Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a school be better with uniforms for teachers and children?
Yes, it would be better 9 52.94%
No, it wouldn't be better 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That's a funny question. You yap on and on about women's/girls' responsibility, but you have to ask about male responsibility? Maybe to not think with their d*^)s.
I was asking you about what responsibilities men should have, since you are the one who has a problem with women having responsibility. Anyway, I don't like the way you worded it (and I'm sure you'd call me out if I posted that with the genders reversed), but I do very much agree with you about men having that responsibility.

Quote:
That's what the implication is, that if women don't dress modestly, even a five year old whose tummy is peeking out when she raises her arms and is wearing a top that is not tucked in, they will be sexually assaulted.
No, I do not think that is what anybody is saying.

Again, I was not in that classroom, I do not know that girl, nor do I know the teacher. I do not know what she was wearing. I do not know what her history was. There are students who push the envelope; perhaps she had been in trouble multiple times for wearing a midriff shirt and was given one last chance. So she wears the smallest shirt possible that just barely covers her midriff, and forgot that she might want to raise her hand. Not saying that is what happened, just one possibility. But there are also authority figures (including teachers) who abuse their power, especially with regards to people that they don't like. So it is also very possible that she was dressed modestly, and she was an otherwise rule-abiding student that the teacher just didn't like, and he found a technicality to nail her on. Again, I was not there, I do not know the history, nor did I see what she was wearing. So I can only post 2 possible theories. Note that theory #2 takes the girl's side. So stop accusing me of being sexist.

I think you and I may just have to agree to disagree. We are not going to agree with each other, and we are both wasting each other's time.

Last edited by mitsguy2001; 12-09-2016 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Deleting a line that another poster found offensive.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 PM

308 posts, read 267,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I'm suggesting because (a) clothing does not create distractions on the whole and (b) overly strict dress codes require enforcement which leads to more work for the adults and missed class time for children.
(a) No, on the whole clothing does not, and should not. However, you cannot deny that it has, can be, and will continue to be a possible point of distraction. Even if you have only ever attended, taught at, sent kids to, or only ever visited schools where clothing has never been a distraction (to which I would say you've been quite lucky), the fact is that there are plenty of schools where it is an issue. And based on my own experience as both a student, parent, and teacher even something as silly as shoe brands can be a cause of trouble. I have even seen kids bring towels to school to keep their shoes looking brand new, which makes me wonder if that student is more worried about his shoes than his education.

(b) I think we both would agree that overly strict dress codes is just as bad as lax dress codes because in either case, time is wasted having to address the issue. If the teacher has to stop class, then the entire class loses out on learning time. And if the student has to be sent out of class, then that student loses out on learning time. Keeping it simple is all that is needed (as an example, most uniforms consist of a polo shirt and either pants or shorts). And if the school issues the uniforms (at a reasonable cost), then there will never be issues with clothing being too short/revealing. If even after uniforms are issued and faculty/staff are still having to fiddle with length/coverage/etc then the issue is not the idea of using uniforms but the implementation of said uniforms. (I.e. "You're doing it wrong.") If you really think about it, uniforms just make it much easier (when implemented correctly) because you are either wearing one or you're not. In either case, there is a dress code but the uniforms makes it that much simpler to address. (And if your child gets sent home for improper dress at a school that uses uniforms, you can bet that any serious parent who has to take time off of work to pick up that kid will make sure that it will not be an issue in the future -- a bit extreme, but pretty effective in addressing the issue.)

My point is: if you're going to have a dress code, keep it simple for all parties involved and it will be less likely to be an issue. Having uniforms is more likely to achieve that goal than not.

Last edited by rs1n; 12-09-2016 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: addtional comment

Old 12-09-2016, 08:24 PM

285 posts, read 262,301 times
I went to a school with a strict dress code, a school with a "meh" dress code, and several schools with dress codes obviously biased towards female students only. Then one school with an all types of effed up dress code that basically forced gender roles into it.

My take is this: If guys can do it, so can girls and vice versa. Dress somewhat appropriately and call it a day.

I think there should be RULES but not biased ones or strict as hell ones. I get it's supposed to teach responsibility, but I've seen school known "females"(to stay respectful) walk into interviews with professional attire then walk into school looking like they work at a strip club.

My old high school, for example, banned female students from wearing any form of "shirts that do not completely cover the shoulders". The male rule was that it was allowed, just no "Spaghetti strings, thin shoulder straps, or inappropriate markings". I challenged that rule by, as I identified as female, coming into school on a hot as satans ballsack day in a mens tanktop and was immediately told to go home or change into a more appropriate shirt as literally every other guy wore the same thing and walked past me.....

It was HOT as hell and I watched a girl walk in and got coded for wearing her TRACK SHORTS!!!

Apparently there was also a rule against wearing track uniforms unless it was during a meet or pre-meet practice, and this basically only applied to females as well because I've seen many of our male track members walk around in their tops and get nothing but Lord help us if a girl does the exact same, in a distance runner top mind you!

For those unaware, distance runners track uniforms are typically looser and I assume its to let more air flow through where sprinter/short distance uniforms are skin tight to prevent drag.

