Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If you dress like a chef, you will be treated like a chef.

If you dress like a hooker . . . and that IS your own fault. No one is forcing you to dress like a hooker. Don't want to be treated like a hooker? Don't dress like one.

And boys get comments about the underwear. My friend said they would get tickets where she used to live as the town made a rule about it. There is no law about how women dress.

How about instead of enforcing the idea that girls have the right to dress like hookers, we hold them to having some self respect and understanding that they don;t need to show their parts to get attention to think they are beautiful. Because that is what they are taught today shorter, see through skin tight is best. Not: I don't need to dress sl--ty to get attention.
Why would a chef be treated any differently than a hooker?

No law about how women dress? There are many laws about women going topless, which breastfeeding moms, among others, have challenged. There are also many laws about "indecent exposure" that apply to both sexes.
The 33 States That Allow Women To Be Topless - TheRichest
Indecent Exposure - FindLaw
State Indecent Exposure Laws - FindLaw (Look up indecent exposure laws in your state.)

You are very anti-woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Lol. Very questionable. 15-16 year old girls wearing swim suit coverups as dresses is not the issue, the issue is the perv pointing it out. Like I'm the only person who noticed it as well, haha.

The double standard is hysterical, a mom brings up this issue at a school board meeting all is good and will be taken under consideration, a father brings up this same issue and he's a pedophile.

Btw, why don't the female teachers wear dresses like these, just curious?
Why would the female teachers dress like teens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm in a school where the dress code is not enforced, and I see things I prefer not to mention nearly every day. The boys offend just as often as the girls. And phetaroi is right--they dress the same way their parents do. In fact, the parents are often dressed worse than their children when they come to school to get them for a dismissal. If you have seen a gangsta rap video, then you know what I'm talking about.
Yes!

I used to work in a pediatricians' office. When the mom would be dressed in similar clothing to her pre-teen/teen daughter, my co-worker from South Africa said in SA that was called "mutton dressed like lamb"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please. Some particular item of clothing in one place is appropriate, while in another place may not be appropriate. Surely you aren't suggesting that teens wear bikinis in church and tuxedos at the beach.
Well, yeah, but the point is skin is showing in beach clothes, also, as pointed out somewhere, in athletic clothes. Female runners wear those little shorts that look like swimsuit bottoms and sports bras. Does that arouse the male runners?

Quote:
It's a figure of speech for heavens sake, the shaving part. Some women do figure it out, the ones that don't walk around in yoga pants with the "cameltoe" showing, and guess what? Although they should know better, who cares??, they are making grown up choices. These are little girls and their parents should know better. That's just my opinion, geez.

As for the school board meeting, I've been to quite a few, and when a concerned father asked whether or not a dress code should be considered, of course he was asked why, then all you heard was whispers of him being a pedophile, because he said between the boys saggy pants and the girls provocative clothing shouldn't the school teach what happens in the real world and how dressing like this isn't well thought of. I laughed him off as I just assumed he was a wacko conservative. Months later the issue came up because a teacher had sent a girl to the office for an entire week straight because of what she was wearing, that teacher did not return after that summer, she had been with the district for 7 years. Basically she sent the wrong girl to the office.

Look I've worked in offices before and yes some of the women wore short dresses with cleveage, certainly they knew why guys hung around their desks, I don't blame the women at all, use what you got to get you where you want to go, does that apply to all of them?,of course not, but some yes. In these offices though, 3/4s of the women didn't wear a dress like that, only a 1/4 at most. Funny thing is, not one of them had a dress so short that it showed their butt cheeks when they walked, not one. But apparently it's appropriate for 15-16 girls in high school, ok, I was wrong.

What was really weird at this National Honors Soceity event was that all the boys had ties with long sleeve shirts and at a minimum, khaki pants with belts, no saggy pants or skinny jeans. No tank tops or sneakers either. To be fair some of the boys like my son are on the football team, while the school doesn't have a dress code, he does, much like the girls field hockey coach, her girls were easily picked out.
I've conversed with a lot of men in life, fathers, my own, my spouse's and my patients'; brothers, mine and my DH's; doctors; boyfriends; my kids' friends fathers; pastors; boyfriends; husbands (2); etc and never heard that "figure of speech" until you posted it. It's crude.

No wonder people called him a pedophile if he thought teen girls were "provacative".

Some definitions of "cleavage" are absurd. I've seen it on here.

How sexist!

Most adult women don't find those garments attractive on them.

