Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
thanks for correcting! Yes family is the first form of socialization. I guess I am so for early learning that I forgot that family is the first form and school is one of the forms of socialization.

We are the lowest on the pay scale than any teacher. I do not get it beiing that children actually learn in daycare settings and many daycare workers are required to earn trainings and degrees.

That young girl was too shelter. She was being taught properly at home. However, she lacked all the socialization skills in the world. Many kindergarten teachers hate to experience that. I had a classroom of 22 4 and 5 year olds. Imagine if all of them had any sort of socialization skills. In kindergarten, teachers have over 22 5 and 6 year olds.
I taught Kindergarten one year (and thankfully just one year). Most kids naturally seek out the company of peers at that age. The few I had that didn't were over that by October and engaging with the group. There was one child that didn't in my team teacher's class, and it was unusual enough that they started discussing special education testing. That was back when only a few kids had attended preschool and the few that did only went for a couple of hours a couple of days a week.

I absolutely agree most daycare and preschool teachers are underpaid. That said, the ones with ECE or Elementary certification (not an ECE certificate) in the public schools are paid the exact same as any other certified teacher. Those whose jobs require an associates or below level of education are going to get less pay than jobs that require a specialized Bachelor's or Master's degree. That is just reality. Additionally private schools always pay less than public ones.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I think it should be mandatory but only at age 3 and beyond.

Infants and toddlers are able to learn as well, but I do not think it needs to be mandatory for infant and toddlers
No. Like DARE, children not in at-risk homes are actually negatively impacted. Additionally, any gains made by at-risk kids faded by the end of third grade. The one lasting impact, and I don't consider it a small one, is that the parents of children who attended Head Start were less likely to spank their children. However, Head Start has a parental participation requirement so even that won't occur in a private program.

But, I will always support free preschool for at-risk children simply because mandatory child abuse reporting will help identify children being physically or sexually abused. I wish there was more mandatory parenting classes.

It is not neccessary to demand well cared for children enter any type of preschool.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default...art_report.pdf

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-03-2016 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Left out the "pre"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 11:42 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Are you kidding me? Children don't need daycare or preschool to to learn socialization skills.
Maybe they do. Too many parents today -- particularly mothers -- try to shelter their children waaaaay too much. They only want them to play with other children who are exactly perfect, and so forth. School is a way to begin to learn socialization skills with a diverse (and I am not necessarily talking about racially) group of other kids.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:45 AM

525 posts, read 406,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe they do. Too many parents today -- particularly mothers -- try to shelter their children waaaaay too much. They only want them to play with other children who are exactly perfect, and so forth. School is a way to begin to learn socialization skills with a diverse (and I am not necessarily talking about racially) group of other kids.
Exactly

Old 12-03-2016, 11:45 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My 3 year old grand-niece has 4 brothers and many young cousins. She's been learning about conflict resolution, sharing, problem solving and building relationships since the day she was old enough to grab one of her brothers' toys.

I would postulate that Pre-K and daycare is relatively new. I am 54, no one went to Pre-school or Day Care in my community in the 60's, I don't know if they even existed. I didn't go to school until I was almost 6 (March birthday) and had no problems socializing or problem solving or developing friendships, in fact I think I'm exceptionally good at all three of those skills. I also graduated Magna C um Laude from my University, despite not being able to write nor count to 50 at age 4.

I don't think the generation who went to daycare are better at any of those problem-solving, socialization and relationship-building skills, in fact I think a good argument can be made that these skills appear to be declining over the past decades as learning them has moved further away from home, family and community.
My mother had a private pre-school (not a daycare) for 49 years, retiring due to health issues 2 years ago. She started it after my siblings went to another pre-school in the area and she knew she could do a better job (they are 54 & 55 now). Teachers and principals would send their children and grandchildren to her school because of her long standing successful reputation. So Pre-K is not relatively new in most areas.

My children and grandchildren have also gone to private pre-schools. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that it helps everyone. Each child is different.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:05 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
While I do not have an exact answer, schools and teachers have to be held to some standard. After all, we are paying them to teach our children.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is no reason to do that at 3, it can wait until Kindergarten. It is reasonable for parents to want to form a foundation for their children before sending them to meet the rest of the world.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree with you. From what I seen comparing children from when I first started teaching until now, the government takeover of the roles in a child's life that traditionally belonged to families generally results in poorer outcomes for the child. It was fine when they were aimed just at children at high-risk because of bad parenting but good parents have always done a better job than government institutions ever could. I'm a little alarmed at the march towards making preschool mandatory.
The issue I find is that there aren't good parents anymore. It's rare to find parents like mine that stayed married for 40 years plus BOTH have stable 9-5 jobs (except my father on weather emergencies) until retirement. It's far more common to be "at-risk" due to parents divorcing or having to work at all hours of the day to provide for their family or what's worse is the tech obsessed parents who can't get off their phone long enough to realize their child wandered off in the restaurant they were eating at...

I don't like the pre-school mandate either honestly but it is a reaction to issues I saw when I was working a child-care aide all the time. Some kids would continually be issues whether acting out and starting fights, crying because they were left out or not put with their friend in a game, or anything else. Some kids aren't disciplined at home. I see that as well in the high school level in special education. One student is a runner and and will run out or lay on the floor if he don't get his way. His parents don't discipline him at home and instead reward that behavior. This happens outside of special education too. How many times are kids not denied the latest video game or movie because of bad grades or acting out at school these days? I'd get this every so often when I acted up actually.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There is no reason to do that at 3, it can wait until Kindergarten. It is reasonable for parents to want to form a foundation for their children before sending them to meet the rest of the world.
The only point I can understand with Pre-K, Pre-School, day care, etc. is removal of separation anxiety of the potential kindergartener. But that can be done several ways. What would always get me honestly is when my parents went to a wedding or something and my brother and I ended up with a sitter, because it was a break from the routine of at least mom being home. (My brother wasn't old enough to watch me so it wasn't like he could babysit me at that point.)

Old 12-03-2016, 12:50 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,200 times
No point in this discussion. Politicians love standardized testing, and so it will continue to be here no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education