Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You attacked the parents of public school children(post # 160) by saying"private school " parents are motivated and public school parents are not and you are dead wrong.
That's an unusual interpretation of that post. I attended public schools from K-12, as well as a public university. My own kids were in public schools from K-8th grade. If I were "attacking" those parents, I’d be including myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 12:33 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Comparing a specialized program from a public school that gets to be selective about who it admits is absolutely the most apples to apples comparison between a public school and a private school. Exeter, Lawrenceville etc., like all private schools get to be selective about who they admit and can make their program as specialized as they want since they do not need to meet state standards.
No, it's not.

Exeter & Lawrenceville don't specialize. They offer a well rounded education aka: liberal arts.

And this is the first time you actually said what you were referring to: private high schools ONLY .

These are the privates where the C-student who just "graduated" from 8th still has a place in 9th grade & through 12th...while incoming frosh have to "test in".

Yet neither Exeter nor Lawrenceville are private HSs that "Specialize", such as High Tech High, in STEM only.

Quote:
When you compare similar public to similar private schools public schools are better. The only way your can pretend private schools are better is when you compare selective private schools to the public schools who cannot be. But even that falls apart when you look at regular, non-specialized public schools like West Windsor Plainsboro who still have SAT scores (1380) on par with some of the best private schools in the country. They are not a specialized school.
What you keep failing to realize is that a small specialized vo-tech (public) school is NOT the same as a private school. At any level.

You want to talk about WW? Compare the test scores & then the demographics to, lets say, New Brunswick HS.

No?

Find a small private HS that specializes in STEM & THEN you will have something that you can compare to your two specialized/selective public high schools.

Quote:
The scores, however, are strongly tied to demographics. Students are more likely to score well if they have parents who attended college and high family income, according to College Board data.....In New Jersey, small academies or county vocational technical schools with selective enrollment dominate the list of highest scores.
New SAT scores: Compare every N.J. public high school | NJ.com

You seem to operate under the delusion that private schools and their "selective enrollment" are the same for your specialized High Tech and Biotch High.

They are NOT.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Quote:
Your issues with demographics are yet again an attempt to move the goal posts.
I don't have issues with demographics.

Demographics give facts which one uses to figure **** out.

I haven't moved any goalpost, fictional or otherwise.

Quote:
The question is which is better public or private, in fact in the OP the question was which is better a good public school or a private school.
Right...not a small specialized, selective 9th-12th STEM public. Hellloooo?

Talk about moving goalposts.

Quote:
And the reality is that you have not only not proven that private schools have any advantage over good public schools but have refused to acknowledge that that when it comes to comparing apples to apples, public "wins".
I did? When did that happen. I missed it. Seems like you have done the exact opposite of what you set out to prove, and I'm not the only one who has picked up on it. But that's ok.

Just curious:

Do you compare Rutgers to Harvard?

You can't (but I bet you would try...if you had a personal connection/sent a kid to RU b/c "it's just like Harvard, Ivy Leagues are just the same as State Unis").

What you CAN do:

You compare RU to Penn State or UConn or any other state university.

You compare Harvard to Princeton or Yale or Cornell (not to Moravian or Lafayette or The College of NJ or Seton Hall).

I still don't know why this is so hard for you to understand & why you are so defensive.

Your agenda seems to be very personal as opposed to rational, so, I'm done.

Good luck!

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-18-2017 at 01:29 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 04:58 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
No, it's not.

Exeter & Lawrenceville don't specialize. They offer a well rounded education aka: liberal arts.

And this is the first time you actually said what you were referring to: private high schools ONLY .

These are the privates where the C-student who just "graduated" from 8th still has a place in 9th grade & through 12th...while incoming frosh have to "test in".

Yet neither Exeter nor Lawrenceville are private HSs that "Specialize", such as High Tech High, in STEM only.

What you keep failing to realize is that a small specialized vo-tech (public) school is NOT the same as a private school. At any level.

You want to talk about WW? Compare the test scores & then the demographics to, lets say, New Brunswick HS.

No?

Find a small private HS that specializes in STEM & THEN you will have something that you can compare to your two specialized/selective public high schools.

New SAT scores: Compare every N.J. public high school | NJ.com

You seem to operate under the delusion that private schools and their "selective enrollment" are the same for your specialized High Tech and Biotch High.

They are NOT.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

I don't have issues with demographics.

Demographics give facts which one uses to figure **** out.

I haven't moved any goalpost, fictional or otherwise.

Right...not a small specialized, selective 9th-12th STEM public. Hellloooo?

Talk about moving goalposts.

I did? When did that happen. I missed it. Seems like you have done the exact opposite of what you set out to prove, and I'm not the only one who has picked up on it. But that's ok.

Just curious:

Do you compare Rutgers to Harvard?