Oh, come on! First it was "barely covering their butts" now it's with cheeks showing. I never heard of any school allowing boys or girls to dress like that.

I'm sure they were all pure as the driven snow, just innocently sitting there with these vixens. No wonder you're not taken seriously.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why would a chef be treated any differently than a hooker?

No law about how women dress? There are many laws about women going topless, which breastfeeding moms, among others, have challenged. There are also many laws about "indecent exposure" that apply to both sexes.
The 33 States That Allow Women To Be Topless - TheRichest
Indecent Exposure - FindLaw
State Indecent Exposure Laws - FindLaw (Look up indecent exposure laws in your state.)

You are very anti-woman.
When I go into the kitchen at a restaurant, I expect to see a chef .. not a hooker. Pretty simple as to how a person dressed as a chef .. would get treated like a chef and be expected to ACT like a chef.

You are equating a woman breastfeeding an infant to a scantily clad 15-year-old girl? They couldn't be more different.

Explain how instilling self respect in girls by explaining they don't have to sexualize themselves by showing off body parts is anti-woman. It is by its very nature, PRO-women.

Anti-women, ha. Please tell my husband that.

When did telling girls that they DON'T have to sexualize themselves become a BAD THING??

Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. If men cannot discuss the clothing choices of girls, then women cannot discuss the clothing choices of boys.

That's why I'm glad most school boards I have worked for were fairly evenly split between men and women.
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand what "a discussion" entails.

Detailed descriptions of underage, teenage girls nipple rings, cleavage, and pubic hair is not a "discussion.

These comments are not a "discussion:"

"If you dress like a hooker, you'll get treated like a hooker!"

"Girls dress like sluts!"

"So the other day I went to to the high school where my son's go for a National Honors Soceity Award .... the amount of space between their butts and the bottom of these outfits were short, like shave before you leave the home short and I don't mean their legs."

An actual discussion would be a group of people discussing their concerns about the way some teenagers choose to dress, which I'm sure would be similar to the discussions our parents had about us, and their parents had about them.

Railing specifically against teenage girls and calling them slutty is not a discussion, an no one here is concerned about them. They just feel like picking on someone, and teenagers are an easy target.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:47 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
I did not see one vagina, butt cheeks, but no vaginas were exposed to my knowledge...
Just my pet peeve, but you do know that a vagina is INTERNAL..."vagina" does not refer to any external genitalia so you wouldn't be able to see it. Learn your body parts so you can intelligently talk about this topic you discuss at such length in such detail.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just my pet peeve, but you do know that a vagina is INTERNAL..."vagina" does not refer to any external genitalia so you wouldn't be able to see it. Learn your body parts so you can intelligently talk about this topic you discuss at such length in such detail.
No, he probably doesn't know that.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand what "a discussion" entails.

Detailed descriptions of underage, teenage girls nipple rings, cleavage, and pubic hair is not a "discussion.

These comments are not a "discussion:"

"If you dress like a hooker, you'll get treated like a hooker!"

"Girls dress like sluts!"

"So the other day I went to to the high school where my son's go for a National Honors Soceity Award .... the amount of space between their butts and the bottom of these outfits were short, like shave before you leave the home short and I don't mean their legs."

An actual discussion would be a group of people discussing their concerns about the way some teenagers choose to dress, which I'm sure would be similar to the discussions our parents had about us, and their parents had about them.

Railing specifically against teenage girls and calling them slutty is not a discussion, an no one here is concerned about them. They just feel like picking on someone, and teenagers are an easy target.
I've criticized that poster's posts at least twice. So get off it.

As a principal, I had to grapple with a mild dress code. It was always a struggle. But what we didn't need was people saying that one group couldn't express their opinions while another group could. Whether you like it or not -- and whether I like it or not -- there is still a degree of freedom of speech in this country. And in fact, the issue of freedom of speech has been brought into the discussion of dress codes by at least one federal district court. A fairly good summary about the law and school dress codes can be found here: School Dress Codes - FindLaw

However, men do have a right to join the discussion about school dress codes. But this is a topic that gets heavily into shaming...as it did more than once in this thread. A man talks about female clothing appropriateness in schools and he is accused of leering. A citizen gets into a discussion about the laws regarding child predators and he/she gets accused of being a predator himself/herself). A citizen joins a discussions of the legalization of drugs, and he/she gets accused of being a druggie. A citizen gets into a discussion of the strictness of various laws and he/she is accused of being "soft on crime". It's shaming, and it ought not be happening anywhere.

