Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Once more....since you literally could not be more wrong.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...-rankings/stem

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-12808

"High Technology High School
Lincroft, NJ | Monmouth County Vocational School District

#1 in STEM Rankings
#16 in National Rankings
"

Oh and college readiness score.
"College Readiness Score 100.0/100.0"

High Tech is in Monmouth country. Lincroft to be exact and is part of the same vocational district as Biotech and Allied Health (ranked number 16 btw)

I am not sure where you went to school but 660 does not equal 1. So maybe don't make things up.
I didn't make anything up....

I searched both of the schools that you mentioned were in NJ - the search showed the following "High Tech High School":

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-12588

You can obviously see the following for yourself:

High Tech High School
2000 85th Street, N Bergen, New Jersey 07047 | (201) 662-6801 | Website

#660 in National Rankings | College Readiness Score 51.4/100.0

Quote:
In fact between Newsweek, US News, and most other quantitative measures these are some of the best schools in the US hands down.

Compare that to the top private schools, like say Exeter (arguably the best private school in the US).

High tech

Average SAT score for the High tech kids 1506
New SAT scores: Compare every N.J. public high school | NJ.com

Average SAT score for Exeter 1430
https://www.niche.com/k12/phillips-e...emy-exeter-nh/

And both of those are out of 1600.
That's impressive, but you aren't comparing apples to apples for some reason.

Quote:
The bottom line is that the best public schools in the country out perform the best private schools.
Those aren't the "best public schools in the country". They are the best technical/"magnet"/specialized schools - they have their own niche.

As an educator you should be more than aware of that fact.

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-14-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Ah, HS.

Sorry - I was referring to the preK-8th my kids went to for a few years (oldest until 5th grade, middle until 3rd grade, youngest we started in the independent private with his siblings).
Ours went to parochial high schools after attending public schools from K-8th grade. We live in a top ranked school district, but by the time most students got to the middle of 8th grade, classes were--I'm sorry to say--dumbed down, many kids started to have too much freedom, peer pressure was more focused on being "cool" and less on grades, etc, etc. Also, the CA state standards had changed.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Very few "Parochial" schools,elementry or High schools that don't need to watch their money.
Did anyone say they didn't? In the ones our kids attended, the kids who were problems were still gone by the middle of freshman year. (I'd imagine that none of those kids had parents who were alums or who had donated large sums of $ to the schools, though.)

Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 AM

628 posts, read 663,288 times
We live in a good school district but the county is attempting to bus in inner city kids. If this goes through we will look at private schools. Basically, school achievements goes hand-in-hand with demographics. So, if you see the demographics of your school district change, it is time to start looking elsewhere.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I didn't make anything up....

I searched both of the schools that you mentioned were in NJ - the search showed the following "High Tech High School":

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-12588

You can obviously see the following for yourself:

High Tech High School
2000 85th Street, N Bergen, New Jersey 07047 | (201) 662-6801 | Website

#660 in National Rankings | College Readiness Score 51.4/100.0

That's impressive, but you aren't comparing apples to apples for some reason.

Those aren't the "best public schools in the country". They are the best technical/"magnet"/specialized schools - they have their own niche.

As an educator you should be more than aware of that fact.
Your inability to differentiate between schools despite sources, is literally your problem. Reallya ll it shows is you can't and continue to ignore the fact you were wrong. High tech, the one I linked to, is the top STEM program in the US, regardless of private or public. It's students do better at objective measures than even the top private schools. A catch you still ignore. Really why should anyone take anyone as an informed source when they cannot even admit when they were wrong?

And while they maybe specialized schools they are specialized PUBLIC schools. And the question is public vs private. And when you put the best public against the best private public wins. That is a fact you should be aware of. Now if you want to move the goal posts ( a logical fallacy) or make a strawman (a logical fallacy) go ahead, it does not change the fact that private does not beat public when you look at the best of each.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:16 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Did anyone say they didn't? In the ones our kids attended, the kids who were problems were still gone by the middle of freshman year. (I'd imagine that none of those kids had parents who were alums or who had donated large sums of $ to the schools, though.)

You did, post #135

Old 07-15-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
When you say "problems" what are you referring to?I see you imagine but you don't know,you are assuming and you know the old saying about that ,right?

Old 07-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Once more....since you literally could not be more wrong.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...-rankings/stem

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-12808

"High Technology High School
Lincroft, NJ | Monmouth County Vocational School District

#1 in STEM Rankings
#16 in National Rankings
"

Oh and college readiness score.
"College Readiness Score 100.0/100.0"

High Tech is in Monmouth country. Lincroft to be exact and is part of the same vocational district as Biotech and Allied Health (ranked number 16 btw)

I am not sure where you went to school but 660 does not equal 1. So maybe don't make things up.

In fact between Newsweek, US News, and most other quantitative measures these are some of the best schools in the US hands down.

Compare that to the top private schools, like say Exeter (arguably the best private school in the US).

High tech

Average SAT score for the High tech kids 1506
New SAT scores: Compare every N.J. public high school | NJ.com

Average SAT score for Exeter 1430
https://www.niche.com/k12/phillips-e...emy-exeter-nh/

And both of those are out of 1600.

The bottom line is that the best public schools in the country out perform the best private schools.

The two schools you are talking about in Lincroft are "private schools" not public.

P.S.
Exeter is not the Best in the country,good yes,these are just a few.......

The Lawrenceville School

Phillips Academy

Horace Mann School

Harvard-Westlake School

Old 07-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
When you say "problems" what are you referring to?
Discipline. Scroll back.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
You did, post #135
"Watching their money" is obviously different than ignoring discipline or drug problems with the children of alums/those who donate heavily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education