You can't (but I bet you would try...if you had a personal connection/sent a kid to RU b/c "it's just like Harvard, Ivy Leagues are just the same as State Unis").

What you CAN do:

You compare RU to Penn State or UConn or any other state university.

You compare Harvard to Princeton or Yale or Cornell (not to Moravian or Lafayette or The College of NJ or Seton Hall).

I still don't know why this is so hard for you to understand & why you are so defensive.

Your agenda seems to be very personal as opposed to rational, so, I'm done.

Good luck!

Wahhh "but it's specialized" wahhhh......

The reality is "specialized" would not give those kids higher scores. Specialized themes mean they take engineering courses, in the case of HTHS. Are engineering topics on the SAT? No. Is there an engineering AP exam? No. Kids at private schools take the same types of math and English courses at the kids at public academies.

The most apt comparison between public and private is to pick small schools (and Lawrenceville is small) with selective admissions. The problem is your need to believe that private schools are somehow intrinsically "better" is disproven when you compare academies to private schools.

Regardless you needn't bother with a response, I am sure it will just be some version of "but, but specialized".

Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Except that at a private school, you usually have children of parents who are very motivated....motivated for their children to do well academically, to behave well, to succeed. Even in a good public school district, you do not have that. And by high school, when most kids want to fit in with their peers, that changes the atmosphere of the school.

No, no mistake.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 PM

Couldn't let this gem go:

Quote:

The reality is "specialized" would not give those kids higher scores. Specialized themes mean they take engineering courses, in the case of HTHS. Are engineering topics on the SAT? No. Is there an engineering AP exam? No.
Who said that "specialized" would give those kids higher scores?

The reality is that you don't go to, let alone apply to, let alone will be admitted to a "specialized in engineering themed" (now it's "themed"?) HS such as HTHS, if you are less than highly proficient Math & English/LA.

You can see that on the HTHS website and under "admissions".

What's on the SAT, again?

Not Math and English, by any chance?

HTHS is stacked.

DUH?

Quote:
Kids at private schools take the same types of math and English courses at the kids at public academies.
Nope.

All you have to do is look up the course offerings at your HTHS vs. Lawrenceville.

Quote:
The most apt comparison between public and private is to pick small schools (and Lawrenceville is small) with selective admissions. The problem is your need to believe that private schools are somehow intrinsically "better" is disproven when you compare academies to private schools.
Nope.

All you have to do is look up the course offerings at your HTHS vs. Lawrenceville.

Lawrenceville requires, for incoming frosh, what most privates do: The SSAT or the ISEE - and since Lawrenceville isn't a "specialized" or "engineering themed" private school, and offers a heck of a lot more classes than the basics and "pre-engineering"....you can't compare.

But you keep trying to, for whatever reason it is that you do.

Quote:
Regardless you needn't bother with a response, I am sure it will just be some version of "but, but specialized".
You can be as purposefully obtuse as you want to, you still lose.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Sorry but that is elitist snob BS.With all due respect you sound like you don't even have children.
Call him what you want, but that is in fact the truth.
I was in an exceptionally good public district (2 of them, in fact). And an exceptional private.
Peer group makes a huge difference. Not my opinion. Studies bear out the same.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Call him what you want, but that is in fact the truth.
I was in an exceptionally good public district (2 of them, in fact). And an exceptional private.
Peer group makes a huge difference. Not my opinion. Studies bear out the same.
As was I,the best .Studies or no studies ....still not true.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Couldn't let this gem go:

Who said that "specialized" would give those kids higher scores?

The reality is that you don't go to, let alone apply to, let alone will be admitted to a "specialized in engineering themed" (now it's "themed"?) HS such as HTHS, if you are less than highly proficient Math & English/LA.

You can see that on the HTHS website and under "admissions".

What's on the SAT, again?

Not Math and English, by any chance?

HTHS is stacked.

DUH?

Nope.

Nope.

Lawrenceville requires, for incoming frosh, what most privates do: The SSAT or the ISEE - and since Lawrenceville isn't a "specialized" or "engineering themed" private school, and offers a heck of a lot more classes than the basics and "pre-engineering"....you can't compare.

But you keep trying to, for whatever reason it is that you do.

You can be as purposefully obtuse as you want to, you still lose.

Wahhhh but specialized!!

