Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:28 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It sounds like the school is trying to treat everyone equally.
--everybody wears the same thing, girls don't get more options than boys.
--don't discuss any kind of religion, christian, muslim, judism...

I think it's great, and a big step toward the kids learning to treat everybody the same, regardless of gender, socioeconomic status, or religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If boys can't wear shorts, skorts, or skirts, then I don't think girls should be allowed either.

Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,618,692 times
This is why this is more progressive BS.

If I were a 3rd grader, telling me that I can't dress like the little girl I am, in appropriate length dresses or skirts is denying me pride in being a girl. Boys and girls are different. The unisex stuff is more of the progressive agenda.

I can understand requiring pants for vo-tech programs, but this is 3rd grade.

That's why I'm suggesting that the OP go elsewhere. A school that would walk on the rights of young girls to dress like ladies is bound to have a lot of other problems.

And if the rule was started because the administrators are too lazy to enforce dress codes or want to keep boys from wearing skirts to school, I certainly don't need my daughter exposed to such nonsense. I want her attending a school where hard working adults with some common sense are in charge. There are schools like that out there, but they are in the minority.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My granddaughter's school just sent the new 2017-2018 school Handbook. She is 8 and will be going into 3rd grade. Uniforms are mandatory. My granddaughter has been allowed to wear shorts, skorts, pants and skirts ever since starting there in kindergarten. Now the new handbook is saying that girls in the 3rd grade and up have to wear only pants. We are not too happy about this and neither is she. She hates wearing pants, doesn't even wear jeans. Why can't girls dress like girls? Why does she have to wear what the boys wear? Why can't she wear a jumper or a skirt just above the knee? Is this school (public charter school) trying to push some unisex agenda on the kids?

They also don't allow any type of religious songs in the Christmas show. Nothing but secular songs. I have sent an email to the school and am tempted to just send her to school in a jumper or skirt on the first day and see what happens. We are considering changing schools and are checking into the cost of a private school now. It's been a long time since I went to public school but I'm shocked at the changes. She was talking about her church event to one of the other kids and another one nearby chimed in saying we are not supposed to talk about the Lord. What the hell has happened in our schools? God is out, PC is in?

To those of you with girls would this bother you? Try and keep it civil folks. I'm not interested in comments about special snowflakes, etc. Notice I said we are talking about pulling her out of that school so you don't need to tell me to "just take her out".
This is your grandchild, yes? Do you have custody of her? If not, what do her parents think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
I think girls should be allowed to wear whatever they feel like as long as theirs outfits do not distract boys and teachers from school work.
As far as religion goes, I think that school is a place for academics and worshiping isn't part of it, at least in public schools.
If third grade boys are distracted by girls in skits, they've got problems! Why do girls have to dress so as not to distract the boys? What are they being protected from, especially at that young age?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:30 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,170,832 times
I guess they haven't yet a student from a minority religious sect like the Oneness Pentecostals or Orthodox Judaism that mandates the wearing of skirts

Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,698 times
Quote:
My granddaughter's school just sent the new 2017-2018 school Handbook. She is 8 and will be going into 3rd grade. Uniforms are mandatory. My granddaughter has been allowed to wear shorts, skorts, pants and skirts ever since starting there in kindergarten. Now the new handbook is saying that girls in the 3rd grade and up have to wear only pants. We are not too happy about this and neither is she. She hates wearing pants, doesn't even wear jeans. Why can't girls dress like girls? Why does she have to wear what the boys wear? Why can't she wear a jumper or a skirt just above the knee? Is this school (public charter school) trying to push some unisex agenda on the kids?

They also don't allow any type of religious songs in the Christmas show. Nothing but secular songs. I have sent an email to the school and am tempted to just send her to school in a jumper or skirt on the first day and see what happens. We are considering changing schools and are checking into the cost of a private school now. It's been a long time since I went to public school but I'm shocked at the changes. She was talking about her church event to one of the other kids and another one nearby chimed in saying we are not supposed to talk about the Lord. What the hell has happened in our schools? God is out, PC is in?

