Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:19 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Lane View Post
Mississippi has pretty bad schools... South Carolina's rural/highly urbanized areas have bad schools. Although they do have two schools that rank in the top 20 schools in the nation.

But just because the school is low, that doesn't mean anything.

Are you looking at schools based on national testing scores or state testing scores? Most compare by state testing, since national testing is not generally issued. State testing varies quite dramatically, as do state standards.
yeah, you must be right because when I hear Mississippi, I think bad schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I would think places in the Southwest because of their problems with illegal immigrants overcrowding lots of schools, gangbanging, not speaking english, and not enough funding since many of the students parents do not pay taxes.
AZ is VERY bad! Though some schools in Phx are ok.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 AM

151 posts, read 703,106 times
Nova, I hope that is not true. I know in Dekalb, Illinois, parents influence is extemetly great, the reason for this is parents will turn in droves to appose anything they do not want to see as policy, and it works. In places where parents pretty much let the educators have their way with their kids you can bank on them establishing polices that are not always in the best interest of the kids, like less PE, and less ART, and more teaching to the tests, etc.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,301 times
Some Maine schools are really good (Five Town CSD, Presque Isle, etc.) Some are always in controversy (Portland, Searsport)

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default Worst States in Education?

Texas has been slipping on many fronts in recent years, as NCLB has required the schools to become test-crazy. That federal law has probably had a similare effect in most other states, too.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
Nova, I hope that is not true. I know in Dekalb, Illinois, parents influence is extemetly great, the reason for this is parents will turn in droves to appose anything they do not want to see as policy, and it works. In places where parents pretty much let the educators have their way with their kids you can bank on them establishing polices that are not always in the best interest of the kids, like less PE, and less ART, and more teaching to the tests, etc.
Well, I do think that parents can have influence however with all of the crap going on now with NCLB there are many people who are stuck with having to do and support things that they do not believe in and I think some parents are feeling like there is nothing they can do to fight those battles.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM

151 posts, read 703,106 times
That is how we are feeling now, and yet parents should have full participation in their child's education. This just has to be a battle we fight.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
I will cast yet another vote for Florida.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Some Missouri schools are really good. Ronald Reagan went to visit the elementary school I went to because it was the nation's top award winning public school at that time. That's funny though because I have heard that Missourians have a rep for being not the brightest bulbs, yet we have good schools. I love the middle school and high schools that my daughters attend, and even the southern rural school they went to before wasn't half bad, though I admit I homeschooled them for a big portion of that time.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
Missouri MAP tests are apparently some of the hardest in the country.

So we're switching to end-of-course exams next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education