But wait, mcvsd has an admissions exam with math an language arts on it (except so do private schools like Lawrenceville; tests that also correlate to things like the SAT)

But high tech is so much more selective because specialized!!! It only takes about 1/4 of kids (except Lawrenceville takes about 1/5 oops its more selective)

Wahh those specialized course!!
Like calculus AB and BC! And multi variable (except Lawrenceville has them too and honors level at that)
Those engineering and programming classes, like honors computer programming (oh wait that is actually a Lawrenceville course)

Courses
https://www.lawrenceville.org/page/m...rtmentId=25207

Your argument that HTHS has some sort of magical classes that Lawrenceville doesn't is just hot air. Your argument that HTHS is somehow more selective that Lawrenceville is also more baloney. You are trying to pretend the elite private schools are not selective admissions, that they don't have advanced course work in stem, and just about anything you can to try to say that somehow the kids who go to HTHS are "better" going into it than the incredibly wealthy kids who go private boarding schools and in all likelihood had for more advantages than he majority of kids who go to the public Mcvsd academies who come from public schools.

Reality is private schools with their selective admissions programs only win when you compare them to schools without selective admissions. Comparing them to traditional public schools is as unfair as comparing magnets to traditional schools. Yet here you are hypocritically trying to say privates are better than public except when the public schools do exactly what the private ones do. Roflmao!!

Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:

But wait, mcvsd has an admissions exam with math an language arts on it (except so do private schools like Lawrenceville; tests that also correlate to things like the SAT)
MCVSD = Monmouth County Vocational School District.

The exams aren't specific to the school?

If you want to take Adult Cosmetology classes in the MCVSD, you have to provide your 7th & 8th grade GPAs & not score below a certain "level" on same testing HTHS gives to it's prospective students? To get in to the "themed" cosmetology program in a MCVSD?

Didn't think so.

Quote:
But high tech is so much more selective because specialized!!! It only takes about 1/4 of kids (except Lawrenceville takes about 1/5 oops its more selective)
According to HTHS, it admits 75 incoming frosh out of 300+ applicants. So yes, 25%.

Keep in mind the applicant pool is restricted to Monmouth County.

Lawrenceville has 1800+ applicants (this includes state wide/country-wide & internationally) with room to admit only so many for boarding/so many for day-school; to the tune of about 350.

Now if HTHS were a private school and had 1800 applicants and only room for 75...it would have a 4% rate of acceptance.

If Lawrenceville had room for 350 incoming frosh & only had 300+ applicants? The acceptance rate would be 100%.

Private schools, such as Lawrenceville aren't "themed", so not every child accepted has to be able to be "really good" at math or writing/English, in order to be accepted. Unlike HTHS where kids who are interested in engineering, because HTHS is a school that specializes in/concentrates in turning out/fostering a student's interest in engineering, apply.

This is why the kids who apply to HTHS probably don't apply to a performing arts HS too - to see which one they get in to first.

Quote:
Like calculus AB and BC! And multi variable (except Lawrenceville has them too and honors level at that)
Those engineering and programming classes, like honors computer programming (oh wait that is actually a Lawrenceville course)
Most privates & publics do.

What is missing in courses available at HTHS are the electives public and private HSs have.

This is because HTHS is pumping out little future engineers. It's the focus of the school and the REASON why it exists.

Nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Your argument that HTHS has some sort of magical classes that Lawrenceville doesn't is just hot air.
I never said HTHS has "magical classes".

Quote:
Your argument that HTHS is somehow more selective that Lawrenceville is also more baloney.
I never said that. You did - and only using facts that support your end game.

Quote:
You are trying to pretend the elite private schools are not selective admissions, that they don't have advanced course work in stem, and just about anything you can to try to say that somehow the kids who go to HTHS are "better" going into it than the incredibly wealthy kids who go private boarding schools and in all likelihood had for more advantages than he majority of kids who go to the public Mcvsd academies who come from public schools.
You must be dizzy from all of your spinning.

I never said that.

If you would care to pay attention, what I have been saying is that you can't compare a public school that one has to test in to because it is specialized/themed/has a direct focus (such as engineering) to any other public or private school that isn't "specialized/themed/unique to their counterparts".

And you still can only compare private to private, public to public, "themed" public to the same type of a "themed" public.

Quote:
Reality is private schools with their selective admissions programs only win when you compare them to schools without selective admissions.
Again, what you are missing, is the fact that these private schools with their selective admission programs don't tend to specialize in a theme - such as Engineering - like this HTHS does.

This is why, and you keep missing this fact as well, that HTHS students score so high on their standardized testing. HTHS only TAKES the top performers who will SUCCEED in their "themed school".

It's the only reason why HTHS exists.

Quote:
Comparing them to traditional public schools is as unfair as comparing magnets to traditional schools.
No one other than you has done that.

Quote:
Yet here you are hypocritically trying to say privates are better than public....
Where did I "try to say" that?

Quote:
.....except when the public schools do exactly what the private ones do. Roflmao!!
I never said that HTHS is a typical public school that can be compared to a typical/traditional public or private.

You are the only one operating under that delusion.

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-19-2017 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 12:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
As was I,the best .Studies or no studies ....still not true.
How good could it be if you let emotion overrule cold hard facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education