Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,765,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I can fix every school system in the US for $500K from each. They will have to contractually agree to do my program for 6/7 years with no change or questions.

It's an easy fix. Go back to homogeneous grouping. In all middle/high school subjects. That's it. Start identifying in 3rd grade.

Just like elementary school has Red, Silver, Blue and Giraffe reading groups extend that to middle and high school based on grade level reading.

Now, what will happen is that some schools will have zero kids, or an extremely small number, in the Honors group (College Prep). Which is to be expected when the average reading level for an incoming 9th grader is 4th grade in a lot of systems.

International studies have shown that tracking before age 16 actually lowers the average academic performance of students from that country. Tracking after 16, with all tracks being of similar quality, just with different career choices, has been correlated with more positive outcomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 01:09 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
International studies have shown that tracking before age 16 actually lowers the average academic performance of students from that country. Tracking after 16, with all tracks being of similar quality, just with different career choices, has been correlated with more positive outcomes.
when you say" tracking" do you actually mean grouping/streaming, or do you simply mean tracking (i.e. following their progress but not separating them into groups)

Old 05-05-2016, 01:10 PM

45,554 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:

It's not tracking, it's heterogeneous grouping. I'm not talking career tracks but academic tracks (not necessarily college prep, though).

And what has not tracking gotten us?

Old 05-05-2016, 01:15 PM
bg7

Quote:
In the studies I've read streaming or grouping tends to helps already-bright pupils do even better, but everyone else does worse. Which could be consistent with your assertion that the average drops (depending on the numbers).

Old 05-05-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
when you say" tracking" do you actually mean grouping/streaming, or do you simply mean tracking (i.e. following their progress but not separating them into groups)
"Tracking is separating pupils by academic ability into groups for all subjects or certain classes and curriculum within a school. It may be referred to as streaming or phasing in certain schools." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_(education)

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's not tracking, it's heterogeneous grouping. I'm not talking career tracks but academic tracks (not necessarily college prep, though).

And what has not tracking gotten us?

I know what you're saying. What I'm saying is that internationally, the countries that track early (or heterogeneously group according to academic ability early) tend to do more poorly, on average, in critical thinking and problem solving tests such as the PISA, and countries that have career oriented tracks starting around age 16 tend to do better, on average, on these tests.

I'm sorry, but the data says that lack of academic tracking at age 10 is not the problem. Good idea, just not the right one.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
In the studies I've read streaming or grouping tends to helps already-bright pupils do even better, but everyone else does worse. Which could be consistent with your assertion that the average drops (depending on the numbers).

Yup this. The top goes up a bit, but the bottom completely drops out, which lowers the average.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:31 PM
bg7

Quote:
"Tracking is separating pupils by academic ability into groups for all subjects or certain classes and curriculum within a school. It may be referred to as streaming or phasing in certain schools." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_(education)

Ok
"Tracking" is a poor term, it means too many other things.
I think streaming is much clearer.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:33 PM

45,554 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
Yup this. The top goes up a bit, but the bottom completely drops out, which lowers the average.
Then just don't count the drop outs, that's what has gotten us to this, we actually started to count the kids who used to drop out and punish schools if they do.

Look, there's not one size fits all but, since I taught for 30+ years with both tracking and non-tracking classes, in a school system which allows just about any kid to take AP classes and where Guidance Counselors put non-achievers into advanced classes to see if they'll wake up, I'll take going back to tracking.

There's also a lot more involved. A really fascinating factoid the College Board released a few years ago about SAT scores, and I'd link it if I could find it, is that when SAT scores are broken out by race and socio-economic class that the highest socio-economic class Black students score only a few (around 10 combined) points higher than the White students from the lowest socio-economic class.

You should have seen the emails and releases those of us involved in testing got from them.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,586,064 times
Quote:
This makes sense because in a non tracked system 80% of a teacher's effort goes to the bottom of the class. There are more gains to be made there than there are by working with the top of the class if you just want to look at the average. We need to keep in mind that those top kids are the ones who will lead the country in the future. Favoring someone who probably won't even go to college over them all for the sake of a higher average seems like we're shooting ourselves in the foot. Of course the bottom does better when we put everyone in the same class because the classes have to be catered to them. We have to push them forward to get the class to go forward.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,211,056 times
I don't see the problem with tracking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education