There's a big difference between calling a particular type of clothing slutty, than calling a person (in this case a student) slutty.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
When I go into the kitchen at a restaurant, I expect to see a chef .. not a hooker. Pretty simple as to how a person dressed as a chef .. would get treated like a chef and be expected to ACT like a chef.

You are equating a woman breastfeeding an infant to a scantily clad 15-year-old girl? They couldn't be more different.

Explain how instilling self respect in girls by explaining they don't have to sexualize themselves by showing off body parts is anti-woman. It is by its very nature, PRO-women.

Anti-women, ha. Please tell my husband that.

When did telling girls that they DON'T have to sexualize themselves become a BAD THING??
What's your obsession with chefs? When did you ever go into a restaurant and see the chef in the first place, and when did the chef look like a hooker, and please tell me how a chef and a hooker are supposed to "look". Chefs don't all wear the cutsie little hats and aprons, you know. They do dress to protect themselves from burns and the like.

You were saying there are no laws restricting women's clothing. I pointed out that some women have been arrested for public breast feeding, citing laws that women cannot go topless.

What "body parts" are you referring to? As renee pointed out, a vagina is internal. Breasts are external. No matter what a woman does with them, some men like to look at them. I find it hard to believe in the extreme that there were a dozen girls at an NHS induction who were wearing see-through tops with no bras.

You are putting words into my mouth with that LAST!

Quote:
There's a big difference between calling a particular type of clothing slutty, than calling a person (in this case a student) slutty.
I agree. What we're seeing here is girls being referred to as hookers, and statements made that if they dress like hookers (whatever that means) they'll be treated like hookers.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What's your obsession with chefs? When did you ever go into a restaurant and see the chef in the first place, and when did the chef look like a hooker, and please tell me how a chef and a hooker are supposed to "look". Chefs don't all wear the cutsie little hats and aprons, you know. They do dress to protect themselves from burns and the like.

You were saying there are no laws restricting women's clothing. I pointed out that some women have been arrested for public breast feeding, citing laws that women cannot go topless.

What "body parts" are you referring to? As renee pointed out, a vagina is internal. Breasts are external. No matter what a woman does with them, some men like to look at them. I find it hard to believe in the extreme that there were a dozen girls at an NHS induction who were wearing see-through tops with no bras.

You are putting words into my mouth with that LAST!

I agree. What we're seeing here is girls being referred to as hookers, and statements made that if they dress like hookers (whatever that means) they'll be treated like hookers.
I repeat: WHEN did it become a BAD THING for girls to understand that they don't need to sexualize themselves?

If you are dressed like a hooker ... don't be shocked when people STARE AT YOU and think you're cheap. If you are dressed like a chef and in a restaurant, well, I'm, going to see you, and think, hey there's the CHEF. She'll be cooking our food. ??? Not sure why this basic statement is difficult to comprehend. If I see someone wearing a police uniform, I'm not going to think she is a zookeeper.

I think common sense not only left the building but has run screaming from it ... and so will I. I see the exit door.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I repeat: WHEN did it become a BAD THING for girls to understand that they don't need to sexualize themselves?

If you are dressed like a hooker ... don't be shocked when people STARE AT YOU and think you're cheap. If you are dressed like a chef and in a restaurant, well, I'm, going to see you, and think, hey there's the CHEF. She'll be cooking our food. ??? Not sure why this basic statement is difficult to comprehend. If I see someone wearing a police uniform, I'm not going to think she is a zookeeper.

I think common sense not only left the building but has run screaming from it ... and so will I. I see the exit door.
Since I've heard so many of these "I'm leaving" posts (which are supposedly against the TOS here), and yet the poster doesn't bow out, I'm going to reply anyway.

What's your obsession with hookers? Where are you running into all these people?

How are these girls "sexualizing" themselves? What does being dressed like a hooker look like? Care to post a few pictures? Chefs, zookeepers, police officers, what's next? You do know that many police wear plainclothes, and I have no idea what a zookeeper wears.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-16-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:

What does a hooker dress like? How many hookers are you acquainted with? Are we talking about Las Vegas strip hookers (who dress quite well, so I'm told) or meth addicts who prostitute themselves to get high?

Do you drive around the seedy areas of town at night and look for hookers? And once you decide that someone must be a hooker, do you take note of what they are wearing so you can dress the exact opposite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education