To those of you with girls would this bother you? Try and keep it civil folks. I'm not interested in comments about special snowflakes, etc. Notice I said we are talking about pulling her out of that school so you don't need to tell me to "just take her out".
It sounds a little draconian. I suppose they just want the same rules for everyone, so they don't have to deal with 2 different dress codes, arguments about skirt length, etc. However, it clearly infringes on religious freedom, as many religions don't allow pants for girls, unless they are under a skirt. And I think the thing about not talking about religion is weird - in fact, I question if you are telling the truth. Separation of church and state does not in any way preclude kids from talking about their religion or their beliefs - it only prohibits the school from advancing the agenda of one religion over another.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:

Literally everything you said could be made against uniforms altogether.

If you agree to uniforms you agreee to uniforms. End of story.

Besides this is a school of choice right? Then exercise your choice and go elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I guess they haven't yet a student from a minority religious sect like the Oneness Pentecostals or Orthodox Judaism that mandates the wearing of skirts
It's a school of choice not the regular public school as such they can require uniforms. I teach at a public magnet, we require uniforms 2 days a week. No exemptions granted even for religious reasons.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,777,887 times
I was in high school back in the 40s, when they got so tired of girls especially trying to look hot to attract boys that they had a hard time keeping the kids focusing on education. The school established a dress code, developed by the PTA.

Boys had to wear pants and shirts of a certain type. Girls had to wear a medium jumper style dress and a white mans shirt type blouse. Skirts had to be down to the middle of their knees. When this was instituted, the test scores went up considerably for both boys and girls. It solved a lot of problems and no longer did they have to send students home because their clothing was not appropriate.

Apparently they are having trouble in the OPs school, and some of the girls are getting beyond being appropriately dressed, etc., which is disrupting the other students and lowering test scores which is a measure of the quality of school. They are seeking an end to the problem, and getting the kids back to going to school to learn as that is what the school's main goal is.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I was in high school back in the 40s, when they got so tired of girls especially trying to look hot to attract boys that they had a hard time keeping the kids focusing on education. The school established a dress code, developed by the PTA.

Boys had to wear pants and shirts of a certain type. Girls had to wear a medium jumper style dress and a white mans shirt type blouse. Skirts had to be down to the middle of their knees. When this was instituted, the test scores went up considerably for both boys and girls. It solved a lot of problems and no longer did they have to send students home because their clothing was not appropriate.

Apparently they are having trouble in the OPs school, and some of the girls are getting beyond being appropriately dressed, etc., which is disrupting the other students and lowering test scores which is a measure of the quality of school. They are seeking an end to the problem, and getting the kids back to going to school to learn as that is what the school's main goal is.
Girls are just sk*nks, right? You are sure leaping to a conclusion with that statement in bold. They're sexist, is what they are.

And good grief! The 40s were the days of poodle skirts, cashmere sweaters, stuff like that. Why just look at these sl*tty looking clothes: https://www.google.com/search?q=1940...w=1860&bih=906
I think the third from the left in the third row is PE outfits.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:27 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,440,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It sounds a little draconian. I suppose they just want the same rules for everyone, so they don't have to deal with 2 different dress codes, arguments about skirt length, etc. However, it clearly infringes on religious freedom, as many religions don't allow pants for girls, unless they are under a skirt. And I think the thing about not talking about religion is weird - in fact, I question if you are telling the truth. Separation of church and state does not in any way preclude kids from talking about their religion or their beliefs - it only prohibits the school from advancing the agenda of one religion over another.
I tend to agree about questioning the OP about the religion thing. I have two kids in pubic school, and I work in education, and I have never run across an instance where kids were told not to talk about God, etc. BTW, they're girls, and I would have no problem with them having to wear pants. I think it's only fair that the dress code be the same across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education