Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:04 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times

Advertisements

One that comes to mind I only interacted with because he was the faculty advisor for the poetry club. Anyway, the way I heard it happened is a student asked him what an orgy was and the teacher told him. The boy's parents didn't like that and complained to our headmaster about it. Wouldn't be surprised if there was more to the story that I never heard though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 07:26 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I only had one actually "fired" (though he was rehired the next year); Nothing to do with academics or teaching. Happened about six weeks into the school year. He was the football coach and certain players didn't get starting positions, so the football boosters (IE money people) put pressure on the administration to fire him. Second time around he had an affair with one of the cheerleaders (though legally she was over 18 at the time).

Old 11-20-2016, 11:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
This teacher didn't get fired but it looked like a close thing.

I went to a Catholic high school and my biology teacher got into an argument with one of the Christian brothers. From the expression on the teachers face I was wondering if he was about to punch the CB out. To me they were almost all obnoxious *******s. But the biology teacher let it go.

I wanted to punch them sometimes too but the consequences would not make it worth it. That is what school is for. Psychologically conditioning people to put up with BS.

psik

Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
My 6th grade teacher was fired the year after I had him for the 6th grade. He had been my 4th grade teacher also.

During the 4th grade I remember being literally invisible to him. The 6th grade was a whole different scenario.

He developed an "interest" in my academic abilities; or rather, what he deemed an inability. During my 6th grade year I became convinced that I was hopelessly stupid. I had to stay every day after school for the sake of "private tutoring" for Algebra.

I could not for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong. His explanation for it was "a mental block".

My mom became concerned & decided to pop-in during one after-school "tutoring" session & became enraged at what she perceived as his overly-intimate posturing & positioning. Body language I guess.

The weird thing is that I was oblivious to it. In my mind; I knew he thought I was pretty. But stupid. As an adult I recognize it for what it was & I believe the term is "Grooming".

Old 11-20-2016, 11:57 AM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
The few teachers I had in high school that I -- at the time -- thought were truly lousy teachers all left the profession by mid-life. None were fired.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I had an elementary teacher who wasn't fired, just didn't come back from maternity leave.

I had a high school chemistry teacher who resigned, but it was widely assumed he'd been given the option to do so or have his contract terminated. He was a first-year teacher, and was still very much a part of his college frat scene on the weekends, apparently. I had him last period, my best friend had him first period. By last period on Fridays, we did nothing, he was already checked out. Per the people in his first period class, Monday mornings were a disaster...he was seldom on time, and generally appeared and acted hungover, and, again, little got done.

He wasn't a bad teacher, actually, when he was on his a-game. Unfortunately, he was still living the college lifestyle and not quite ready for the working world at that point.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I just remembered, but I also had an elementary teacher who was essentially forced into retirement. She had been teaching for about forty years, and had become very ill-tempered and abusive toward students, and had not adapted to professional culture changes well over the years ("old school" in a way that was unacceptable to the administration). It was another thing where she was "strongly encouraged" to retire to avoid disciplinary action.

I was aware of this because I was the child of a school board member and overheard a lot. I had had her as a teacher in fourth grade, and never had any problems with her, but she definitely was widely regarded as "the mean teacher."

Old 11-21-2016, 07:27 AM

So, looking at the answers so far, it does pose the question. Have teachers ever been removed for poor teaching? Most of the comments seem to related to politics with the administration or to questionable behavior. But none for poor teaching itself. I had plenty of poor teachers in school, but none terminated like the coach was for political reasons.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So, looking at the answers so far, it does pose the question. Have teachers ever been removed for poor teaching? Most of the comments seem to related to politics with the administration or to questionable behavior. But none for poor teaching itself. I had plenty of poor teachers in school, but none terminated like the coach was for political reasons.
Many times they're intertwined. In all honesty if administration wants to get rid of a teacher they can, for almost any reason as long as they follow procedures.

In my thirty plus years I saw teachers targeted for numerous reasons every year. In only a few cases was it for teaching practice, although the new evaluations make it easier. My former system is basing its ratings on a Bell Curve so administrators are required to find 7% of the staff Unsatisfactory every year. Conversely only 7% can be found Outstanding.

I've seen teachers get targeted for their shoes. Honest to God that's what the two female admins always complained about and they harassed that teacher unmercifully.

You give a teacher all the discipline problems in one class and then observe only that one. Oftentimes the admin would come in, stir the kids up and that would be the observation.

Got to go. Be back in a couple hours.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many times they're intertwined. In all honesty if administration wants to get rid of a teacher they can, for almost any reason as long as they follow procedures.

In my thirty plus years I saw teachers targeted for numerous reasons every year. In only a few cases was it for teaching practice, although the new evaluations make it easier. My former system is basing its ratings on a Bell Curve so administrators are required to find 7% of the staff Unsatisfactory every year. Conversely only 7% can be found Outstanding.

I've seen teachers get targeted for their shoes. Honest to God that's what the two female admins always complained about and they harassed that teacher unmercifully.

You give a teacher all the discipline problems in one class and then observe only that one. Oftentimes the admin would come in, stir the kids up and that would be the observation.

Got to go. Be back in a couple hours.
Lord I hate evaluation systems based on the Bell Curve. It is a complete false myth to evaluate people with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education