have any right to complain, IMHO. "What kind of message does it send"? Oh, I don't know, maybe send your kids to a school that provides the best fit? No offense, but if schools and educators had to do whatever any resident paying property taxes demands, then they would go nuts trying to satisfy 2,000 different mandates and standards that conflict with each other.

Mick

Old 11-19-2015, 03:24 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Unless sending your kids to a public school in the local school district is a stated qualification for the job (somewhat like the residency requirement for some cops and firefighters), you don't have any right to complain, IMHO. "What kind of message does it send"? Oh, I don't know, maybe send your kids to a school that provides the best fit? No offense, but if schools and educators had to do whatever any resident paying property taxes demands, then they would go nuts trying to satisfy 2,000 different mandates and standards that conflict with each other.

Mick
Where did I suggest you must live in the district you teach? My question was why a public school administrator chooses private schools for her kids.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:48 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Catholic schools teach grammar...and religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
They do that grammar thing in public schools too.
But the public schools do NOT do - CANNOT do - the religion thing.

You clearly do not understand this, but to some people, the religious aspect is quite important.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
But the public schools do NOT do - CANNOT do - the religion thing.

You clearly do not understand this, but to some people, the religious aspect is quite important.
Some. You are very naive if you think all catholic school parents do it for religious reasons. You're naive if you think 70% of them do.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 PM

920 posts, read 932,222 times
Quote:
I don't agree. There are plenty of teachers in that school who live in other towns and send their kids to the local public schools. Frankly, if this woman is rejecting the school system and public education for her kids yet makes a living off of public ed, then why should I believe she is genuine in her role?
Curious but what do you mean,"genuine in her role?"
Are you thinking she may not be able to carry out her job duties because her kids go to a private school?
I am guessing not but unless you feel she isn't doing her job duties, then I would understand where you're coming from.

Quote:
I get the first part and I understand that teaching is like living in a fishbowl so some will find houses outside the district. FWIW, her kids are zoned for a different school in the city (we have three). But in this area, those that attend catholic schools normally have to trash the public schools for whatever reason. So I do think it's a slap in the face and frankly just strange that the public schools she works in aren't good enough for her kid.
You don't know her kid do you? How do you know if her child would even fair well in public school versus a private Catholic school? And why assume you are being slapped in the face because her child may have needs which are better addressed in this private school? Why assume she has this attitude against her employer at all? It could be many different reasons, you just don't know. And trying to speculate, well I'd assume the best about her decision. She is the Mom.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Some. You are very naive if you think all catholic school parents do it for religious reasons. You're naive if you think 70% of them do.
Yeah....reading comprehension is good here...I SAID "some". Now I suppose you are going to tell us, OP, that you can see into her, her husband's, and her child's hearts and souls and tell us if they are choosing the Catholic school for religious reasons or not.....

Good grief, let it go already.

The horse is dead. It's decayed to point of bones. And yet you keep beating it....pointless.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned comments

Old 11-19-2015, 04:13 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Curious what people's thoughts are. Normally, I don't care where you send your kids to school as long as you don't bash other people's schools. But the other day, I was reading about my son's former elementary school gym teacher who was promoted to the principal job. The school is in a city with a beat up reputation and the school system get slammed by a lot of people...usually people who have no involvement in the school. Like anything, it's never as bad as people think. Anyway, I learned that she sends her kids to private schools in the city. To me, it was kind of weird learning that. I seriously wondered if she didn't believe in her work. Worse, it sounded like she was perfectly fine collecting a paycheck working with city kids (including mine), but didn't want her own kids around them. Yes I'm totally judging, but it just sounds wrong. Curious what other people think.
Aside from those who are willing to gamble with their kids future for a political or emotional ideology, many a person, including educators know their kids stand the best chance of a good education in private schools. Yes there are exceptions, especially if the public school system is top notch and you can get your kid into the best one despite where you live.
However many a public school system is only average or mediocre, and the only way to insure you kid gets a proper education is to send them to private school.
There are other factors as well.

Another issue is drugs and/or safety. That is no to say private/parochial schools are devoid of such problems, but it is more likely those kids will be expelled in a private vs. a public school system.

Where I was brought up, my blue collar parents made sacrifices to send me to private school because the alternative was not as good an education.
Now some of the kids I went to school with eventually were sent to public school because their parents moved, got a divorce or some other financial reason. Some of these kids were just as smart or smarter than I was. Yet when we would touch base with each other over the years, they were at least one year behind us in higher mathematics (algebra/geometry/Trig etc.). They were also taking some really weird classes instead of the world history type classes we were taking. They were also have break ins into their lockers/cars, and there were some unsavory people everyone tried to stay away from.

I have run out of time, but you get the picture. Who better to see the ills of the public schools they teach in than employees who see the underbelly first hand.

`

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: removed off topic gay stuff

Old 11-19-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
She is the Mom.
Yep!! And as mom, she gets to choose what she feels is best for HER child, just as you get to choose what you feel is best for YOUR child. Isn't that great? It's one of the many benefits of being a parent!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:16 PM

920 posts, read 932,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yep!! And as mom, she gets to choose what she feels is best for HER child, just as you get to choose what you feel is best for YOUR child. Isn't that great? It's one of the many benefits of being a parent!
Yes but it seems some feel that if you have a certain employer, you lose that right.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Curious but what do you mean,"genuine in her role?"
Are you thinking she may not be able to carry out her job duties because her kids go to a private school?
I am guessing not but unless you feel she isn't doing her job duties, then I would understand where you're coming from.

You don't know her kid do you? How do you know if her child would even fair well in public school versus a private Catholic school? And why assume you are being slapped in the face because her child may have needs which are better addressed in this private school? Why assume she has this attitude against her employer at all? It could be many different reasons, you just don't know. And trying to speculate, well I'd assume the best about her decision. She is the Mom.
We actually do know her kids. They're good kids from what I've seen. A little competitive and intense but that's how their mom is. As for her job duties....yes, I do wonder. Being an administrator is a job with long hours and total dedication to the school (my dad was one). I know adminstrators "taking ownership" of their schools isn't as common now as it was when we were kids, but I still believe that. So seeing her send her kids to a school that sends flyers stating how much better they are than public schools (completely ignoring their advantages of selecting kids), then it bothers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education