And if the codes are to prevent guys from getting distracted, it's not a female problem and you know it. If I, as a bisexual transguy attracted to women, can easily control myself near 20-30 incredibly attracted and bare naked women at a time, hold conversations with them as we shower, and joke as we are all in our natural states,(did it in gym every day) then I'm pretty sure a bio-male can resist popping a boner over seeing a bra strap.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I was asking you about what responsibilities men should have, since you are the one who has a problem with women having responsibility. Anyway, I don't like the way you worded it (and I'm sure you'd call me out if I posted that with the genders reversed), but I do very much agree with you about men having that responsibility.

No, I do not think that is what anybody is saying.

Again, I was not in that classroom, I do not know that girl, nor do I know the teacher. I do not know what she was wearing. I do not know what her history was. There are students who push the envelope; perhaps she had been in trouble multiple times for wearing a midriff shirt and was given one last chance. So she wears the smallest shirt possible that just barely covers her midriff, and forgot that she might want to raise her hand. Not saying that is what happened, just one possibility. But there are also authority figures (including teachers) who abuse their power, especially with regards to people that they don't like. So it is also very possible that she was dressed modestly, and she was an otherwise rule-abiding student that the teacher just didn't like, and he found a technicality to nail her on. Again, I was not there, I do not know the history, nor did I see what she was wearing. So I can only post 2 possible theories. Note that theory #2 takes the girl's side. So stop accusing me of being sexist.

You seem to think it was cute that you sent your 5 year old to daughter to kindergarten on her first day of school with a midriff shirt. I don't agree.

I think you and I may just have to agree to disagree. We are not going to agree with each other, and we are both wasting each other's time.
Lemme tell you, jack, you just majorly crossed the line with that remark about me and my daughter. I didn't send her to school with her midriff showing. You have a reading comprehension problem. I said she raised her arms and a bit of tummy was showing. The implication that I was sexualizing my daughter is way over the top. I'm reporting you, and that's something I don't often do!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:53 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
I went to a school with a strict dress code, a school with a "meh" dress code, and several schools with dress codes obviously biased towards female students only. Then one school with an all types of effed up dress code that basically forced gender roles into it.

My take is this: If guys can do it, so can girls and vice versa. Dress somewhat appropriately and call it a day.

I think there should be RULES but not biased ones or strict as hell ones. I get it's supposed to teach responsibility, but I've seen school known "females"(to stay respectful) walk into interviews with professional attire then walk into school looking like they work at a strip club.

My old high school, for example, banned female students from wearing any form of "shirts that do not completely cover the shoulders". The male rule was that it was allowed, just no "Spaghetti strings, thin shoulder straps, or inappropriate markings". I challenged that rule by, as I identified as female, coming into school on a hot as satans ballsack day in a mens tanktop and was immediately told to go home or change into a more appropriate shirt as literally every other guy wore the same thing and walked past me.....

It was HOT as hell and I watched a girl walk in and got coded for wearing her TRACK SHORTS!!!

Apparently there was also a rule against wearing track uniforms unless it was during a meet or pre-meet practice, and this basically only applied to females as well because I've seen many of our male track members walk around in their tops and get nothing but Lord help us if a girl does the exact same, in a distance runner top mind you!

For those unaware, distance runners track uniforms are typically looser and I assume its to let more air flow through where sprinter/short distance uniforms are skin tight to prevent drag.

And if the codes are to prevent guys from getting distracted, it's not a female problem and you know it. If I, as a bisexual transguy attracted to women, can easily control myself near 20-30 incredibly attracted and bare naked women at a time, hold conversations with them as we shower, and joke as we are all in our natural states,(did it in gym every day) then I'm pretty sure a bio-male can resist popping a boner over seeing a bra strap.
Usually, it's the other way around: dress codes allowing women to wear tank tops but not men.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Usually, it's the other way around: dress codes allowing women to wear tank tops but not men.
Document!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
They were almost all above the knee, some more like mid-thigh. https://www.google.com/search?q=1966...0umPO2wgEsM%3A, https://www.google.com/search?q=1966...IuNUucAIHHM%3A, https://www.google.com/search?q=1966...AStKhuOvXzM%3A, https://www.google.com/search?q=1966..._DrFouTd7YM%3A, for a few. Look at this form-fitting get up: https://www.google.com/search?q=1966...mNQNvBUrxhM%3A. Oh, wait, that's from 1965!

That's a funny question. You yap on and on about women's/girls' responsibility, but you have to ask about male responsibility? Maybe to not think with their d*^)s. That's what the implication is, that if women don't dress modestly, even a five year old whose tummy is peeking out when she raises her arms and is wearing a top that is not tucked in, they will be sexually assaulted.
The dresses and skirts in your original link were almost all barely above the knee. That was honestly a terrible rebuttal to the 60s argument. I was surprised they were so long in that link, actually, and certainly don't need pictures of 60s fashion (love early 60s fashion but not the more risque later things). (I don't necessarily think schools need strict dress codes.)

Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The dresses and skirts in your original link were almost all barely above the knee. That was honestly a terrible rebuttal to the 60s argument. I was surprised they were so long in that link, actually, and certainly don't need pictures of 60s fashion (love early 60s fashion but not the more risque later things). (I don't necessarily think schools need strict dress codes.)
Oh, come on! I posted two links. One has to be first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education